FDA Where do we actually stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLawbird

Oct 19, 2016
Okay I hope this is is in the right section, please feel free to move it and berate me if it's not.
Now, I really don't understand what is going on, it's been two months since the vaping doomsday date of 8/8. I've been digging through posts and arcticles and can't really find any up to date relevant information, even the Casaa website seems kind of ambiguous about its news. Now I've only recently started vaping again, about 3 weeks ago, and have ordered juice, 2 nautilus's, an RDA clone, ipower 80w. And haven't had a single issue with any of them being shipped to me. And nothing for me seems to have changed since I first dabbled into vaping about a year ago.
Keep in mind what seems obvious to some isn't really relevant to me. I live near and work on an Indian reservation. They obviously dominate the tobacco industry here since it's all tax free, anddon't have to adhere to most state regulations.. There arent many b&m vape shops around here because they struggle to exist off the reservation. So I've not personally had to witness the fall of any stores, and don't hear any of the horror stories.
I'm living in my own safe little vape bubble and am blind to what's going on.
I'm in Ny btw.
I guess I need kind of a dumbed down version of whays going on too, because anything I did find that was relevant is kind of beyond my understanding, mostly in the ways that it's worded.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The FDA has deemed electronic cigarettes, and pretty much anything related to e-cigs, as tobacco products or tobacco product components.
This subjects all of the products to extremely strict regulations and costly testing, and it is likely that few to none of the current products will be available once the regulations fully take effect in August 2018.

You may not have noticed much of anything changed so far, that's because they regulations take effect in stages. The big one is that by 8/2018, if a product is not FDA approved, it cannot be sold.

The "smaller", meaning equally threatening but less obvious, worries are local and state laws prohibiting/taxing vapor products.

So far, the only federal regulations in effect are no new products as of 8/8/2016, no health claims, and no sales to minors.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
As for up to date news, there are lawsuits underway, no real news on those fronts yet. There is also the Cole-Bishop amendment and HR 2058 both of which would change the grandfather date, so that products on the market as of 8/2016 could remain on the market after 8/2018.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
...about 3 weeks ago, and have ordered juice, 2 nautilus's, an RDA clone, ipower 80w...
It ain't enough. :)

My advice:

1.) Learn to rebuild coils. Get some RTA's.

2.) Learn to DIY your own e-juice.

At the very worst, even if the courts side in our favor you'll continue to save money.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana

My advice:

At the very worst, even if the courts side in our favor you'll continue to save money.
I would add at least one good reliable mech (+ the knowledge to use it safely) to the list just in case. THings with circuit boards are far more likely to die than purely mechanicals and with a mech you have a prayer of repairing it yourself.

collinsmcrae

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015

My advice:

3.) Learn to make your own mods. It's easier than you might think, and the skill and knowledge will last you until your hands stop working.

I've done minimal stockpiling because I know that I can make my own highly functional devices if I need to, and the government will never be able to stop me. I only stockpile atty's, because they are nearly impossible to manufacture with simple tools.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Okay I hope this is is in the right section, please feel free to move it and berate me if it's not.
Now, I really don't understand what is going on, it's been two months since the vaping doomsday date of 8/8. I've been digging through posts and arcticles and can't really find any up to date relevant information, even the Casaa website seems kind of ambiguous about its news. Now I've only recently started vaping again, about 3 weeks ago, and have ordered juice, 2 nautilus's, an RDA clone, ipower 80w. And haven't had a single issue with any of them being shipped to me. And nothing for me seems to have changed since I first dabbled into vaping about a year ago.
Keep in mind what seems obvious to some isn't really relevant to me. I live near and work on an Indian reservation. They obviously dominate the tobacco industry here since it's all tax free, anddon't have to adhere to most state regulations.. There arent many b&m vape shops around here because they struggle to exist off the reservation. So I've not personally had to witness the fall of any stores, and don't hear any of the horror stories.
I'm living in my own safe little vape bubble and am blind to what's going on.
I'm in Ny btw.
I guess I need kind of a dumbed down version of whays going on too, because anything I did find that was relevant is kind of beyond my understanding, mostly in the ways that it's worded.
Near the beginning of Obama's term a law was passed intending to give the FDA authority to regulate tobacco products, something they did not have previously. Now the FDA proposes to exercise that authority in a way that could push most vaping products off the market including everything I use. What they assert right now is absolute authority to do more than they propose or less, depending on their whim. That kind of unrestricted power is a definition of uncertainty. May be a lawsuit or legislation will limit that power. May be they will limit themselves. Then again, may be not.

I'm doing two things, being politically active and stockpiling. I vote, write my representatives, and participate in the public discussion. The stockpile will cost less than it cost to smoke for 3 months and is in the signiture area below.

I'm doing all this partly for me and partly for the billion people who still smoke.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
3.) Learn to make your own mods. It's easier than you might think, and the skill and knowledge will last you until your hands stop working.

I've done minimal stockpiling because I know that I can make my own highly functional devices if I need to, and the government will never be able to stop me. I only stockpile atty's, because they are nearly impossible to manufacture with simple tools.

Making mods and learning to make mods can be a lot of fun. It's been a little while since I've found the time to tinker. But, I have a design to throw together that can be built with minimal tools (bandsaw & drill press). RDA and mech mod hybrid, Delrin body, screws for the atty posts (one direct to the positive contact and the other a contact for the switch). Making an RDA can be easier than it's made out to be without the need for typical machining (lathe or mill).

collinsmcrae

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Making mods and learning to make mods can be a lot of fun. It's been a little while since I've found the time to tinker. But, I have a design to throw together that can be built with minimal tools (bandsaw & drill press). RDA and mech mod hybrid, Delrin body, screws for the atty posts (one direct to the positive contact and the other a contact for the switch). Making an RDA can be easier than it's made out to be without the need for typical machining (lathe or mill).
Exactly. Outside of soldering equipment, all you really need is a drill, some hole-saws, files, and sand paper. And thanks for pointing out that I forgot to mention how fun and gratifying the hobby can be, because tha's the most important point.

I'll look into making rda's as well. I honestly just assumed it would be too dificult. If there are any tutorials on the rda design you use, please share.

Last edited:

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Exactly. Outside of soldering equipment, all you really need is a drill, some hole-saws, files, and sand paper. And thanks for pointing out that I forgot to mention how fun and gratifying the hobby can be, because tha's the most important point.

I'll look into making rda's as well. I honestly just assumed it would be too dificult. If there are any tutorials on the rda design you use, please share.

I'll put together a photo tutorial when I get around to building it. Though, I occationally find the need for solder, this design will not have any joints.

I like to use copper strip for the contact, conductor, and switch. It will be a stick (single bat) or rounded rectangle (parallel) and not an L shape like the pic.
image.jpg

The switch will contact the negative post after it goes down into the body. The positive post continuing though as the positive contact. SS tubing and a delrin topcap, side or bottom air.

Reactions: collinsmcrae

TheLawbird

Oct 19, 2016
Definitely some great replies, but lessifer you really hit nail on the head, that's exactly what I was looking for.
I've dabbled a bit now with building my own coils on a mephisto clone. And I'm definitely ready to add a little more to my collectiononce I have the funds. I'm very fortunate to be able to get some supplies at whole sale value :p
And although I've never used a mech, I'm pretty well versed in Ohms law, so that's definitely in the works. I'm not too worried about getting a mech though, as it would just be too easy to make one.

Reactions: Lessifer

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Definitely some great replies, but lessifer you really hit nail on the head, that's exactly what I was looking for.
I've dabbled a bit now with building my own coils on a mephisto clone. And I'm definitely ready to add a little more to my collectiononce I have the funds. I'm very fortunate to be able to get some supplies at whole sale value :p
And although I've never used a mech, I'm pretty well versed in Ohms law, so that's definitely in the works. I'm not too worried about getting a mech though, as it would just be too easy to make one.
Then might I suggest stocking up on 510 connectors?

collinsmcrae

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Exactly. Outside of soldering equipment, all you really need is a drill, some hole-saws, files, and sand paper. And thinks for pointing out that I forgot to mention how fun and gratifying the hobby can be, because tha's the most important point.
If/when I'm forced to engineer and build my own mods I'll just hang it up.

In the grand scheme of life, It's only vaping.

You don't have to engineer a mod. There are countless tutorials for making simple box mods on YouTube. I just follow the tutorials honestly. The good news for people who don't enjoy this sort of hobby is that there will be loads of people who will be making mods if the market is decimated by regulations, and you will be able to simply pay someone to make one for you. In fact, you will find someone on ECF (there's a whole section for this stuff).

But there's nothing wrong with quitting vaping altogether, as you pointed out. I plan on quitting at some point, myself. I do not plan on needing to tote all this crap around for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: KODIAK (TM)

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
This, to me, would be the key. Is there a 'real world' application for this necessary bit of tech other than for our purposes?

Aside from the "odd" application such as **cough** flashlights? Nope. Mention 510 connector and it's pretty much a given you're talking about vaping equipment as that's the common use for that designation.

Reactions: skoony

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
You don't have to engineer a mod. There are countless tutorials for making simple box mods on YouTube.

You don't understand. I am lazy. Very lazy. I sit in my recliner and will wait hours for somebody to pass by so they can fetch me a beer. If Mrs. Kodiak wants me sober for the evening she simply clears the house. (Damn that woman).

The expense aside, I quit smoking mainly because of the physical exertion required to go from recliner to garage. Or to leave my office for the back alley to join the dumpster-diving winos and crack "ladies".

Vaping is headed that way and in a lot of places it's already there. When/if that FDA hammer becomes final I'll certainly consider quitting or seeking a different, more socially palatable vice.
I do not plan on needing to tote all this crap around for the rest of my life.
Yes, the old days when all you needed was a book of matches and some Tic-Tac's.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Where do we actually stand?

In a deep hole half full of water. The weatherman says rain is likely for the next 40 days & nights... :eek:
    Where do we actually stand?
    In a deep hole half full of water. The weatherman says rain is likely for the next few forever's... :confused:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread