Which is the best performer: HD2 vs 20R vs VTC4?

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    These three batteries have similar ratings (my ratings in parentheses):
    • LG HD2 = 25A/2000mAh (25A/2000mAh)
    • Samsung 20R = 22A/2000mAh (22A/2000mAh)
    • Sony VTC4 = 30A/2000mAh (23A/2100mAh)
    I decided to do a shootout to see if there was a clear winner between them. Pulsed discharges at 30A and 50A were done (5 secs on/30 secs off) down to 2.5V. All three were quite close in performance but there were some slight differences that can be noted:
    • VTC4 ran for slightly longer than the other two.
    • The HD2 and 20R are essentially equal in capacity.
    • VTC4 ran at a higher voltage, but not by much.
    • The HD2 and 20R started out at the same voltage but the 20R dropped in voltage faster as the discharge continued.
    • There was only a 4°C max difference between any of the batteries for both the 30A and 50A pulsed discharges.
    Bottom Line
    The results are close but the VTC4 performs slightly better. Next is the HD2. The 20R is a very good battery but runs just a bit below the performance of the other two. The results are close enough though that you might not see a difference between any of them when vaping.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

KenD, sonicbomb, lamensterms and 10 others like this.
  2. T0mmy1977

T0mmy1977 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    I was all happy because I just ordered 2 of my very first VTC4s thinking they are 30 amps each. Then I look at your post and see they're only 23 amps each? I knew of Efest doing this, but I didn't expect Sony to BS their product. I guess they're hardly better than my LG HG2s.

3. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    No bs on Sony's part, they never rated it at 30A. It's all just misreading of the datasheet that caused the confusion.

Baditude and beckdg like this.
  4. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It's not Sony lying about their batteries, it's vendors either misunderstanding or misrepresenting sony's specs. The vtc4 is a very good battery though. Not 30 amps by spec, but it can handle 30 amps without too much problem.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Baditude and Mooch like this.
  5. Saintskinny51792

Saintskinny51792 Senior Member

I don't usually suggest this... like, for anything, ever... but battery specs should be REGULATED BY A 3RD PARTY. My 18 year old self would've kicked my ... if I heard me say more regulations for anything lol but this has gotten rediculous, I would say 'Are they gonna wait for stuff to start exploding!?' But that ship has sailed. they should be required to show test results from an industry standard test that can back up there pulse and constant ratings

6. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Good news. Joe average vaper (in my limited experience) knows that Sonys are a good high amp battery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.