FDA Where do we actually stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Aside from the "odd" application such as **cough** flashlights? Nope. Mention 510 connector and it's pretty much a given you're talking about vaping equipment as that's the common use for that designation.
Agreed.
I am not sure but,as far as i can tell a 510 connector has only one use.
(modding it for a flashlight doesn't count.)
When one google's 510 connector the results show a ton of sources from vape supply vendors.
When one google's electronic connectors and then checks companies like Digi-key,Mouser, or ,
Allied,etc, one can not find such a connector in general use. Molex makes a connector with 510
in the part number. No picture is available. I don't think it's what one would think of as a 510
connector.

I had never heard the term 510 connector prior to vaping. Since then I have never heard the
term 510 connector used other than to refer to a connector used in vaping devices. I believe
@ENAUD is on the right track. If the parts are allowed to maintain their status as tobacco
products one will have to fabricate there own hardware in a worse case scenario. On the bright
side there a probably so many of these sitting in bins of vaper stores everywhere availability
will be more of a long term issue. The only reason I am mentioning this is seems that common
wisdom in the vaping community says they (the powers that be),can't regulate a connector.
Well it's a proprietor connector not in general use. This could be one of the reasons the FDA
wants their hands on the hardware.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Reactions: kross8

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Agreed.
I am not sure but,as far as i can tell a 510 connector has only one use.
(modding it for a flashlight doesn't count.)
When one google's 510 connector the results show a ton of sources from vape supply vendors.
When one google's electronic connectors and then checks companies like Digi-key,Mouser, or ,
Allied,etc, one can not find such a connector in general use. Molex makes a connector with 510
in the part number. No picture is available. I don't think it's what one would think of as a 510
connector.

I had never heard the term 510 connector prior to vaping. Since then I have never heard the
term 510 connector used other than to refer to a connector used in vaping devices. I believe
@ENAUD is on the right track. If the parts are allowed to maintain their status as tobacco
products one will have to fabricate there own hardware in a worse case scenario. On the bright
side there a probably so many of these sitting in bins of vaper stores everywhere availability
will be more of a long term issue. The only reason I am mentioning this is seems that common
wisdom in the vaping community says they (the powers that be),can't regulate a connector.
Well it's a proprietor connector not in general use. This could be one of the reasons the FDA
wants their hands on the hardware.
Regards
Mike

You may be right. But somebody once posted the size details of the threading and a link to taps and dies in that size. As I recall they were listed on the tap and die manufacturers site by their size and not by the name 510. From that I had assumed it was just one of a thousand standard thread sizes that was adopted for vaping. They wouldn't have wanted to refer to their threading by a list of numbers for pitch and so forth, so they chose a name at random. If that's the case then it may be used elsewhere but it wouldn't be referred to as 510. If not then the first vaping manufacturer to use that threading would have had to invent a new thread size that had never been used before and tool up from scratch. Same would apply to Ego threading etc.

Unfortunately I didn't save that info.

Reactions: collinsmcrae

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
You may be right. But somebody once posted the size details of the threading and a link to taps and dies in that size. As I recall they were listed on the tap and die manufacturers site by their size and not by the name 510. From that I had assumed it was just one of a thousand standard thread sizes that was adopted for vaping. They wouldn't have wanted to refer to their threading by a list of numbers for pitch and so forth, so they chose a name at random. If that's the case then it may be used elsewhere but it wouldn't be referred to as 510. If not then the first vaping manufacturer to use that threading would have had to invent a new thread size that had never been used before and tool up from scratch. Same would apply to Ego threading etc.

Unfortunately I didn't save that info.

7mm X .5mm fits with the standards of measurement but not is the thread standard.

Standard M7 couse threads have a 1mm pitch and M7 fine threads is defined as a .75mm pitch.

Reactions: englishmick

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Calling it a 510 connector isn't random. It's because it was first used on the Joyetech 510 electronic cigarette. They became all the rage because the atomizers produced more and better vapor due to their (slightly) lower resistance. And I'm pretty sure it is just another standard thread size, albeit a somewhat rarely used one.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
@englishmick ,@Endor ,@Verb and,@tokarev. I agree that the threading is
in a standard format and can be duplicated easily. My main point is the 510
connector as a whole functioning unit is unique to the vaping industry.
Consider the standard VHS connector which depending on the cable is used
for audio,video and,data. I remember when lan cable became the standard
for data and switching out boards at work for the computer network. Prior
to that the connector itself was a standard vhs type connector.
regards
Mike

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
regards
Mike

I get what you're saying. "510" refers to the whole setup of a negative outer ring with an insulated positive connection in the center, that happens to use a standard thread size. That presumably is unique to vaping.

Seems like it would still be hard to regulate and control given that it's constructed from standard parts. I would have said that about a lot of what the FDA wants to do though, so who knows.

TheLawbird

Oct 19, 2016
I really can't see the 510 connectors being deemed a tobacco product. I've been wrong on several occasions in my life though :p
Someone should replace their coil with an incandescent filimant so we can justify our 510 connectors and RDAs as diy flashlights.
On a serious note, even if 510s are still legal, I imagine they won't be as readily available since there might no longer be such a demand for bulk quantities by the mod manufacturers.
The few who would be willing to sell in small quantities to the diy Joe's may not want to risk the potential litigation or worse consequences associated with selling an unapproved "tobacco product"
Long story short....I'm definitely grab a couple soon while I still can.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
regards
Mike
Skoony, this makes sense. A 510 connector not only consists of a threaded part (which does use standard albeit uncommon thread) but also the electrical part (e.g. center pin). It is more of an electrical connection standard more than anything, and certainly it is unique to vaping in reality.

My guess is that the FDA will be more concerned over the device and not necessarily the connector. As mentioned earlier, tap and die sets are available, and it relatively straightforward to create your own if needed. It really isn't something that can be easily regulated, especially by the FDA.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
As mentioned earlier, tap and die sets are available, and it relatively straightforward to create your own if needed. It really isn't something that can be easily regulated, especially by the FDA.
For YOU it might be relatively easy to make your own but not for many of us.

I could probably cobble together a puck mod with a little work. Make the connector for one from scratch not so much. Hence one of the first things I stocked up on was finished connectors (also the one thing I scavenged from every dead ego battery and other mod for the last 4 years provided the connector was still good).

If I can find the instructions on how to use the tap and die I will pick up a set as I could see it as being useful in possibly fixing threads in current gear that are less than in good shape.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
On a serious note, even if 510s are still legal
They will always be legal. Regulated way more than average but,legal.
This is the insidious nature of government regulation in general.
They don't ban it. They bring it under their protective umbrella of
safe keeping as it were. It's all to protect ourselves from ourselves.
All of this would be unnecessary except for one thing. The chillin'.

When it comes to the public arena when I was a child the rule of
thumb was,"children are to be seen and not heard". I am not sure what
is case today but, I believe one has to retrace ones steps back to that
standard when clearly things worked better and,chart a new path.
Regards
Mike

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
They will always be legal. Regulated way more than average but,legal.
This is the insidious nature of government regulation in general.
They don't ban it. They bring it under their protective umbrella of
safe keeping as it were. It's all to protect ourselves from ourselves.
All of this would be unnecessary except for one thing. The chillin'.

When it comes to the public arena when I was a child the rule of
thumb was,"children are to be seen and not heard". I am not sure what
is case today but, I believe one has to retrace ones steps back to that
standard when clearly things worked better and,chart a new path.
Regards
Mike
I don't share your optimism about always legal. My take on the situation is everything I need for vaping, meaning my particular mods, atomizers, an nicotine could beome unobtainable in the forseeable future. Fortunately it's easy and inexpensive to insure against that with a few supplies so I'm accumulating those with a few hundred dollars worth left to go, $650 total for the critical stuff for 10-20 years. It's one conversation before you've done that, another one after.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Legal or not, I think 510 connectors WILL get harder to find. Even if they remain unregulated, I believe TheLawbird is correct that the supply will drop along with demand going forward. I have a few new ones stashed away and I still have a box with every old battery I ever had (not just 510's but most of the other old connectors too). After reading this thread I'm inclined to purchase more standard 510's just in case I ever need them...and maybe a few more of those industrial grade models from FatDaddyVapes while I'm at it. :D

Reactions: collinsmcrae

collinsmcrae

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Reactions: ENAUD

collinsmcrae

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
The idea that the FDA will ever be able to successfully regulate 510 connectors is more than a little paranoid. These are very small, very simplistic parts. If parts with different specifications need to be produced to get around the FDA crackdowns, if there even are any for parts like 510's, then all you would need are adapters for your 510 attys. And like others have mentioned, it's not rocket science to make a halfway decent 510 connector yourself.

Reactions: Verb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread