• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Which stereotypes fit you and which do not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
OK, I'll play, although it seems this section is a little slow.....

Stereotypical: Gay man with two froo-froo dogs (Yorkshire Terriers). Like to sew and can do a fabulous ball gown - many drag queens have worn my creations. Like to cook and bake. Hate watching sports. Hate it. Would rather have a root canal. Have more shoes than most women I know.

Non-stereotypical: Own more tools than most straight men I know and spend most weekends in the garage, tinkering. I can fix just about anything, electrical, electronic or mechanical. Restored one classic car (Mercedes 450SL convertible) and am restoring another (BMW 325i convertible) for my hubby. Not a clothes horse (except shoes and belts). Get along great with my dad, not so much with my mom. She's nice and all, but my dad and I have more in common and more to talk about. I like to do woodworking and build furniture. Most people are surprised to find out that I'm gay, which can be irritating in some circumstances.

I drive a BIG yella Goldwing with a "girls kick &$@)" bumper sticker! Wife of almost 14 years drives a Yamaha Venture, mines bigger! LOL

Congrats on the 14 years.

Wife rides a Ninja 500, it's her first bike and I'm the one that corrupted her ;).
So now I need to get a bike faster than hers somehow I need to convince her to let me get a Hayabusa. Any ideas?

Me speed never :2cool:and I even promised to never peg the speedo on the Hayabusa (186 mph) but she still says no. Something about I go to fast already on the Goldwing :confused:

I've never pegged the speedo so how could I have been going to fast. :p

Bluesun62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2011
Ramona, CA
I not your typical gay man. I have power tools and know how to use them:laugh:. You won't find one of those little "gay hammers" in my house. lol. I like camping, fishing, dirt bikes, ATV's...etc.

Most of my straight friends response's are "No Way! You're not gay!" LOL. Sometimes they act a little differently when they find out but I tell them "I haven't hit on you yet so don't worry". lol

I don't make a big deal about being gay. It's just one part of who I am as a person.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
Sometimes they act a little differently when they find out but I tell them "I haven't hit on you yet so don't worry".

I worked with a guy who was a little skittish around me until we got to know each other, and he confessed that he'd been afraid I was going to grab his ..... A few days later I was at his house for a BBQ, and he was walking ahead of me. I grabbed with both hands, squeezed, he jumped and squealed like a little girl, and I told him "OK, it happened, you survived, now get over it."

I'm not sure which one of us laughed more, him or me. He was so not my type, and he had nothing to worry about.

jbblack

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Sherwood, AR
Stereotypical: Sensitive, artistic, well-read, reserved, pacifist. Tendency to enunciate, much to the embarrassment of my friends and family. Sarcastic sense of humor. Only thing I know about sports is from films sold in the back of the shop to the Customer Who Knows What He Wants; other than recognizing the uniforms, I'm completely lost.

Non-stereotypical: DIYer, do most of my own auto/transmission work and fixing things around the house. Love camping (I don't even carry a tent, as the point's to be IN nature). Not particularly fashionable/trendy, avoid bars like the plague. Want to settle down and raise kids. Don't really care about mine or anyone else's butch/femme status (which gay guys around here seem to be OBSESSED with.) Dislike guns (most of the gay guys around here are obsessed with them, I think it's largely tied into the whole butcher-than-thou obsession). I go to the gym as if it were a church (which is to say once a year, just around Easter).

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
DIYer, do most of my own auto/transmission work and fixing things around the house.

If that includes automatic transmissions, you have my respect. I can rebuild a manual transmission, but I'm pretty sure that if I take the cover off an auto transmission it'll let the pixies out and it won't work anymore. The closest I've gotten to any auto trans work is replacing the vacuum modulator on an old GM.

As far as camping, if man had been meant to be in nature, they wouldn't have invented Hilton. My idea of roughing it is in a 45' RV with a microwave and satellite dish.

jbblack

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Sherwood, AR
If that includes automatic transmissions, you have my respect. I can rebuild a manual transmission, but I'm pretty sure that if I take the cover off an auto transmission it'll let the pixies out and it won't work anymore. The closest I've gotten to any auto trans work is replacing the vacuum modulator on an old GM.

Haven't had to do it in a while, but the transmission work comes from spending a lot of time over the years in the shop with my godfather, who was a mechanic. It was time well spent; it made men out of my sister and I.

TWolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Northern MS
twolf2u.blogspot.com
As far as camping, if man had been meant to be in nature, they wouldn't have invented Hilton. My idea of roughing it is in a 45' RV with a microwave and satellite dish.

I'll second that one! City gal here.... Though I'm about to move to the country so my gal's horse will have a place to roam.

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
:laugh: :laugh: especially the pixie dust part:)

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
A group of us went camping once and one of the boy/girls brought a hair drier. Then you should have seen the look on his face when he found out he had to dig a hole for the morning ritual. He ended up leaving the next morning...lol.. Poor guy was traumatized.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::p

Dharma

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near El Paso, TX
I'm left handed when it comes to writing/drawing but I can use both for everything. I have both counterclockwise and clockwise hair whorls, and I'm both a younger and an older sibling. It make sense that I'm bisexual then.

haha. Hilarious ideas of correlation. Hair whorls, really? I am left-handed for anything requiring refined mechanics and right-handed for brunt force applications lol, but I attribute being a lefty more to creativity than anything.

I couldn't even break things down into the two categories of stereotypical and not, because it's too gray. I'm genderneutral and pansexual. I'm very androgynous. With me, the uninformed seem to stereotype based on common assumptions a lot initially, but once they get to know me as an individual then they see me as someone entirely different and outside the binary. I never fit into the ideas of butch/femme and I don't personally care for them. When I'm shopping, I go into whatever departments I want and grab what I want lol. I think change will occur slowly in terms of the general public being aware that alternatives actually exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread