Why do I find so much hate for e-cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustFolly

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
I feel like the real reason (imo) has been hinted at but not said, yet: Cigarette tax rates are incredibly high. When combining federal and state taxes, we're talking about $1.25-$5.50 per pack. If you figure that the average pack costs about $4.50 before taxes, we're talking about a 27-122% tax here. Consider that e-cig parts are sold at a standard 7%, iirc, and the government is looking at a MASSIVE amount of lost revenue for every person that switches over. I hate to say it, but the government likes it when people buy cigarettes. They can safely slap massive taxes on it with nobody minding because, hey, it's bad for you. E-cigs have never been proven to be very harmful to the health, and the community tends to be very vocal and activist in outlook. Ever wonder why NY was one of the first states to move to ban e-cigs? They also have one of the highest cigarette tax rates in the country. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy, just that connecting the dots makes a pretty interesting picture.

Sgt.Taz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago,IL.
www.youtube.com
I agree with the classifying our devices as PV's but have to say the complaint about them looking like analogues is unrealistic. Really how many of us started using a PV that looked like a cigarette? I don't see the problem with "Look-A-Likes" for the people who are just starting out. I know my addiction was part mental as well and the fact that I used my first PV "look-a-like" to assist me with quitting worked very effectively. I even used an ashtray to hold it so I would keep the psychological feeling. Like anything else it faded with time but the first few weeks of being off the analogues I needed that secure feeling. How many people might have failed to quit completely without this psychological element? My only problem now is the addition to buying different juices and mods ;)

We just have to stick together and inform the uninformed-it's the only way we can beat Big Pharma, Politicians and the "Sheeple":2cool:

smoothcannibal

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
denver colorado
google phillip morris and the e-cigarette. there is a short article about them and ruyan talking a potential deal. couldn't find a date but a little informative.

big tobacco is sure behind this as well as the government and whoever loses out on cigarette sales. it really isn't fair to make analog smokers support these entities and try to keep it that way. if we want an alternative then dammit, we should get it.

i agree with whoever said the mall kiosks are a good start. lots of people regardless of smokers/non-smokers at least see what it is. should be peddaling a better model.a few local shops sell the 510.

i see commercials for american bluetip and smokeassist on the current tv channel. i know they are scam units. but there's more exposure. that's how i saw my first demo of the e cig. how i knew i wanted to switch and started doing research. almost settled on blu til i found this site. the smokeassist radio commercial is how i even heard about e cigs

my girlfriend had never heard of them til i told her. my dad (non smoker) had seen them. it's still hit or miss at this point about who knows about e cigs and who doesn't. they've been around for a while but now it's becoming mainstream. if companies would ditch the white/orange tip models that would help out.

it's more about the non smokers that haven't heard about these amazing little machines. a smoker will almost always wonder what you have if they haven't heard already.

it won't ever be anything other than an uphill battle for a while. we need to just be patient and go out of our ways to a point out what these are. i think using pv is better too. once i understood what they were i thought e cig was more like a slang term.

mine is going to be my christmas present (kr8) this year and i'm sure going to be spreading the word.

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
nobody has made nicotine addiction a "disease"
Actually, there is now a diagnosis of nicotine addiction.. one of my patients came out of the hospital just recently with that listed in their active diagnosis list. Pathetic

somehow i'm sure they don"t list "red bull addict" or "needs coffee to function" on peoples diagnosis...

Kevin Freeheart

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Live Free Or Die
Because people in Western societies stigmatize people who choose to ingest a chemical substance for pleasure.

Hell, I've seen that same stigma in members of this forum who choose to castigate and stereotype people just because those people aren't using the drug they favor.

It doesn't seem too difficult to realize why nicotine users are treated like crap. Because nicotine users themselves enforce the "drug users are dangers to society/scum" mantra of "drugs = bad".

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Did anyone read the comments under the Anderson Cooper Blog. How can we wonder why people freak out about vaping when most ...... take what is fed to them as Gospel and Verse. These same fools vote and have offspring (very scary). I have found you can not beat stupid with logic. We can try but when mainstream media pumps garbage into their heads they believe every word. Vape on and maybe when a big tobacco company comes out with a PV then they will all believe it is good for us. Screw em I am loving every minute of my freedom from cigs after being an outcast and 2nd class citizen for 28 years!

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
Because people in Western societies stigmatize people who choose to ingest a chemical substance for pleasure.

Hell, I've seen that same stigma in members of this forum who choose to castigate and stereotype people just because those people aren't using the drug they favor.

It doesn't seem too difficult to realize why nicotine users are treated like crap. Because nicotine users themselves enforce the "drug users are dangers to society/scum" mantra of "drugs = bad".

Kevin, are you trying to say that smokers can be hypocrites?? You know you don't own your body the government does. Just ask them they will set you straight.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Once upon a time people were told that cigarettes were good for you and smoking was okay. It was pleasurable and calmed the nerves. Surely some of you can remember seeing the old cigarette commercials and people lighting up on TV and in the movies. It seemed like all the big names in Hollywood could be seen with a lit cigarette in their hand or dangling from their lips. FF in time...all of the sudden cigarettes are associated with people dying, so the Surgeon General starts putting warnings on the boxes, cigarette commercials are banned and you rarely see movies where a character smokes. The big names in Hollywood are now getting paid to tell you not to smoke and you rarely see one smoking openly.

The public is constantly being told that smoking is going to kill you, so don't start, and if you have started, quit. That's fine and I seriously doubt that anyone would refute the validity of that. The problem is the general ignorance of some people. They automatically assume that if they see "smoke" coming out of your mouth that you must be smoking. It's why those same people will insist that even though you're using a PV, you haven't quit smoking. I don't think using the term e-cigarette is very helpful in that situation, either. People fear and even hate what they don't understand. Unless you can convince them otherwise, most people can't be bothered with the facts because their minds are already made up.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
What everybody said before me is true. I started with the BLU. . .a pathetic experience at best. But, from the first drag. . .it showed me the possibilities. I now have no idea why I thought having a PV that looked like a "real" cigarette was a good idea, but I thought that. Now I don't. I used to think that FDA regulating them was necessary to keep the youngins from getting them. Now, I'm not so sure about that even. Think I'd rather the youngins used a PV than using tobacco cigs. And many are going to use one or the other. . .I did! Wish I'd had the choice 50+ years ago. I can see the need to change e-cig to PV or even just vaporizer, and smoke to vapor. Those are the terms I use now, maybe it'll catch on. And I'm giving everyone in my families that smokes one for Christmas, along with an ECF card. Everybody do your bit. . .one bit at a time. Maybe you can change it. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread