Where in the world do you find one of those pincher tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
try a pair of Cotton Pliers

https://www.google.com/search?q=den...-US:official&tbm=shop&spd=7857562043190117998

shopping

they are about 8" long, ribbing inside of the tongs to grip
should he boil them first?

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I've actually seen like a big version of tweezers, specifically more tool-like, but still have the precision of tweezers as opposed to something more like a needle-nose, something you can pinch with your fingers as opposed to gripping. That's what I'm after. I have a feeling that regular old tweezers don't have a wide enough pinch for higher-ohm coil.

In all honesty, any normal pair of tweezers will work perfectly well for torching your coils. No need to go hunting for exotic tweezers. But then again hunting for exotic tweezers seems right up your alley so...

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I've actually seen like a big version of tweezers, specifically more tool-like, but still have the precision of tweezers as opposed to something more like a needle-nose, something you can pinch with your fingers as opposed to gripping. That's what I'm after. I have a feeling that regular old tweezers don't have a wide enough pinch for higher-ohm coil.

Forceps, maybe??? I'd just pick up some cheap, small needle nose pliers, and some tweezers. My tweezers came from the dollar store and I paid (guess what) lol.

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
FL 510 (Over The Top Baby)
That won't be necessary, he has said he knows everything there is to know about vaping, and once he does his first coil build he plans to author the master of all rebuilding threads and school everyone here. :) Can't wait.

Being so freshly out of the Christmas season and 24 hours of A Christmas Story I can't help but imagine GN sitting there at his pawn shop computer typing out his grand masterpiece and imagining how the entire vape world will hail him "King of all things Vape" much like the Ralph on A Christmas Story with his BB Gun Essay.

In all honesty, any normal pair of tweezers will work perfectly well for torching your coils. No need to go hunting for exotic tweezers. But then again hunting for exotic tweezers seems right up your alley so...

Oh Please, GN torching a coil, are you serious?? This new Micro-Coil Grand Master can't even boil water, doesn't own a phillips screwdriver and can't get over the fear of owning a drill bit. I highly doubt a torch will ever cross the moat into his lair let alone touch a coil of his, I mean after all the residual burned butane left on the coil would destroy the "dried skin" taste he professes to enjoy.

Ahoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Philly
Here ya go buddy... ask for a pincher thing, you shall receive a pincher thing.

View attachment 291511

LMFAO!

on topic- tweezers...you are searching for tweezers. Unless you are talking about needle nose pliers? Which can also be used. Lots of 'pointy things' can be used for RBA builds.

TXSundevil

Oct 9, 2013
Dallas, TX, USA
You know, I have not even been vaping 4 months yet, Started with the ego kit and some ce4's, not a fan, but no fish taste, on to a twist, then mvp 2.0 a sigelei, a couple of drippers, EVOD's, T3s's, Protanks, Davide, Aspire and my beloved Kayfun. I have enjoyed all you folks on the forums, I too have felt bad, and watched the help offered to GN. The reason I was sounding off, I just wonder how I ever made it that far in 4 months without even a fraction of the problems poor GN has had? It's like he's the bermuda triangle of the law of averages or something. LOL love ya all, can't wait to read the reports on the RDA's GN!

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
Ya'll know what, if I do accomplish a decent, standard vape on an RDA without having to boil anything, torch anything, or use any tools that I have to spend $20 on bus tickets just to get, then I do believe I'll be quite the revolutionary on the forum.

And I don't see why it'll be a problem. Many seem to recommend a 16g needle or whatever as opposed to a drill bit, Kidney Puncher has pre-boiled cotton, you can fire a coil and have it oxidize just like torching it (according to RIPTrippers), silica may end up posing an issue, but I will indeed end up torching it and stuff if I absolutely can't get the taste out - though I'd have problems believing that Cisco torches the silica they use (but who knows, they may) and their silica tasted fine to me.

I do think that if I could narrow down the required tools and elements down to one or two websites (for every tool and material required), and using methods that older vapers and less experienced vapers alike would feel comfortable with in their own homes (for example, how many widowed old ladies own a torch or would begin to use one? how many own a 3/32 drill bit? What if someone's in a wheelchair and they don't feel like leaving their home?), then I think I'd actually make a pretty revolutional step-by-step, link-by-link method.

I mean, sure, there are some Youtube videos out there that do a pretty good job of it, but most of them do have some step that I personally would not care for trying, or many of them don't dive into the specifics about exactly what to look for when placing coils near the air-hole, or what type of air-hole diameters generally correlate to what type of flavor or throat hit, and generally what are some good features to look for in an RDA that helps the new user get the best experience. I'll be posting all of that, if I get it to work. If I get a set-up that doesn't taste like a wick, then trust me, I'll be over the moon about it, and my reputation here will obviously see to it that everyone and their mother will want to try whatever coil and wick set-up I have because I'm the person who thinks all vaping devices are utter crap.

Now, granted, I'm sure every grandma probably won't be rebuilding coils anyway, but you know, in general, what's stopped me from trying out RDA's is A. It's annoying. and B. When it comes down to it, even though rebuilding is nothing that my mind can't comprehend, the facts are that the possibilities are endless with RDA'ing, and that's why you can't ask one question about RDA'ing on this forum without 14 answers that all contradict each other. Even for an educated person who has watched plenty of videos and knows the general factors, when you read something that completely contradicts something else, then it gets confusing, and you don't really know what to expect until you try it yourself.

So that's why I want to be someone who really at least narrows things down for new coil builders. Someone else can go ahead and do it if they like, I'd sure appreciate it. But so far, the information on this forum about it, and on Youtube, has, to me, at best only been about %75 of the questions, theories, and techniques I think about and ask myself when it comes to RDA'ing; the rest of it is a bit too confusing or actually completely contradictory. The trickiest part will be trying to test out different air-hole diameters, but I do have a local shop that will help me out with that (and for those that don't, I'll be including how Kidney Puncher does custom air-hole drilling!)

Overall, again, I mean truly, I would have liked to have seen a thread, preferrably stickied, which could explain each essential part of building a coil and setting up a stock RDA using easy methods. If it is indeed a possibility. I will see, and I can't promise anything. But if I'm going to keep to vaping, I'm going to have to do it for myself, I'm going to have to find easier methods, I'm going to have to see what I can accomplish. I will indeed go farther than that for experimenation's sake, but I want to find a build that I can tell people "Order this from this.com, wrap this, insert this, and vape." At the very most, I want people to only have to clean their tank with some rubbing alcohol. No torching, no boiling, no drills, no drill bits, nothing complex, just an easy, standard build.

Sure, my methods may end up requiring products from vendors who are willing to boil cotton and charge extra, vendors that are willing to drill out air-holes before shipping, vendors that do stock very precise gear, but I'd rather post those links than have vapers feeling as overwhelmed as I have before. I mean, pretty much, even to this moment, I say "F" it and I ordered so much junk that there's no way I'll fail. I probably won't even use half of it. But that's what it takes. For those that can't spend around $100 like I just did, then I want to see if I can narrow that budget down to around $50, telling people exactly which gauges, wicks, RDA's, wrapping tools, and mess worked for me. No guesswork.

Last edited:

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Let me know how that cotton oxidation turns out for you :)

Without reading all that in detail: You are over thinking it. Youtube is choke full of "Basic RDA guides".

Coil building 101: Take wick. Coil Kanthal or Nichrome around it 4-5 times. Measure resistance. Want more resistance? Make more wraps / use thinner wire. Want less resistance? Use less wraps / thicker wire.

Or, if you want to try your hands at cotton: Wrap Kanthal / Nichrome around something the width of your desired coil. Check for resistance. Stick some cotton through it. Vape.

The devil is in the details. You probably cant deduce your way to how the perfect setup for you should be made. Like you cannot deduce your way to riding a bicycle for the first time. Stop thinking. Start trying. Then let's have a discussion based on how it turned out.

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
I made it as far as
Ya'll know what, if I do accomplish
I think I did pretty good.....didn't I??

Oh, oh, oh and wait, I re-coiled my RSST in the time it took to read that, without the use of "those pincher" things, a burny torchy thing, a screwy drilly thing and I didn't boil anything!!

The flavor is spot on, amazing pure spiced cider.

Last edited:

Mr.Bungle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
East Jabip, NJ
I applaud your willingness to produce an all-in-one guide for the RBA newbs. But, in my experience, reading through the treads as I (and many others have), you glean more knowledge from side topics and conversations than what you originally opened a thread thinking you would learn. I think vaping is one of those things thats more about the trip than the destination. Getting there informs the journey. I'm not trying to put you off your project, but there's a LOT of cross-pollination of ideas that will be missed. Did you read the Reader's Digest version? Or Homer's Oddessey? Which was "better"?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Ya'll know what, if I do accomplish a decent, standard vape on an RDA without having to boil anything, torch anything, or use any tools that I have to spend $20 on bus tickets just to get, then I do believe I'll be quite the revolutionary on the forum.

And I don't see why it'll be a problem. Many seem to recommend a 16g needle or whatever as opposed to a drill bit, Kidney Puncher has pre-boiled cotton, you can fire a coil and have it oxidize just like torching it (according to RIPTrippers), silica may end up posing an issue, but I will indeed end up torching it and stuff if I absolutely can't get the taste out - though I'd have problems believing that Cisco torches the silica they use (but who knows, they may) and their silica tasted fine to me.

I do think that if I could narrow down the required tools and elements down to one or two websites (for every tool and material required), and using methods that older vapers and less experienced vapers alike would feel comfortable with in their own homes (for example, how many widowed old ladies own a torch or would begin to use one? how many own a 3/32 drill bit? What if someone's in a wheelchair and they don't feel like leaving their home?), then I think I'd actually make a pretty revolutional step-by-step, link-by-link method.

I mean, sure, there are some Youtube videos out there that do a pretty good job of it, but most of them do have some step that I personally would not care for trying, or many of them don't dive into the specifics about exactly what to look for when placing coils near the air-hole, or what type of air-hole diameters generally correlate to what type of flavor or throat hit, and generally what are some good features to look for in an RDA that helps the new user get the best experience. I'll be posting all of that, if I get it to work. If I get a set-up that doesn't taste like a wick, then trust me, I'll be over the moon about it, and my reputation here will obviously see to it that everyone and their mother will want to try whatever coil and wick set-up I have because I'm the person who thinks all vaping devices are utter crap.

Now, granted, I'm sure every grandma probably won't be rebuilding coils anyway, but you know, in general, what's stopped me from trying out RDA's is A. It's annoying. and B. When it comes down to it, even though rebuilding is nothing that my mind can't comprehend, the facts are that the possibilities are endless with RDA'ing, and that's why you can't ask one question about RDA'ing on this forum without 14 answers that all contradict each other. Even for an educated person who has watched plenty of videos and knows the general factors, when you read something that completely contradicts something else, then it gets confusing, and you don't really know what to expect until you try it yourself.

So that's why I want to be someone who really at least narrows things down for new coil builders. Someone else can go ahead and do it if they like, I'd sure appreciate it. But so far, the information on this forum about it, and on Youtube, has, to me, at best only been about %75 of the questions, theories, and techniques I think about and ask myself when it comes to RDA'ing; the rest of it is a bit too confusing or actually completely contradictory. The trickiest part will be trying to test out different air-hole diameters, but I do have a local shop that will help me out with that (and for those that don't, I'll be including how Kidney Puncher does custom air-hole drilling!)

Overall, again, I mean truly, I would have liked to have seen a thread, preferrably stickied, which could explain each essential part of building a coil and setting up a stock RDA using easy methods. If it is indeed a possibility. I will see, and I can't promise anything. But if I'm going to keep to vaping, I'm going to have to do it for myself, I'm going to have to find easier methods, I'm going to have to see what I can accomplish. I will indeed go farther than that for experimenation's sake, but I want to find a build that I can tell people "Order this from this.com, wrap this, insert this, and vape." At the very most, I want people to only have to clean their tank with some rubbing alcohol. No torching, no boiling, no drills, no drill bits, nothing complex, just an easy, standard build.

Sure, my methods may end up requiring products from vendors who are willing to boil cotton and charge extra, vendors that are willing to drill out air-holes before shipping, vendors that do stock very precise gear, but I'd rather post those links than have vapers feeling as overwhelmed as I have before. I mean, pretty much, even to this moment, I say "F" it and I ordered so much junk that there's no way I'll fail. I probably won't even use half of it. But that's what it takes. For those that can't spend around $100 like I just did, then I want to see if I can narrow that budget down to around $50, telling people exactly which gauges, wicks, RDA's, wrapping tools, and mess worked for me. No guesswork.

As annoying as you say it is .......... do you realize it will actually take less time to rebuild a dripper then to write ths post ? i set up everything from drippers to genesis atomizers in 10 minutes average. why everything you want to do has to be broken down into 12 different 40 minute steps is beyond me.

Last edited:

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013

First off you have absolutely no business trying to do your own coils. Simply because throughout everything you have not once mentioned anything about checking ohms of coils and you do not have a device that is capable of checking ohms. Go ahead and build your coils but if your not going to follow the most basic of advice and check to make sure it's safe before hitting the fire button then don't be spewing all over here about how your going to revolutionize vaping. You have received advice from people who have forgot more about vaping that you'll ever know yet you summarily dismiss them and go on with your spewing of misinformation.

But just to help you out with your $50.00 budget here's a one stop shopping solution that will make coils for a couple years.

Igo-L, free drilling and free shipping $16.99
iGo L UD Rebuildable Dripping Stainless Steel Atomizer USA Drill Service iGo L | eBay

130 STERILE Cotton Balls, free shipping $4.25 (I know they're not boiled but if they're safe to put on open wounds then they're safe to vape)
Swift Sterile Cotton Balls 130 Box 11 3561 | eBay

100' of 30ga A-1 Kanthal, free shipping $5.65 (From the manufacturer to boot)
Kanthal A1 Wire 30 Gauge 100 ft 0 39oz Resistance Resistor AWG A 1 | eBay

That Mr. GoodNews! is a total of $26.89 all from one shopping cart, all shipped and everything needed to make decent coils. However without even the lowest end of a VV/VW device with the ability to check the resistance then none of it should be used period!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread