Why do I get vape tongue so easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
It's really weird. I only recently became 100% vape only in the past few weeks. I've vaped and smoked on and off for a few years, just couldn't completely kick the habit until now. For some reason in the past few weeks I've got super vapor tongue. I switch up my juices a lot, I dont vape the same thing for more than a few drips, and I usually vape no flavor more than anything. But for some reason, it only takes a few hits of one flavor, for it to completely disappear I taste absolutely nothing. Not even the VG or Nic in my juice. My tongue gets super dry, almost feels like sandpaper. Ill switch flavors, and get a slight taste of it the first hit, then its gone. Everything I make is 70VG 30PG 6mg nic. Right now I mainly vape my Velocity clone, dual coil, dual 26g claptoned with 36g all 316L SS. right now its a .15ohm at 75watts. It is 8 wraps so their pretty big coils, I wonder is it possible its the SS? or maybe too much heat? This just doesnt make since, I used to vape store bought juice on a Freemax Starr sub ohm .2ohm and I could chain vape till the end of time and Id never lose one hint of flavor. I dont get it.. Also, I drink tones of water. All day long..

Reactions: Kenna

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
It's really weird. I only recently became 100% vape only in the past few weeks.

While it's hard to say for sure, this is the most likely culprit, and it's anecdotally pretty common. Your sense of taste and smell go through some weird gyrations when you stop smoking, and vaping can exacerbate that. One explanation I've seen proposed is that when you stop smoking your sense of smell comes back so much that the sudden overload of strong flavors in juice can cause your sense of taste and smell to just shut down for a bit. I've experienced this, and unfortunately it is the pleasant flavors that tend to shut down first, letting the less pleasant flavors they masked shine through.

I think DIY might make this worse, especially if you're tasting a lot of freshly mixed juices. A lot of flavors have some strong chemical-tasting solvents, etc. in them, and even with "Shake and Vape" recipes they can be overwhelming when not thoroughly mixed/steeped.

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
While it's hard to say for sure, this is the most likely culprit, and it's anecdotally pretty common. Your sense of taste and smell go through some weird gyrations when you stop smoking, and vaping can exacerbate that. One explanation I've seen proposed is that when you stop smoking your sense of smell comes back so much that the sudden overload of strong flavors in juice can cause your sense of taste and smell to just shut down for a bit. I've experienced this, and unfortunately it is the pleasant flavors that tend to shut down first, letting the less pleasant flavors they masked shine through.

I think DIY might make this worse, especially if you're tasting a lot of freshly mixed juices. A lot of flavors have some strong chemical-tasting solvents, etc. in them, and even with "Shake and Vape" recipes they can be overwhelming when not thoroughly mixed/steeped.

Well, that would explain it. I also think I might be either a super taster, or just sensitive to certain chemicals. I am always able to smell the slightest bit of a natural gas leak when no one ells seems to smell it. Even when I did smoke. Another example, CAP Vanilla custard just tastes like NyQuil to me, even at 1%. Although after about a 1 month steep its not too bad. TFA Banana Cream tastes good, but I can taste the alcohol in it even at 2 %. Maybe I should just give it time. Hopefully your right.

Thanks for the reply.

Tony80

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2015
Coffee is supposed to help reset taste buds...if you don't drink it, just breathe the aroma from a bag of grounds or beans.

But yeah. Flavor goes bonkers for a while after dropping the fire sticks. Found a flavor I liked a lot, about two weeks later it was disgusting, and a different flavor that I tried that almost made me gag was great.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
I also think I might be either a super taster, or just sensitive to certain chemicals.

That could be. But I'm going to suggest that the cause might actually be the opposite. I'm not at all a super-taster, but there are off-notes in juice and in flavorings that I sometimes find very unpleasant. Interestingly, I find them most so when my senses are most dulled. I think this is because the things we find pleasant in juice mask the things we find unpleasant (this is why, I think, you find so much sweetener, etc., in commercial juice- if all else fails sweetener does a good job of masking off-notes. It's also why commercial juices tend more toward CAP bakeries than INW Biscuit, because that stuff is pure alcohol and shoe leather when your sense of smell is dead.)

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Your tastebuds will continue to change periodically for a long time. I'd settle in with flavors & then after a few months suddenly I'd be vaping something I hadn't liked before, or something I'd loved would taste different & lose it's appeal. Higher vg may be muting your flavor suddenly as your taste changes. I went through something similar a couple of times. For awhile, I couldn't get enough water to satisfy thirst, it had to be really cold water to be at all satisfying. Another time I kept getting vapers tongue. It all eventually stopped, but I'd brush my teeth using a really strong minty toothpaste, drink pickle juice, od on Altoids, swap to an opposite flavor n anything to get domw flavor I could taste. I was vaping a higher nic, low watts & 50/50 juice at the time. I was able to stop chain vaping after I'd been vaping a few months & that helped, & then it stopped completely. After the first year it settled in & haven't had a problem for over a year & a half. Try changing up your style. I know when I'm out somewhere that I can't burn & wick but my cotton hits that no flavor stage I can lower my power just a little & there's the flabor again. Try higher resistance & lower power, or change up your ratios, try something the total opposite of the thing you can't taste, add some lemon to your water.
I'm remembering things that happened & what worked to fix it when I first started vaping. If you've recently stopped analogs completely your just going thru the normal changes. It will calm down h your flavors will be there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: go_player

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Well, that would explain it. I also think I might be either a super taster, or just sensitive to certain chemicals. I am always able to smell the slightest bit of a natural gas leak when no one ells seems to smell it. Even when I did smoke. Another example, CAP Vanilla custard just tastes like NyQuil to me, even at 1%. Although after about a 1 month steep its not too bad. TFA Banana Cream tastes good, but I can taste the alcohol in it even at 2 %. Maybe I should just give it time. Hopefully your right.

Thanks for the reply.
Any custards & creams are going to need weeks to steep to develop their sweet spot. I make an aged bourbon custard that takes a month long steep for the flavor to be there. Before that it's too weak on the bourbon cream & the custard isn't great. At that 1 month mark it's there & is my adv. There's just no amount of heat or anything to speed it up either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. It really had me worried for a min. I know about vapor tongue, or, "sinus fatigue", It just has never been this bad. I hope it doesn't take too long, I've really been trying hard to make some decent recipes, now thats gonna be hard if I cant taste them... I'll try some of your suggestions maybe its time to break the old kayfun v2 back out.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I have found that drinking lemon flavored water or eating some lemon sorbet cleanses the pallet and wakes up the taste buds along with eating a pickle or some fresh pineapple. Just a couple of suggestions from personal experience and you might want to slow down on switching the flavors as much as you do. I switch at least 6 times a day myself but after only a few pulls light be flavor overload. Another little trick or cure I found recently was a Jolly Rancher. That woke my taste buds up for sure! Good Luck!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
TFA Banana Cream tastes good, but I can taste the alcohol in it even at 2 %.

You may be tasting something else in it, because neither the regular TFA Banana Cream nor the DX version of it contain any alcohol. Maybe it's the acetoin in the regular version that you're tasting? The DX version doesn't have it.

Also, about your vapor's tongue...another ECF member and I were both experiencing it about a month ago. We compared info. on what eliquids both of us had been vaping, what foods we'd recently eaten, etc. right before vapor's tongue hit us. We discovered we'd both eaten foods with noticeable garlic in them. We each got it to go away and could taste things again, but I wanted to know for sure if it was the garlic. So the next week (after eating NO garlic at all for 6 days), I ordered a pizza with butter garlic crust for supper, and yep....it did it again! Had vapor's tongue that night and all the next day until about 5PM, despite brushing my teeth 3 times during that time.

So it may be related to something you're eating, too, possibly.

Last edited:

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
You may be tasting something else in it, because neither the regular TFA Banana Cream nor the DX version of it contain any alcohol. Maybe it's the acetoin in the regular version that you're tasting? The DX version doesn't have it.

Also, about your vapor's tongue...another ECF member and I were both experiencing it about a month ago. We compared info. on what eliquids both of us had been vaping, what foods we'd recently eaten, etc. right before vapor's tongue hit us. We discovered we'd both eaten foods with noticeable garlic in them. We each got it to go away and could taste things again, but I wanted to know for sure if it was the garlic. So the next week (after eating NO garlic at all for 6 days), I ordered a pizza with butter garlic crust for supper, and yep....it did it again! Had vapor's tongue that night and all the next day until about 5PM, despite brushing my teeth 3 times during that time.

Hm.. i could swear I've seen it listed on tfa's website. Interesting. Other than that, I have ate nothing with garlic. Accept for last night, I had a pizza with garlic on it.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA

That is good info to have! Thanks JV!

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hm.. i could swear I've seen it listed on tfa's website. Interesting.
upload_2017-5-16_16-24-24.png

(Edited by IDJoel for size and content. Original source: Perfumer's Apprentice)

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Hm.. i could swear I've seen it listed on tfa's website. Interesting. Other than that, I have ate nothing with garlic. Accept for last night, I had a pizza with garlic on it.

Well there are ingredients in it that share some structure with alcohols, like ethylvanillin. That might be what you are remembering. Also, I sometimes get some pretty noticeable alcohol-like notes in freshly mixed juices even when none of the flavors have actual alcohols in them. Steeping tends to take care of most of that.

And yeah, what you eat and drink can definitely have a strong effect. I sometimes drink very hoppy beer, and even one is enough to render most juice pretty tasteless for a while.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I Didn't know they were so detailed about it. I like that!
Me too! I have always been impressed with TFA's level of transparency; I wish more flavor manufacturers would follow their example. You can find a lot of info under their FAQ tab (near the bottom):
upload_2017-5-16_18-47-28.png

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Me too! I have always been impressed with TFA's level of transparency; I wish more flavor manufacturers would follow their example. You can find a lot of info under their FAQ tab (near the bottom):
Why thank you very much for pointing that out. I have lots of googling to do haha!

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
........ its a .15ohm at 75watts. ..........

As others mentioned, it hard to say for sure and it can be a combination of things, but my money is your low ohm setup. Try .6 to .9 and way less wattage, and tighten down the air flow to see what that does for you.

Some other suggestions I've seen in similar posts is to make sure you're staying hydrated. Drink a ton of water, then drink some more water. Also you might want to try adding some saline to your mixes. I've never tried that myself, but like I said I have seen it suggested. Good luck. :vapor:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I get vaper's tongue here and there. After a meal it sometimes fixes itself. I haven't decided if there's one food item that repairs taste buds better than others, but going without a meal will definitely extend vaper's tongue for a longer period.

Biotine mouthwash has a positive effect on vaper's tongue. It's more expensive than the average mouthwash, but it only takes a spoonful to restore moisture to the mouth, so a small bottle lasts a long time when it's only used for vaper's tongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread