Why am I coughing so much now? I'm not new to this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cicatrize

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Michigan
Recently, I developed a pretty nasty cough, and I suspect vaping, since it usually happens right after I exhale, and at night when I'm in bed, it's a LOT worse. The problem seemed to start shortly after I got my Kanger SubTank Mini, which was about 4 months ago or so. I've been using 50/50 liquid for the past year or two and haven't changed the flavor in a couple years. I've also been using the same brand for about 4 years. The cough is brutal, and sometimes it hurts and makes me feel like I have to throw up. It's a lot like that tickle in your throat you get when you have a cold.

Things I've tried to remedy this:
- Gone all the way down to 20% PG, suspecting this may be a culprit.
- Tried many different coil lengths. I've built everything from 0.3 - 1.5 ohm.
- Tried using the OCC heads that are built for the subtank mini
- Changing airflow on the tank
- Building "looser" coils
- Building coils with different diameters

None of these have fixed the cough. The last step I guess I could try is a new tank or something, but I don't really want to do that.

Also worth noting, sometimes it's completely fine. No coughs.

Any ideas?

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
I'm experiencing some congestion. I think after the long dry winter, the humidity build up is creating it.

I've been having some of this as well, it's been raining here for like the last month in Texas. And then when it stops with the heat the humidity rarely is below like 70%. And didn't have this issue during the winter months, if you can call it winter here. :)

Reactions: yuseffuhler

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
Recently, I developed a pretty nasty cough, and I suspect vaping, since it usually happens right after I exhale, and at night when I'm in bed, it's a LOT worse. The problem seemed to start shortly after I got my Kanger SubTank Mini, which was about 4 months ago or so. I've been using 50/50 liquid for the past year or two and haven't changed the flavor in a couple years. I've also been using the same brand for about 4 years. The cough is brutal, and sometimes it hurts and makes me feel like I have to throw up. It's a lot like that tickle in your throat you get when you have a cold.

Any ideas?

When I smoked, I was pretty much chain smoking hand rolling tobacco. It was really the wheezing when I lay down to sleep that got to me.

Vaping still makes me cough occasionally - but nothing at all like smoking.

There may be some other cause that you should have looked at!

Cicatrize

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Michigan
What is your nic strength, with the sub tank .6 or .3 is normal.

I'm using 4mg (.4). I used to use 12mg but quickly went down to 6, 5, and now 4 after getting the sub tank.

you might be having seasonal allergies..is it spring time in Michigan?

Pretty sure it's not allergies.

It doesn't even sound vape related from your description. Good luck, hope you get it cleared up!

It only happens when I'm vaping, and almost exclusively after hitting it. If I stop vaping for a few hours, it doesn't happen.

Cicatrize

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Michigan
are you using nickel coils?
are you airing your house out once a week? (Michigan=cold=mold spores and dustmites)
has your vendor changed formulas? (different vg, different pg supplier?)
have you seen a doctor?
Using 24ga and 26ga kanthal.

I air the house out about once a week, yeah.

I don't know if they changed formulas. That'll be a good question to ask next time I'm in there.

I haven't seen a doctor yet, because I'm pretty certain it's something related to my vape. If I give the thing a break, I don't cough.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
I'm using 4mg (.4). I used to use 12mg but quickly went down to 6, 5, and now 4 after getting the sub tank.

Pretty sure it's not allergies.

It only happens when I'm vaping, and almost exclusively after hitting it. If I stop vaping for a few hours, it doesn't happen.

If you change to a lower niccotine, you may be vaping more to compensate without noticing.

Cicatrize

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Michigan
If you change to a lower niccotine, you may be vaping more to compensate without noticing.
I'm almost certain I'm vaping more. But still, even fresh in the morning on the way to work it makes me cough.

Burnt taste in vape.....Coils might be burning....Cotton lung?
Nope, definitely not. I change my coil and cotton 1-2 times a week.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
I know of several people that developed a cough (including me) after switching to the Kanger SubTank Mini. Lowering nic, etc. didn't help. I ended up getting rid of my Subtanks and went back to the Nautilus and after a few days the coughing stopped and has not returned.

LVThundercat

Apr 13, 2015
Las Vegas
I get this everyday and night. I used to smoke 2 packs a day and didn't have this problem, when I switched to vaping is when it developed. I noticed that having a sip of a drink (water, iced tea, - the sweeter, the better, etc.) between every few hits and/or lowering your wattage for a few hits before going back to normal use wattage helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread