which coil resistance would be best for 100% VG ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Eyes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Mt. Brook, AL, USA
I use a sigelei V3 telescoping fitted with a Kanger ProTank

the Protank coils come in the following resistances:

1.5 ohm
1.8 ohm
2.2 ohm
2.5 ohm

I vape only 100% VG juices, and have been setting the Sigelei for around 8 watts

need replacement coils, so which of those 4 coil resistances should I buy, and why?

kind of hoping there is an electrical engineer in the house who can explain the pros and cons of higher voltage vs. higher current - since it appears that is my choice!

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Well I'm no electrical engineer but I vape 100% VG and it doesn't matter what the coil resistance is if you have a VV or VV/VW mod as you can adjust the power to find the sweet spot.

The advantage battery-wise of lower-ohms coils is that it takes less power to heat them up to the same degree as a higher ohms coil, all else being equal. So your sweet spot with a lower ohms coil will take less power to achieve, than the same sweet spot reached on a higher ohms coil. (For example you might find 5w is satisfying with a 1.5 ohm coil, and 7w is satisfying with a 2.5 ohm coil.... those are just example powers, YMMV.)

My personal advice, however, would be that if you are really, really happy with what you have been using, just buy more of the same. If you want to try lower ohms, go ahead.

When your heads are no longer usable, throw them in a jar. Later if you decide to rebuild them you can rebuild them to any ohms you want, regardless of how they came. The resistance is only dependent on the wire gauge and number of wraps.... more wraps = more resistance which = higher ohms which requires more power.

HTH

PS Although this is a poor analogy you can think of a pipe that is perfectly clear and one that has some corrosion built up inside... it will take less water pressure (less power) to push so-many-gallons-per-hour through the clear pipe, than it will to push the same flow rate through the partially blocked one. The higher ohms coil has more resistance than the lower ohms coil, so it takes more power to heat the higher ohms coil and vaporize the juice. [However, a 1.5 ohms coil is not "perfectly clear" it still has resistance, just less than the 2.5 ohms coil, but for purposes of the analogy... ok, I said it was a poor analogy.] :D

Last edited:

Angel Eyes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Mt. Brook, AL, USA
well being an electrical engineer myself, I understand resistance, wattage, current and voltage - I just don't know which combination makes for the tastiest vapes, using 100% VG, and I don't have the time to do a lot of controlled experimentation.

was hoping some folks here have already plowed those fields and figured out which coil resistances are best for which scenarios

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
As you know, juice has a sweet spot... turn down the power and you lose flavor and vapor, turn it up and you burn it. Right before it gets to the burny point, that's where you want to be. Point is, you can reach that sweet spot using any coil at all, of any resistance, from sub-ohm to 3.0 ohms and greater. It will only take different amounts of power to achieve it. Finding it takes a few seconds, literally, of clicking up and down the power grid. Once you find that sweet spot, if your mod is a VW device, it will lock in that setting, then even if you put on an atty with different resistance, the mod adjusts the power to match the equivalent of your last setting.

Some people think lower ohm coils (i.e. sub-ohm) give the best flavor... but since sub-ohm is dangerous people are building micro-coils which some claim to have better flavor. Everyone has an opinion, but there are no "absolute" answers. It's all subjective. On top of that not all VG juice is created equal... the amount of flavoring and kind of flavoring -- even the nic concentration can change where the sweet spot is. Plus some people like a warm vape, some like a cool vape, so one person's sweet spot is not another's. So sorry but there is no definitive answer. There IS a vape chart that shows the best range of wattages/volts for various ohms and that's about as close as you'll probably get to the answer you want.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/8bqzdad5z/] [/URL]

Attachments

• Vape Chart.jpg
    Vape Chart.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,790
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread