Which APV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Oh wow, I've been away from the forum so long, I feel like I've been left in the dust. Everything has changed so much. Not just the forum, but all the new hardware I see is totally foreign to me.

Since I started vaping back in July of 2010, I have been using Ego style batteries. I went from atomizers, to cartomizers, to carto tanks. I'm currently using KGO 1100 mah batts with Smoktech 1.5 ohm dual coil tank cartomizers.

I think it's time for me to upgrade to an APV, or mod, as we used to call them. I'm looking at a couple that seem to be what I'm looking for, but I have some questions that I can't find the answer for. First, the APV's I'm looking at:

Innokin MVP 4 100w TC, and the JoyeTech eVic VTC mini 60w

I can't decide between the two. Or is there a better option in the same price range?

And here is the big question: Can I use the same 1.5 ohm cartos and tanks I've been using on my KGO batteries, or do I need a different type of atomizer/carto/tank. I've got a ton of cartos that I stocked up on due to the deeming regulations headed this way.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,
1 vote for the Evic mini. I have had one for over a year. Solid, dependable and small.
Only caveat, have some crazy glue on hand to reattach the door magnets.

If your devices/tanks are 510 threaded, they will be fine on any modern device, if they are "EGO" threaded, you will need an Ego adapter.
My wife has an eleaf pico and loves it. I have also heard good things about the SMOK AL85.

Cheers
I

Last edited:

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Thanks guys. I went with the eLeaf Pico. Couldn't find any kits for $21 tho. Found one at VapeNW for $40 shipped. Comes with a Melo III tank.

I also ordered an eVic mini. As much as I vape, I'll probably need two APVs anyway. :)

Now I have a lot of learning to do about tanks, coils, ohms, watts, etc. With the Kgo, it's been pretty simple just to order the cartos. I don't really know where to start with the APVs.

Reactions: Katya

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Yes, there is a lot that you can opt to learn at this point Bozz. But I'd start simplistically were I you.

If it's ok by you, I would recommend a REALLY sweet little tank. It's the Joyetech Ego One Mega V2, and I detest that name, so have renamed it the Egg Roll.

It takes a coil called the CLR, which can be recoiled and rewicked VERY easily (the only reason I even considered it, as I'm not one who ever really wanted to do rebuildables), or you can just replace the coils. It's also on the inexpensive side, which is nice. The vape is delish, and in fact, is right up there in my top 3 flavor vapes.

Pics, link, and thread, for your perusal.

20160926_161053.jpg
red egg roll.jpg

Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tank

eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Now I have a lot of learning to do about tanks, coils, ohms, watts, etc. With the Kgo, it's been pretty simple just to order the cartos. I don't really know where to start with the APVs.

Welcome back, Bozz! Long time! :D

My advice? Take it slow. If you like your carto tanks, there no need to toss them. You can use them on your new mods. Just find the wattage you like and you're set. With carto tanks, start conservatively, ~6 watts, and see how you like it. You can always up your wattage.

If you want to try something new, I agree with Kat--eGo one mega, V1 or V2, CLR coils 1Ω, is a great start. CLR coils come in two resistances (1Ω and .5Ω) and can be used out of the box and later rebuilt with any wire you want (if desired--they are ridiculously easy to rebuild).

Another nice and very inexpensive topper is Eleaf GS Air Tank. Get the old 1.5Ω dual coils--nice at 10 watts or so.

If you're feeling adventurous, the most versatile tank on the market is Subtank mini V2. It's not exactly a beginners atty, but it gives you lots of options and plenty of room to grow. It comes with all kinds of coils, including kanthal, nichrome, Ti, and ss coils (for TC vaping); and a simple RBA (rebuildable) coil. It's also the most expensive of the three.

Good luck!

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Yes, there is a lot that you can opt to learn at this point Bozz. But I'd start simplistically were I you.

If it's ok by you, I would recommend a REALLY sweet little tank. It's the Joyetech Ego One Mega V2, and I detest that name, so have renamed it the Egg Roll.

It takes a coil called the CLR, which can be recoiled and rewicked VERY easily (the only reason I even considered it, as I'm not one who ever really wanted to do rebuildables), or you can just replace the coils. It's also on the inexpensive side, which is nice. The vape is delish, and in fact, is right up there in my top 3 flavor vapes.

Pics, link, and thread, for your perusal.
Thank you Katdarling, that is exactly the kind of info I need. I've already got a pack of 1.0 ohm CLR coils and the Egg roll in my cart at the Vape Shop. Just doing a little more research before I hit the buy button. I'm intrigued by rebuildable coils.

Reactions: Katdarling

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Welcome back, Bozz! Long time! :D

My advice? Take it slow. If you like your carto tanks, there no need to toss them. You can use them on your new mods. Just find the wattage you like and you're set. With carto tanks, start conservatively, ~6 watts, and see how you like it. You can always up your wattage.
Thanks Katya, it's good to be back. I do have a huge supply of cartos and tanks to use up. The vaping technology changes almost as fast as computer technology. I didn't realize how far behind I am. I'm still using these. It takes 4 to get me through a day.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Congrats! Hope you like the Egg Roll like so many of us do!

Kanthal 28 gauge is sort of "the norm", so yes, that's a good start.

There are many varieties of cotton, and I'll leave that for the others to chime on, as I like rayon myself. I use this type:

CelluCotton Beauty Coil 3lbs.

If you don't have a Sally's nearby, you can find it online as well. Make sure the box says 100% rayon.

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Thanks for all your help Kd. I may be getting ahead of myself here, LOL. I don't even have the APV in hand yet and I'm looking at rebuilding coils.

Been checking You tube videos, and coil rebuild seems not to be too complicated. Found the 28 gauge wire on Amazon, and the cotton material at....well, I think it was the Vape shop.

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Ego 1 V2 Mega Tank and CLR coils on the way.

Okay, now I'm looking at some Kanthal wire to rebuild coils. Is 28 gauge good? And what kind of cotton to get. I have a bag of cotton balls, will that work.

I use 29 and 28g Kanthal. I buy mine directly from Temco--quality wire and free shipping. Amazon carries Temco, too.

TEMCo Kanthal A1 Resistance Wire TEMCo Industrial

I use cotton for my wicks. You can use cotton balls as long as they are organic--avoid regular cotton balls as they are bleached with chlorine. I prefer cotton pads--Koh Gen Doh and Labo (Puff) are both available on Amazon, but if you just want to try a small amount, get some Muji (or other organic cotton pads from Fasttech--free shipping). You'll want to have some good cotton or rayon on hand for rewicking your CLR coils--it's really easy and will extend the life of your CLR coils substantially even if you don't rebuild.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...hentic-muji-rectangle-cotton-wick-for-rda-rta

If you want to rebuild, you should invest in a simple coil making gizmo. I like this one Tobeco Kuro coiler. Get one of each--2, 2.5, and 3 mm diameter--and you'll be set for life. There are many other coilmakers on the market--this is the one I use.

http://desertvapes.com/tobeco-kuro-coil-jig/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread