Why are a lot of people obsessed with vaping at high W?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Each to their own.

If someone enjoys 170W and another enjoys 10W, good on them both. Great thing about vaping, we have a huge selection of toppers and mods to suit pretty much everyone.

For me personally, I like 70 - 100 on a 0.2 coil, tight air flow for flavour. My other half uses max of 40W with full air flow on a 0.3 coil. She's happy, I'm happy, win win :)

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I'll admit, I am weird! I am all over the place with gear, juice, and power. I like to vape many different juices throughout the day and week and I may be crazy, but I believe some juices just need a higher powered set-up while others lose their great flavor with that. So I have flavors I really like in gear set at 28-32 watts, a couple at 100+ watts, and quite a few in between. I pick what I "hunger for" at any given moment and really don't care what wattage it takes to provide me the vape I want. That's what I like, so it can't be "wrong!"

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I vape between 13w and 130w daily and my wife hasn't vaped higher than 12w in the year she has been vaping.

Who cares? Higher wattage isn't cooler IMO. Anyone telling another person how to vape and at what temperature is just idiotic to me.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
I'll admit, I am weird! I am all over the place with gear, juice, and power. I like to vape many different juices throughout the day and week and I may be crazy, but I believe some juices just need a higher powered set-up while others lose their great flavor with that. So I have flavors I really like in gear set at 28-32 watts, a couple at 100+ watts, and quite a few in between. I pick what I "hunger for" at any given moment and really don't care what wattage it takes to provide me the vape I want. That's what I like, so it can't be "wrong!"

I think the same. Actually only have two different tanks (multiples of one of them) and use each tank style for different vaping. I also DIY my juices for each tank, same recipe idea, but different nic, vg/pg and flavoring ratios based on the tank. I vape what works for me, don't really are what others do.

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
I vape how it suits me, and generally speaking see high wattage vaping the same way I see savory desserts, or any of the other numerous and strange tastes that have measures of popularity. I do me, they do them. (Although this doesn't stop me from sometimes looking at their tastes as rather oxymoronic at times.. or just weird...lol)

My only concern, and dislike of these high wattage vapers is that it's noticeably changing the vaping industry as a whole in effort to protect them from themselves; it's pushing vaping for smoking cessation very nearly right out of the market. Higher nicotine level e juice is harder every day to find.. finding quality low wattage devices are fewer and farther in between, the entire market is gearing itself, slowly but surely, toward this one group and the rest of us who simply want to stop smoking and stay off the smokes are beginning to be left in the dust.

Sometimes, I resent the higher wattage vapors for that, as they make the industry and vaping in general seem dangerous, when instead it's life saving.. because of them, more and more are afraid to try vaping for smoking cessation, because all they see are the (ignorant) high wattage disasters, and our good life saving stories get pushed aside and ignored..

So, while I see it as a choice, albeit sometimes one that is more immature, or oxymoronic or just simply weird, I do sometimes resent what it's doing to the market..

I do wish live and let live, meant that their choices didn't negatively affect my choices.. but they are plain and simple. And the why, I cannot begin to understand.
Well put opinionated, I agree completely

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Believe it or not, many vapers who you may consider "high wattage" are also vaping to stay off the smokes. I have seen this attitude many times in these forums, and I could never understand why some people think that to stop smoking, or to keep from smoking, you should be vaping either MTL, or at lower wattages. I would be considered a high wattage vaper by most, but I can tell you that after 36 years of cigarettes, high wattage vaping is what keeps me from smoking, and I am not the only one.

None of us have a problem with that. We do have a problem with high wattage vaping taking over the market though.

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
    Feb 6, 2017
    Indiana
    None of us have a problem with that. We do have a problem with high wattage vaping taking over the market though.

Even though I prefer my high powered mods, I still like my low power ones. Hell, I still use my Blu e-cig on occasion. Even though when I walk into a B&M and see all the cool toys, I get dismayed that that's all they have. There's no catering to low power, mtl, squonking, and especially beginners. This does need to be fixed.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Even though I prefer my high powered mods, I still like my low power ones. Hell, I still use my Blu e-cig on occasion. Even though when I walk into a B&M and see all the cool toys, I get dismayed that that's all they have. There's no catering to low power, mtl, squonking, and especially beginners. This does need to be fixed.

That requires education of staff and even managers who place inventory orders to branch out. Thing is, beginners walk in and buy whatever is recommended, and cloud bros walk in surrounded by cloud, demanding something with more hit because 350W isn't hitting that hard anymore. So if one group of products can be offered to both (ignoring what may be appropriate for an individual beginner vaper) why invest in excess inventory?

herb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2014
    Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
    Beats the hell out of me. Masochists I guess.

Probably because it was the way they first learned how to vape.

I'm happy at 7-8 watts. (the way I first learned how to vape)

Thats exactly why , depends on what is popular at the time , many started vaping when the Sub Ohm tank craze started. Even though it was nothing new to veterans .

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
    Feb 6, 2017
    Indiana
    That requires education of staff and even managers who place inventory orders to branch out. Thing is, beginners walk in and buy whatever is recommended, and cloud bros walk in surrounded by cloud, demanding something with more hit because 350W isn't hitting that hard anymore. So if one group of products can be offered to both (ignoring what may be appropriate for an individual beginner vaper) why invest in excess inventory?

That's true. I guess I can't realistically expect a B&M to be like Walmart. :p

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    That's true. I guess I can't realistically expect a B&M to be like Walmart. :p

That's where online beats out any but the largest B&M stores, as you really can't stock a wide enough selection without a lot of space (real estate isn't cheap) and staff trained across all categories (no need for that online as it's just a fulfillment business).

Please understand, I'm just pointing out the problems of getting stuff out there for all sorts of vapers, but sometimes reality bites.

Actually a B&M, just like an online outlet, wants to generate sales. So why would the want to sell me products that last for years, or that will only use 3-5ml of juice/day?!?

Thanks to deeming in the US, should it remain in its current form, retail stores will no longer be selling all that juice they make for pennies and sell for dollars, and the more you use the better. That might very well change their model when they discover folks are not overjoyed at paying $20 for a bottle of branded retail juice they'll blow through in a day.

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    I'm fine at 10-20 watts, depending on the atty, most of the time. :D
    This is me in a nutshell. 15-20 watts on almost everything.

I was given a multiple clapton coil with an atty I was given as a gift and that thing just wouldn't produce any vapor at all below 35 watts. Pushed it to 40 and it vaped nicely but not much different than what I usually vape at 15 and the battery on the mod died MUCH faster.

I will stick to my usual .5-.7 ohm coils at 15-20 watts. It works and I don't have to change batterys near as often. :)

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    I had a guy at a Vape Shop asking why I need a 200 Watt MOD when I vape with a Nautilus Mini and my answer was simply that is right now while out driving. Next time I decided to blow a giant cloud in the doorway so I could make a spectacular entrance with that same MOD. Just for effect............ For me High Wattage is basically only in TC Mode but I do fire the Baby Beast at 30W.

I just bought a SMOK Alien 220 and I vape at 15-20 watts. I will never push it into high wattage. I bought it for the massive battery life from a dual battery mod at my puny wattage.

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
    Feb 6, 2017
    Indiana
    I just bought a SMOK Alien 220 and I vape at 15-20 watts. I will never push it into high wattage. I bought it for the massive battery life from a dual battery mod at my puny wattage.

I don't know about other people who use high powered mods, but for me-I have 3 mods that are 200+ watts, yet I very rarely vape over 80 watts. The exception is my GX350, I will vape that with some consistency around 100-110 watts. But my 220 Alien stays between 80-85, and my 200w Kbox doesn't leave 70 watts. Although I will say this: my 2 TFV8s and my Baby TFV8 are excellent with coils (I generally use the T8s at .15 ohm), but my .5 ohm SSOCC in my Subvod at around 25-30 watts doesn't last as long. But I'm waiting on my Fasttech order to get here so I can start building my own coils.

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    I don't know about other people who use high powered mods, but for me-I have 3 mods that are 200+ watts, yet I very rarely vape over 80 watts. The exception is my GX350, I will vape that with some consistency around 100-110 watts. But my 220 Alien stays between 80-85, and my 200w Kbox doesn't leave 70 watts. Although I will say this: my 2 TFV8s and my Baby TFV8 are excellent with coils (I generally use the T8s at .15 ohm), but my .5 ohm SSOCC in my Subvod at around 25-30 watts doesn't last as long. But I'm waiting on my Fasttech order to get here so I can start building my own coils.

I bought mod only on the Alien 220 since I have a bunch of subtank minis and even a TFV4. I have been mostly building my own coils for the better part of 4 years.

I regret not getting the kit for the baby beast tank. That TFV4 is a hot mess of leaks when refilling.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread