Where do you think this is all headed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deblym

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2012
Sask
With all the conflicting political interests and money to be made, or lost, depending on which camp your in....what's your best guess as to what the world will look like from the e-cig users perspective in say.... 10 years.

Limited availability with prescription only? No DIY supplies and pre filled carts only? tobacco companies taking over the industry? Across the board ban?

What's your best guess?

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Okay, I'll bite. (and not all is good new- bare with me):
1. E-cigs will at first get banned like most combustible tobacco in public places
2. They will be taxed like combustible tobacco in most places.
3. Some will go back to smoking- but health conscious and those who are "sold" on the vaping idea will continue
4. As many less expensive (but not such good quality products are out there), still e-cigs will catch on...and keep catching on
5. Finally, there will be a public understanding that these are not as harmful as lighting up cigarettes
6. E-cigs will be accepted in the real world as a THR product but they will remain expensive and have many absurd controls...
7. Many will be fed up who are able to quit vaping and just quit everything....smoking too (and e-cigs helped them get there).
8. Those who need nicotine for one reason or another will keep vaping- some will go back to smoking and die an early death.

Today is the Hay Day....Vape On while you can!!

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I think that one of the restrictions are going to be the flavors- All the powers that be are still convinced that they need to "save the children" from the wicked and evil nicotine.

One thing I forgot to mention- there will always be the "underground" vapers... I plan to be one of them :lol: We will still have our flavors although we might not be able to buy nic juice that is already flavored. Unfortunately, this is the hay day for mom and pop shops too that are selling juice- they need to enjoy this while they can- I think their days are numbered, unfortunately.

colkaz5

Dec 16, 2011
Lancashire
for my two pence worth..... i agree it seems inevitable that laws will be introduced in favour of the government or big companies, but one ray of hope could be that vaping seems to have spread on a global scale very quickly and although uncle Sam seems to be getting hot under the collar about this, i have heard none of the same arguments in the UK.

if past history is anything to go by, the
uk will follow suit but probably take a generation to actually get off their backsides and do anything about it!!!!

so i think you'll still be able to get all you need internationally for a long time.

(although US prices do seem ridiculously low compared to over here, so you will probably take a hit to the pocket either way)

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
I have to say I agree with the previous posts. The favorite place to hike taxes is on cigarettes and with so many people quitting or going to vaping we've got to be the next target. You'd think they'd be encouraging us given how much our leaders care about the American people! Gubmint will always find a way to profit from what you're mak'n. Figure out how to make something people really like and want and they'll tax it to death. Enjoy 'em while you can still get 'em, but I'll never go back to analogs. We'll be the ones looking back and saying remember when?

monkeybusiness

Sep 15, 2012
notts uk
Do not for one moment ever think your government is on your side. Vested interests are everywhere.

People in the west believe, or at least we used to believe that our governments were above the corruption of the third world or the communist bloc, but the truth is they were just better at hiding it.

Your health doesn't matter. Tax revenue matters. Big business matters. Tobacco companies will be finished once the word really gets out about E-cigs. So they will kick and scream and stamp their feet to prevent that from happening.

That being said; some E-cig vendors and manufacturers haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in my limited experience. I'm absolutely certain I've used a much raved about E-cig that was very unhealthy when it failed (after one week), causing a metallic tasting smog that burnt my eyes and throat.

There's also stories of liquids tainted with diacetyl still. It's an industry in dire need of regulation. Just not punitive taxation.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Do not for one moment ever think your government is on your side. Vested interests are everywhere.

People in the west believe, or at least we used to believe that our governments were above the corruption of the third world or the communist bloc, but the truth is they were just better at hiding it.

Your health doesn't matter. Tax revenue matters. Big business matters. Tobacco companies will be finished once the word really gets out about E-cigs. So they will kick and scream and stamp their feet to prevent that from happening.

That being said; some E-cig vendors and manufacturers haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in my limited experience. I'm absolutely certain I've used a much raved about E-cig that was very unhealthy when it failed (after one week), causing a metallic tasting smog that burnt my eyes and throat.

There's also stories of liquids tainted with diacetyl still. It's an industry in dire need of regulation. Just not punitive taxation.
Our problem is not the tobacco companies,but big Pharma and the "Health organizations" that do Pharmas" bidding.

johnnytwofingers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
So they will kick and scream and stamp their feet to prevent that from happening.

More like, they'll pick up the phone, hit the speed dial to their favorite politician, schedule a lunch, and write a cheque to have some legislation written.

You're absolutely right about corruption in western governments and "health care" being a red herring.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
for my two pence worth..... i agree it seems inevitable that laws will be introduced in favour of the government or big companies, but one ray of hope could be that vaping seems to have spread on a global scale very quickly and although uncle Sam seems to be getting hot under the collar about this, i have heard none of the same arguments in the UK.

if past history is anything to go by, the
uk will follow suit but probably take a generation to actually get off their backsides and do anything about it!!!!

so i think you'll still be able to get all you need internationally for a long time.

(although US prices do seem ridiculously low compared to over here, so you will probably take a hit to the pocket either way)

I wouldn't be so sure about anything in the EU

http://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.com/2012/09/tobacco-product-directive-leaked-to.html

Total ban on all forms of smokeless tobacco across the EU (except Sweden)

Total ban on e-cigarettes

Ban on menthol and other flavourings (previously rumoured, as I reported in April)

Standardised cigarette width, length and colour

Ban on shopkeepers displaying more than one variety of each brand

Graphic warnings on packs covering 75 per cent of the surface

If this passes as the new tobacco directive in the EU the only form of tobacco/nicotine sold will be combustable tobacco (cigarettes/cigars/pipes), and NRT products. We shall see just how corrupt the EU has become.

If the FDA puts the clamps down on e-cigs by giving them a deeming regulation its bye-bye e-cigs. Nothing would be left but the most primitive e-cigs (those on the market before February 15, 2007). The FDA has a lot of leeway as to what they can do, but the tobacco board is made up of nothing but abstinence only zealots. I wouldn't get my hopes up for a positive ruling. This is the same FDA that came out with there bogus study on e-cigs in 2009, and still has it up on their web site.

No one can say how this is going to turn out in 10 years but there are a lot of clues as to where the critical government groups are leaning.

Moueix

Moved On
Aug 20, 2012
Michigan and Iowa
I'm of a different mind. So much legislation is written on behalf of insurance companies. Helmet laws, seatbelt laws, crash safety standards, you name it. They are one of the most powerful lobbies. They hire actuarials who crunch the risk numbers, and they are going to see that E-Cigs are going to SAVE them money. They will strike a deal with govt. whereby both arms benefit in 3 ways. Healthcare costs and insurance claims will go DOWN. Insurance co. profit will thereby go up. Govt will want a piece, and they only thing they can get their hands on is nic concentrate. Everything else about this is in the public domain, and can be easily made for "other purposes" (flashlights, etc.) Expect taxation at the nic level. BP and BT will want a cut, so nics will come from them, heavily taxed. Then the greed factor powers will get what they want, and give us what we will have whether they like it or not.

Your defense will be to lay up stock of nic concentrate before taxation, and buy your juices as "flavorings" without nic, and add your own concentrate. This will be the "grandfather" clause. Once those pre-tax stocks of concentrate are gone, they will have the control they seek and need. They you will see the insurance companies, govt, and BP PROMOTE the use.

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
With all the conflicting political interests and money to be made, or lost, depending on which camp your in....what's your best guess as to what the world will look like from the e-cig users perspective in say.... 10 years.

Limited availability with prescription only? No DIY supplies and pre filled carts only? Tobacco companies taking over the industry? Across the board ban?

What's your best guess?

Given my review of some of the threads in this legal section of the forum, I think it is likely that eCigs are headed in direction of being regulated as a tobacco product regardless of what some vapers think. And apparently some vapers are convinced it is a tobacco product (legally speaking).

My point remains that we are doing this to ourselves / have already done it to ourselves (via smoked tobacco).

Here are things that I think most everyone agrees with (includes vapers, smokers, ex-smokers and non-smokers):

1 - Nicotine is a drug
2 - Nicotine is an addictive drug
3 - Nicotine in the form of smoking tobacco creates second hand smoke that is potentially harmful to all persons within vicinity of that smoke
4 - Kids ought not to be exposed to the dangers inherent in 1 thru 3.

There's not really fine points of discussion in #1 and #2, and I don't think many would try to approach any fine points with those. #3 is, I believe, at the heart of the issue and is summed up with the words "potentially harmful." There are enough fine points here, especially as it relates to vaping, to fill an entire e-cig forum. From the non-smoking persons in society, all the fine points and seeming justifications for allowing vaping in society is simply likely to fall on deaf ears. Education helps, but could also open door (likely already has) to the 'potential harm' to others with eCig usage. I reckon that vapers, like myself, will exercise own versions of 'plausible deniability' when it comes to matters of potential harm. And in some instances, especially when it comes to 'secondhand smoke' (or secondhand vapor) we will carry the torch for those who seek to rid society of this evil and its perceived harm, deemed actual and serious.

#4 is what we are up against politically and is where I think we will lose, because of our mixed opinions with regards to #3. Therefore self regulation is a wonderful concept, but is impractical and not something for vapers / nic users to be deemed a reasonable authority on. As this is 'our country' and majority of us are non-nicotine users, their voice, however unreasonable / uneducated it may appear to us users, will win. If they align with us, we rejoice. If they do not align with us, we feel violated that our fundamental freedoms are being taken away.

My best guess: majority of vapers, like smokers, will (eventually) go along with heavy regulation and accept policies that ban vaping from all public places and places that are essentially shared residences (apartment units, condos, etc.). The tobacco loving vapers will have little to no issue with flavored liquids being restricted / banned. The market for vaping products will continue for awhile, perhaps indefinitely. It may be underground, or it may be a protected market (more likely). It will not be an open market for much longer. Ex-vapers will start to become part of the social fabric. Some will be all in favor of vaping as healthier alternative to smoking, and along those lines some will be in favor of the right to vape. Other ex-vapers will downplay the right of vapers and essentially view those still vaping as caught up in cycle of addiction and displaying no concern for their habit and how it may (or may not) impact society as a whole. They will show up as anti-vaping nazis to current vapers.

The battle will continue to show up as one between rights of vapers and some in society who are agents empowered to protect our children. This will be the superficial battle, and the one that will be most visible.
The actual battle is the one that confronts each individuals own attitudes around 'perceived harm.' And if smoking issues are of any historical guide, then this battle will lead to vapers / ex-vapers carrying the torch for non-nicotine addicts who feel strongly there is some harm to this and it is best not to have these devices and products around at all. An outright ban will never work, but a self imposed ban, especially among vapers (somewhat already occurring) will contribute to the de facto ban that is on the horizon.

I no longer have the optimism I had just yesterday (though might gain it back) mainly because I think vapers (and ex-smokers) are prone to self imposed bans, for the good of society and to avoid possible situations where vaping might be given a black eye. Add in local, state and nationally imposed bans, plus a few scientific reports showing potentially serious harmful effects from long term use of nicotine, and the number of vapers will likely dwindle from where it is now in the open market days of vaping.

Could say a whole bunch more, but this is the short version of what I think is likely to occur.

Joshyjoshf

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2012
United States
I'm very worried that all my nice flavors will no longer be easy to access. And as someone who is starting to dabble in crafting e-liquid, I'm afraid that I won't be able to make money on it for very long at all. I hope the FDA doesn't go too damn hard on us guys though, and hopefully there will be a way to continue on with our current style of vaping, even if it ends up being more expensive.

budynbuick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
michigan
I'm of a different mind. So much legislation is written on behalf of insurance companies. Helmet laws, seatbelt laws, crash safety standards, you name it. They are one of the most powerful lobbies. They hire actuarials who crunch the risk numbers, and they are going to see that E-Cigs are going to SAVE them money. They will strike a deal with govt. whereby both arms benefit in 3 ways. Healthcare costs and insurance claims will go DOWN. Insurance co. profit will thereby go up. Govt will want a piece, and they only thing they can get their hands on is nic concentrate. Everything else about this is in the public domain, and can be easily made for "other purposes" (flashlights, etc.) Expect taxation at the nic level. BP and BT will want a cut, so nics will come from them, heavily taxed. Then the greed factor powers will get what they want, and give us what we will have whether they like it or not.

Your defense will be to lay up stock of nic concentrate before taxation, and buy your juices as "flavorings" without nic, and add your own concentrate. This will be the "grandfather" clause. Once those pre-tax stocks of concentrate are gone, they will have the control they seek and need. They you will see the insurance companies, govt, and BP PROMOTE the use.

Hello, fellow Michigander. Very well thought out. Money, money,money.
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread