Why Do People Knowingly Buy Clones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Because not all of us can spend hundreds on every product?

Because I feel many things are overpriced.

Because some things aren't available (Squape Reloaded sold out in minutes in July and wasn't available again until November, for example).

Because sometimes they've been improved over the authentic (Fuhattan, Orchid).

I wish they didn't copy writing and logos, and that has been the trend lately.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

MackCloud

Jan 14, 2015
USA
I was looking at clones to purchase as back up tanks to the setup I finally decided to stick with (and that I paid full price for in a store), solely because at $36 a tank I wasn't going to be able to afford more than one authentic tank, and I really wanted at least 2 more so I could feel safe throwing out my cigarettes. I researched them a lot and hated that they blatantly copied even the trademarked names, but I was still torn because of the huge price difference.

Luckily, I came to this forum and found a super amazing deal on the authentic tanks (around $18 with a coupon code!) so I was able to avoid the guilt and extra functional issues that come with the clones.

A friend of mine is currently looking at clones right now because that's what's in their budget.

I can only speak for myself, and for me it just had to do with money. There was a decent up-front cost for me to switch to vaping because I didn't know there were lower prices online, and the first tank I bought was so horrible I couldn't even use it, so that made me waste a lot of my money.

Now that I've quit smoking I can obviously use the money I'm saving to purchase authentic items, but when I was still smoking and buying everything for the first time at full price, I ended up spending way more than I wanted to on a habit I wasn't sure was going to work.

So I can see why people buy clones, but I still tell my friends they're better off saving up for the real thing (when they can afford it, and not everyone can!) :)

pancing

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
I buy clones for several reasons.
1. RETAIL MARK-UP , there is no real benefit to buying Authentic made mods other than supporting people that charge you however much they think its okay to charge for the mod ON TOP of operating costs. I'd rather pay china, directly, because think about it, ~20-30$ for a mod on fasttech, you see same mod for 50-70$ at a brick and mortar.

2. Hypocrisy, there are authentic manufacturers out there that also run B&M shops or online retail commerce, They ..... about people cloning their stuff but what do have in their product line? You betcha clones.

3. Unreliable customer service, both authentic and clone manufacturers can have ....ty customer service and bad QC so why should I take a multi-hundred dollar chance on a mod rather than spend 20$ replaceable mod?

4. China makes "Authentic" mods now that are VERY, VERY affordable and of extremely high quality, why should I buy from authentic makers that charge way more?

5. I thought the whole point of vaping was to make products that swap you over from smoking to a safer alternative? Not make ....LOADS of money like the big tobacco companies, no it all about money$$$$$$$$$$$, think about it, think about how much you pay for a 30ML bottle of EJuice, when you can make that .... yourself (Admittedly not as good as some but really is it worth $22 for a bottle of EJuice that costs less than .50c to make?). I get it R&D that goes with Ejuice testing whatever.

So no I don't buy EXPENSIVE authentics because why? 200$ for 1 mod or 200$ for 5-10.
I made my choice and I don't feel bad about it.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I'd buy cloned hardware if it came down to it budget wise. But as it stands I'm okay saving a little bit to buy from my favorite local store. I'm willing, at the moment anyways, to pay extra to not have to wait for shipping and I know my guy will stand by the product if there's anything wrong or it doesn't perform the way I thought it would. I'll pay extra to reduce my chances of getting ....ed over basically. That all said I have no issue with clones existing. Whatever works for you personally and money wise.

greenmonster714

Jan 10, 2015
Alabama
Because not all of us can spend hundreds on every product?

Because I feel many things are overpriced.

Because some things aren't available (Squape Reloaded sold out in minutes in July and wasn't available again until November, for example).

Because sometimes they've been improved over the authentic (Fuhattan, Orchid).

I wish they didn't copy writing and logos, and that has been the trend lately.

I have to agree with you on all your points here. I don't care for the logo copying but I guess it is what it is. I think that if they can take the time to copy. Why not develop your own product w/ a reasonable price and be competitive with the big name brands.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Why do people knowingly buy mods and other hardware for $150+ when it only costs the manufacturer a fraction of that price to make them and they can buy mods and tanks that do the exact same for for much much cheaper. Seems like a waste of money to me

You and many commenters in this thread seem to have no idea what it costs to produce a mod. Hint: What it costs to make the mod is only a portion of costs.

Study the case of Super T.

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
A little background on why I asked this, my intention for asking, and where I'm coming from on this topic:

I'm just coming into this after quitting ....-logs, and I see lots of warnings and complaints regarding getting counterfeit $30 tanks, and $10-15 batts. I even have read that there are sub-standard counterfeit replacement coils out there. So as a relative newb, I look for authentics that (theoretically) should be higher quality.

As for clone mods, I would never spend $200+ on an authentic mod. Nor, would I knowingly spend half the msrp price for a clone mod. I'm going to be an VV/VW box modder, I like the control and ease of use of box mods... and most are sub $100.

It wasn't my intention to put down anyone who uses a clone! I was merely trying to point out that the popularity of these clone mods might have led to a rush of counterfeiters to this hobby/lifestyle, "cloning" nearly everything from a $300 mod down to a $5 coil!

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
A little background on why I asked this, my intention for asking, and where I'm coming from on this topic:

I'm just coming into this after quitting ....-logs, and I see lots of warnings and complaints regarding getting counterfeit $30 tanks, and $10-15 batts. I even have read that there are sub-standard counterfeit replacement coils out there. So as a relative newb, I look for authentics that (theoretically) should be higher quality.

As for clone mods, I would never spend $200+ on an authentic mod. Nor, would I knowingly spend half the msrp price for a clone mod. I'm going to be an VV/VW box modder, I like the control and ease of use of box mods... and most are sub $100.

It wasn't my intention to put down anyone who uses a clone! I was merely trying to point out that the popularity of these clone mods might have led to a rush of counterfeiters to this hobby/lifestyle, "cloning" nearly everything from a $300 mod down to a $5 coil!

Heh you don't even know the half of the uproar.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Why Do People Knowingly Buy Clones?

Why do people constantly ask stupid Questions?
Why do people start pissing contest?
Why are people so Nosy?
Why do people have to constantly Judge others?
Why do people think they are better than others.
Why?
Why?
Why?
:D

Seriously, as for my purchases. I look for a decent design I don't mind getting beat up/lost/stolen.
I have no need for Collector Status.
I could give a crap is anyone notices what I have.
I only PIF, not Sell.

I have yet to find a Clone that made me want to run out and waste a Paycheck on a single original.

Some people will only purchase a soft drink in 20oz bottles at a Convenience store. Others shop for the best sale price on 2 Liter Bottles.

It is called individuality.:)

I am not in the business of keeping others in business. I am in the business of surviving to the next paycheck and have 7 others depending on me.

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
Why do people constantly ask stupid Questions?
Why do people start pissing contest?
Why are people so Nosy?
Why do people have to constantly Judge others?
Why do people think they are better than others.
Why?
Why?
Why?
:D

Seriously, as for my purchases. I look for a decent design I don't mind getting beat up/lost/stolen.
I have no need for Collector Status.
I could give a crap is anyone notices what I have.
I only PIF, not Sell.

I have yet to find a Clone that made me want to run out and waste a Paycheck on a single original.

Some people will only purchase a soft drink in 20oz bottles at a Convenience store. Others shop for the best sale price on 2 Liter Bottles.

It is called individuality.:)

I am not in the business of keeping others in business. I am in the business of surviving to the next paycheck and have 7 others depending on me.

I guess you missed this post:

And the point... LOL!

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
You and many commenters in this thread seem to have no idea what it costs to produce a mod. Hint: What it costs to make the mod is only a portion of costs.

Study the case of Super T.

The problem comes from people jumping on the 'I am going to make a mod and sell it for $200' bandwagon. They see that others have made crazy profits from simple and easy to make designs and want a piece of that action regardless of not having the manufacturing capabilities or experience to make it work.
Every week there are 'new' mechanical mods coming out, design almost indistinguishable from existing ones and made by a new company that has hyped up their product on social networking sites.

Why should we, as consumers foot the bill for these people trying to make a fast buck and cash in on a growing trend?

Obviously there are exceptions, but they are few and far between, the exceptions are the innovators (Svoemesto, Footoon etc etc), but due to their manufacturing facilities/choices (and business/sales models) the prices are too high for the majority of vapers.

Super T have gone on to other machining jobs rather than in the vape industry, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel for those who actually have skilled workers/machinists for life after the e-cig bubble bursts. You can blame all of the 'pop up' mod/atomizer manufacturers for putting them out of business rather than clone buyers.

It is like what has happened in the coffee shop business (in the UK at least), coffee had a massive boom here, the high streets were littered with independent coffee shops all vying for your business, all set up by people trying to cash in on the trend. Sadly there were not enough consumers to keep all of them in business, so some had to fold.
(I would say Starbucks is like the clone manufacturer in this analogy, but their prices are too high to be a fair comparison)

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I guess you missed this post:

And the point... LOL!

Op, My response was not directed to you but rather the subject as you will see within a few pages of responses. It has already started.:D

People will blame a Companies failure on such without ever considering poor business practice, outdated product and other factors that may have had effect.
To many Original designers are selling out on release for that to fly.
Next will come the Morals arguments and so on.

Simply put - I live My life, not my neighbors.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Why do people knowingly buy mods and other hardware for $150+ when it only costs the manufacturer a fraction of that price to make them and they can buy mods and tanks that do the exact same for for much much cheaper. Seems like a waste of money to me

The same can be said for any brand name product, but how many people here buy Nike or whatever brand is popular now, vs, bobo generic sneakers at Walmart? There is a hypocrisy in the vaping world where counterfeits are embraced and accepted...
I take it you don't own any electronics? The sum of the parts and labor for nearly all electronics is far less than the retail price...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread