Which Eliquid Flavours contain highest levels of diacetyl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie G

Aug 27, 2015
Hey Guys! I am constantly told by some eliquid companies that there is a reason why we don't do X, Y, Z flavours- diacetyl. I would be grateful if you could give me some idea which flavours to avoid and which are considered relatively safe. Apparently, diacetyl is used for embalming bodies. On a funny note, hopefully that will mummify me and I will live longer ;)

Reactions: David Wolf

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US
Personally, i make all my own juice. The vendor I buy from has posted tests of what flavorings contain a few of the nasty things. I just basically avoid those. Normally, it is custardy or buttery flavors.

That being said, I still use the cinnamon roll flavor from flavor west, even though it contains a small amount of acetoin(0.371% in the flavoring, which means about 0.06% when mixed). I understand that there may be some risks for it, but those are risks I am willing to take. Since I don't vape it regularly, I don't see it as a big enough issue to worry about. I use the cinnamon roll flavor when I just want something of a treat.

The other big reason I think people vape those flavors with it is simply because they taste good, and a lot of the people don't know about it.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
That's very interesting. Why on earth do vapers go for desert flavours when they are potentially unsafer. The manufacturers must surely put some labelling on with that warning :)

They taste good and people don't care. The I smoked for 20 years argument...

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US
diacetyl is supposed to be very harmful. The vendor I get my juice from (I cannot post a link on this forum) swear down they don't use diacetyl. It's about time the FDA came down on eliquid merchants!!!!

Be careful what you wish for...you just might get it.

Based on the current FDA rules, that means each product would need to be subjected to about 500 hours of testing, and bring a cost of about a quarter million dollars. Per product means each and every mix. If you want to make Strawberry flavored 12mg juice, there is a quarter million bucks. If you want to make Strawberry flavored 6mg juice, that is another quarter million. If you want to make Strawberry flavored 3mg juice, another quarter million. Strawberry flavored 18mg juice...you guessed it, another quarter million. Right there, a company is up to a million dollar investment in just one flavor line with only 4 strengths. If they want to do another line of a different flavor in those same strengths, that would be another million bucks. Basically, if they want to only have 5 flavors, and they only want those 4 nicotine strengths, they are looking at a $5,000,000 startup. That is A LOT of money, and I think you will see most(if not all) of your favorite juices disappear. Yes, I know there is a HUGE profit margin on e-juice, but if you want to be a company making 10 different flavors in 6 different strengths(0mg, 3mg, 6mg, 12mg, 18mg, and 24mg), you are looking at $15,000,000 to even get off the ground. Even with the profit margin, that is going to be a HUGE hurdle to overcome. Even if you sell 100,000 bottles of juice a month at 20 bucks a bottle, you are still going to be looking at 7.5 months of being in the red before you even get your testing investment back. That doesn't even take into account the cost of the juice itself, or the logistics of getting it out to the customers. By the time you factor that in, the juice costs are going to skyrocket. If you are fine paying $2 or $3 per mL of juice, you may still have some companies out there doing it, but your selections are going to be very few and far between. On top of that, there will be many people that will not go into vaping, so the market is going to be even more limited. That limited market means even fewer companies are going to be able to come into play. Give that some thought before you hope FDA mandated testing gets forced on juices.

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US
There are no current FDA rules or procedures for testing of e-liquids. It's all speculation now, al lot of it driven by those set against any regulation. My guess is they would just have to test every flavor, not every flavor in every nic. strength. The good vendors are already doing that...

There are no set in stone regulation ideas, but here was one of the more recent proposals:
Regulations.gov

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Since you asked, I am going to to tell you that one of the liquid makers you mentioned in another post has been selling liquids with high(er) levels of diacetyl and has forcibly made forums remove all posts relating to these comments.

I can't even write their name, that's how bad things have got.

I always expected the internet to liberate freedom of speech. Sadly... money and power wins. To feel that money and power wins from a Vape liquid company is a sad day.

Reactions: TraceyS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread