Why are there so many Cocobolo and Utile's left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Most people go for color and or grain first. The Utile is a stunning wood that shines like there are flecks of gold in the grain. Hard to capture in a pic. Cocobolo is a wood that has been used for REO's since 2011. Many long time Reonauts have a Cocobolo in their collection. This Cocobolo that Robert is using seems to be two types of Cocobolo. The Mexican which is more red and the regular that is darker brown. While it might not stand out like some other grains and colors, the feel of the Cocobolo is different than other woods. It is heavier and sands to a glass finish. I can tell my Cocobolos when I pick them up in the dark!

I really don't think anyone would be anything be pleased they chose to purchase one of the REO's still available. In fact I think they will be amazed once they see it up close and personal!

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Couple of pics of my older Utile/Ebony mini.
Utile is very nice live & in person. Subtle, fine, grain that gives off a goldish reflection. Not as flashy as some grains & woods but very nice! Kind of like comparing Ginger & Maryann from Gilligans Island! Ginger flashy and glamorous, Maryann subtle beauty! :)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I'm waiting to see a utile in the wild first..

That would require a trip to Africa. Rob uses the heartwood, the best cut of that wood (sapwood is more yellow). As said it has subtle beauty or iridescence you can't see in pictures. It can be quite durable depending on the growth habitate, so a good choice for a Woody that'll see hard use (on the job site, in the outdoors, etc). If Rob had put other wood species doors on them, even in just select grade wood for contrast, they would probably all be gone.

Swamper

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Glendora n.j. USA
Although beautiful in its own way MY opinion of the utile wood is that it has a look of expensive (office/house) furniture. It just has a common (grain) look to it. The cocobolo is a beautiful dense dark harder wood with a stunning look not often seen everyday, probably MY favorite. Cocobolo is probably the heaviest of the Woodvil's made?

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
I'm personally keeping an eye out for the rest of the woods Rob will be putting up to see what those are first. I'd like to get something with more color if possible.
You mean Rob has more Woodvil's to put up???? :);) I want a [HASHTAG]#310[/HASHTAG]. (Wedge with birdseye maple).

Which of the wood types remaining is the toughest, and would withstand an accidental droppage? :eek:

Last edited:

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
You mean Rob has more Woodvil's to put up???? :);) I want a [HASHTAG]#310[/HASHTAG]. (Wedge with birdseye maple).

Which of the wood types remaining is the toughest, and would withstand an accidental droppage? :eek:

Prob all but there's a an old ship called the blank? constitution that basickly laughed at canon balls as they just bounced off its hull.

Nicknamed old ironsides!

How USS Constitution Became ‘Old Ironsides’ 200 Years Ago — History in the Headlines

To the amazement of Dacres and his crew, the 18-pound iron cannonballs launched by Guerriere bounced harmlessly off the American frigate’s 24-inch triple-layered hull, which was made of white oak and live oak sheathed in copper forged by Paul Revere. One British sailor supposedly yelled out, “Huzza! Her sides are made of iron!” Thus, Constitution was christened “Old Ironsides.”

Yeah I'd loved me an oak woodvile.

Last edited:

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I've been wondering a lot also why people didn't choose what's left. I got a jatoba, Birdseye, and I think it's stunning! But there are still a few of those available. My friend who didn't buy any loves the Purple Heart, still those left. I've been joking with her that we must have poor taste in mods :p

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
If I were to buy a utile, it would be number 175. I keep going back to the site to see if it's still available. I love that one, but don't have the money to spend on a new wood. I got bills, my wife needs dental work done, maybe once I get this new job (hoping everything works out). Leaving the military and becoming a civilian, my house needs repairs, trying to decide if I can even take a chance selling it, I think I'm still upside down on it, more than likely going to rent it out. As one can see, I've got to many expenses right now to spend on a new mod. Plus, I promised the wife that we'll get new resins once those are available, I agree with mwdenko, I like to wash my reos in the sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
man those cocobolo are so beautiful, if I could bring myself to get another that's what I would get hands down, I almost went for a coco as my first choice but I already have a few so figured I'd try something different with the caribbean rosewood, glad I did because it's every bit as hard as the coco and polishes up to a glass like finish just like the coco. I can't believe there's still some left.

it's NOT because they are less desirable, it may be like has been said, many reonuts may already have a coco, also there were sooo many mods this batch and then they are like 40% higher priced because of the much improved button and guts, if they were the old style at the old price I bet they'd all be gone already but personally I think they're worth the 40% more, these woodies are sweet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread