who is using Büchner funnels and suction filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I'm set up to vacuum filter PG based extractions but don't use a Buchner funnel or flask. I use 1 pint canning jars and a shop made vacuum filter holder that cost around $12 to make.

The trick to buying filters for a Buchner funnel is first, make sure they are the correct -diameter- for the funnel and second, choose a filter paper that can handle a vacuum (not all can). You don't need to apply a high vacuum, 15" is more than enough to expedite the task, too high a vacuum can rupture the filter. Of course I should also mention that PG will gravity flow through >2 micron filter paper without any vacuum at all, it just takes a long time to do so.

Last edited:

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
I'm set up to vacuum filter PG based extractions but don't use a Buchner funnel or flask. I use 1 pint canning jars and a shop made vacuum filter holder that cost around $12 to make.

The trick to buying filters for a Buchner funnel is first, make sure they are the correct -diameter- for the funnel and second, choose a filter paper that can handle a vacuum (not all can). You don't need to apply a high vacuum, 15" is more than enough to expedite the task, too high a vacuum can rupture the filter. Of course I should also mention that PG will gravity flow through >2 micron filter paper without any vacuum at all, it just takes a long time to do so.
nice to see you here again str8
where do you get your filters from ? the 2 microns should be plenty for final filtering . or ?
another question ..my vacuum a converted fridge compressor draws more hg than I want or need .
what is the max the mason jars will take ?
and is there a vacuum regulator available ...like a pressure switch on a compressor ?
ps still like your tubing ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread