White Buildup on Mod Battery Contacts - Cause for Concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooMuchOrangeTang

May 12, 2016
United States
Bought it brand new, in box, from what I thought(?) is/was a reputable vendor. Six days ago.

This is now the second time in 10 days I've had to contact this vendor about something odd...

I guess I'm also more worried that something is wrong with my batteries. If the mod is crap, so be it. If my batteries explode, I'm in a lot more trouble.

J.d. Roberts

May 30, 2016
Austin, Texas
I can't see the white build up on the contacts in your photos, looks nice and clean to me. As far as 18650's go, I've never experienced white build up ever - in the positive or negative connections. I've seen slight minor black build up on a few batteries on my negative side on my Noisy Cricket where the fire button is, but it's somewhat normal on that or other mechanical mods - just not too much and doesn't happen often, that's not good. In the past, I just got a tissue and it wipes off completely clean. I constantly clean all my vape gear; batteries, mod, atomizers.

Not sure if you bought it and it had white stuff around the contacts already or if you used it and it happened then. If white stuff happened after you used the batteries, then yeah, it may be a cause for concern and you should buy new batteries. Before I leave a vape store with new batteries, I make sure they are new and that they take a charge. I'd hate to leave with bad batteries.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I normally only see that type of "Powdering" from alluminum/alluminium alloys, believe it was called pitting corrosion. Could be from the soldering points at the mod contacts, some errant soldering flux not burnt off or cleaned off, which can be corrosive being a bit acidic, especially when heated, thus its usage in soldering to etch into the metal for bonding. Personally myself only I'd take the mod apart to check, though this will void your warranty for return so not suggesting it for you to do yourself if you intend to return it. The batteries shouldn't be corroding like that, depending on the material, but I doubt the metal could be alluminum as it is very weak against corrosives, which battery electrolites most times can be, and AW's are generally pretty reputable re-wraps, so myself I believe it is in the mod wiring/soldering.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    With an XTar VP2 at work, and an XTar VP4 at home.

Nice chargers. The batteries look good. I hate to say it but I'd ask for another mod from the vendor. I'm a pain in the ___ though, but if you're like me, the mod has to last.

Reactions: J.d. Roberts
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread