Which Ethyl Maltol...crystals or 12% liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smonomo

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
USA, Northeast.
Scubabatdan came up with a premix for the TA and EM, I made one very similar. In 10ml of Everclear I used about a cap full of EM from my 15ml bottle, I found it impossible to use a dropper for the TA, it's as thick as tar, so I used a small screwdriver and mixed 2 dollops of the stuff into the Everclear and EM solution, I then put the bottle in a cup of hot water, it all dissolved in minutes.

This mixture is intended to be used as an additive in a tobacco recipe to enhance the flavor.

iliteo

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2009
Athens - Greece
I use Ethyl Maltol crystals from
Ethyl Maltol - crystalline powder - for diluted form, see below (can't paste URL's) with EcoPure Krystal and EcoMix about two months ago. Its difficult to dilute the crystals to the liquid but even with this, for me is better from EcoPure Rich or Mild and more cheap. The other Ethyl Maltol Liquid (12% alc) is alcohol based and mabe is good too or even better.

jlmanno

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I ordered crystals from Dawns DIYflavorshack. I powdered the crystals with a spoon in a little Ziploc bag added them to pg in a little bottle and ran hot water over the bottle and they dissolved pretty quick. I then added tobacco flavoring, nic juice and vg. Makes a much better menthol than any menthol ordered online which were more minty than menthol. good luck

whimzkool

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
DFW
FWIW...

Ethyl maltol, 2-ethyl-3-hydroxy-4-pyrone, 2-ethyl pyromeconic acid, or C7H8O3 is an analog of maltol, where the methyl group on maltol is substituted with an ethyl group. It is a stable white crystalline powder at room temperature and easily dissolves in many polar liquids. Ethyl maltol has a melting point of between 89 and 93 °C, and a boiling point of 161 °C.
This chemical has a sweet odor that can be described as caramalized sugar and cooked fruit. It is an important flavourant for the food, beverage, and fragrance industry. Ethyl maltol is non-toxic, highly pleasant to human sense of smell, and easily detected by the human, with as little as 10 parts per million perceivable in air. -Wikipedia

Extracts of the aerial parts of Passiflora incamata L. contain the beta-carbolines: harman, hamun, hannalin, harmol, and harmalol, along with an aroma compound, maltol (Soulimani 1997). Beta-carbolines, like those of Passiflora incamata L., induce voluntary ethanol intake in rats (Baum 1996). Some people may be interested in the fact that harman has been identified in beer, wine (Bosin 1988) and cigarette smoke (Totsuka 1999). Beta-carbolines have been found to prevent neuron damage to the brain mitochondria of dopamine-induced mice by acting as an antioxidant and scavenging hydroxyl radicals (Lee 2000). Harman acts as a vasorelaxant (something that reduces inflammation or edema), it functions by releasing GABA, serotonin and noradrenaline (Dolzhenko 1987). Harman and related compounds are mutagenic and become more mutagenic after nitrosarion occurs in the acidic conditions of the stomach (Lin 1986).
Maltol, an aromatic compound, has antioxidant properties shown when inhibiting the oxidation of hexanal by 84% (Lee 2000). Maltol was also shown to be responsible for the development of dialysis-related diseases in patients with renal dysfunction and may play a role in the development of certain neurodegenerative disorders (van Ginkel 1993). Maltol was shown to be a strong enhancer of aluminum accumulation in rat brain and blood (van Ginkel 1993). Source:

Medical attributes of Passiflora spp. - Passionflowers

I do add Passion flower extract to my nic occasionally (not the store variety, don't waste your money) as a relaxant. Anyway, I see that maltol is also an ingredient in analogs. I wonder if it might actually play some role in the "relaxing side" of analogs. For that matter, in some e-liquids as well. I just notice that some of the best tasting/aromatic liquids are also the most relaxing. I wonder if Tasty Vapor includes it, that stuff is more relaxing (and tastier) than many I've tried.
I am not liking the words neurodegenerative disorders and aluminum accumulation... if it were a word game, my answer would be Alzheimer's. I notice an MSDS for ethyl maltol online indicates it shouldn't be inhaled.
WMZ

smonomo

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
USA, Northeast.
I am not liking the words neurodegenerative disorders and aluminum accumulation... if it were a word game, my answer would be Alzheimer's. I notice an MSDS for ethyl maltol online indicates it shouldn't be inhaled.
WMZ
You scared me now,.. I just cut my mix down with several more ml's of PGA, but I might be chuckin' it out altogether :(

ExFumidus

Dec 31, 2009
London
Just thought I should add, for all of you perhaps worrying about vaping EM. ... Maltol and Ethyl Maltol are not actually the same thing at all. ... Maltol is a natural substance, found in Passionflower (as stated above), ... but mostly extracted from the bark of the Liatrix (i.e. Larch tree). ...
Ethyl Maltol (whilst sort of related to Maltol) is an entirely different chemical, which does not occur naturally in nature anywhere, and is actually completely "man made". (Created (I describe roughly here) by replacing the "methyl" in Maltol with an "ethyl" instead). Creating thereby an entirely different chemical compound.
Ethyl Maltol is thought of as safe for consumption, and has actually always been used to flavour tobacco (amongst many, many other things we all consume !). (In fact so has Maltol, for that matter. Which has a very similar taste and aroma to EM). ....
So basically, anyone that has smoked any cigarettes in the past has already been exposed to these very same aromachemicals for years. ... In tests conducted by the tobacco companies, they found Ethyl Maltol to be pretty much safe (especially in the very tiny amounts used !) ... (Or, at least, "found to in no way increase the toxicity of smoke").

Personally I think, considering the very many toxic chemicals (4000+ apparently) we were all taking into our lungs with those nasty analogs before. I now feel pretty much safe vaping just the ethyl maltol in my mixes, in comparison.

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
You scared me now,.. I just cut my mix down with several more ml's of PGA, but I might be chuckin' it out altogether :(

Any act that isn't a complete native act, including vaping, is going to have a negative risk element. BUT there are varying degrees of risk, and vaping is magnitudes of order less riskier than smoking tobacco products. I'll take the risk :)
I guess you will be throwing out the full fat spread that you put on your bread then? Nothing is without risk in this world ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread