Why does everyone have problems with Max VG in RTA/RBA/OCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudyWithChanceOfVape

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2014
USA
Just bought the Kangertech Subtank..... Was told I couldn't use my Max VG juice and I needed to buy some of their lower VG juice. I told the guy no thank you, I know what i'm doing and I can make it wick the Max VG.

Needless to say I got home, the STOCK OCC coil, .5 ohm, wicks my Max VG perfectly fine, even with chain vaping.

I ripped the pre-made coil out of the 1.2 ohm OCC head, and built my own .6 ohm coil in it, wicked it with Organic Cotton (Not KGD or Bacon, Just organic cotton from Walgreens) and it wicks perfectly fine with my Max VG.

I built a single coil .7 ohm spaced coil, wicked it with the double tails on each side, cut off to where it touches the deck, but not touching the threads, put the chimney cap on, and made sure the juice channel was free of blockage, and it wicks perfect with the Max VG.

No leaks, no dry hits, running each OCC head at 30 watts, and the RBA deck at 35 watts.

This is the original Subtank, 6ml for OCC and 4.2 for RBA, (NOT THE NEW 7.0mL version).

So let me hear it.... What have you guys noticed or seen about the wicking ideas, why has yours not worked?

WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE SAY YOU CANT USE MAX VG ON RTA's, especially on the Kanger Subtank????

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Just bought the Kangertech Subtank..... Was told I couldn't use my Max VG juice and I needed to buy some of their lower VG juice. I told the guy no thank you, I know what i'm doing and I can make it wick the Max VG.

Needless to say I got home, the STOCK OCC coil, .5 ohm, wicks my Max VG perfectly fine, even with chain vaping.

I ripped the pre-made coil out of the 1.2 ohm OCC head, and built my own .6 ohm coil in it, wicked it with Organic Cotton (Not KGD or Bacon, Just organic cotton from Walgreens) and it wicks perfectly fine with my Max VG.

I built a single coil .7 ohm spaced coil, wicked it with the double tails on each side, cut off to where it touches the deck, but not touching the threads, put the chimney cap on, and made sure the juice channel was free of blockage, and it wicks perfect with the Max VG.

No leaks, no dry hits, running each OCC head at 30 watts, and the RBA deck at 35 watts.

This is the original Subtank, 6ml for OCC and 4.2 for RBA, (NOT THE NEW 7.0mL version).

So let me hear it.... What have you guys noticed or seen about the wicking ideas, why has yours not worked?

WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE SAY YOU CANT USE MAX VG ON RTA's, especially on the Kanger Subtank????
Please keep in mind that not every occ or rba made for the subtank is exactly the same. Speaking as someone who uses high vg and also has several subtanks (2 original, 1 mini, 2 plus) it's difficult to get it to wice perfectly. It's possible that you're pulling harder than other people, creating more of a vacuum. It's also possible that you lucked out and got awesome, perfectly made coils and rbas. It's entirely possible that the max vg you have is not quite as thick as other companies max vg juice. I can tell you from experience that it's possible to get dry hits on every kanger subtank currently available.

Signmaker

Oct 26, 2014
Berks, Pennsy, 'Murrica
The factory OCC heads are wicked a little too tight for max vg. They can be massaged into shape though, either by plucking out a little cotton, or pushing it back in towards the coil. Both the OCCs and RBA deck can be set up for max vg. I can pull chain vape lung hits on Suicide Bunny's max vg, and it gets too hot on the drip tip long before the wick goes dry (on RBA deck).

Sounds like the guy wanted to sell you some more juice.

CloudyWithChanceOfVape

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2014
USA
Yeah, i'm pretty sure he just wanted to make a few more bucks off of me (which I can understand, BUT NOT AT THE COST OF LYING TO ME). I understand everything is made different, I was just giving MY experience.

MY stock OCC .5 ohm head wicks my Max VG perfect.
MY REBUILT OCC head with a .6 ohm spaced single coil wicked with regular organic cotton wicks my Max VG perfect.
MY single coil .7 coil I built and wicked with split tails for wicking and keeping the juice channel free wicks my Max VG perfect.

I was just curious if anyone else has had these experiences. Obviously some people say its not possible and you have to modify the cotton in the stock OCC heads, I DIDNT.

McFeely

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
Washington, PA
Yeah, i'm pretty sure he just wanted to make a few more bucks off of me (which I can understand, BUT NOT AT THE COST OF LYING TO ME). I understand everything is made different, I was just giving MY experience.

I doubt he was lying to you, he may have been trying to save you some hassle, I bet he's had a few customers that had issues with it, he was giving you his experience. I used to work in sales and I hated when people thought I was just trying to gouge them out of their cash, sometimes its easier to up sell than have an irate customer come back, of course they never remember you tried to talk them into something that would have solved their problem.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
It was a Flea Market. Of course he was trying to gouge me bro..... He wanted $25 for a 15mL premium blends, he don't "carry" house blend. So yeah, I KNOW he was trying to make a bigger sell broseph. lol
Most brick and mortars I've seen tend to charge about that much for "premium" brands. I couldn't afford to vape if I used premium juice lol. Glad that the subtank is kicking .... for you.

CloudyWithChanceOfVape

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2014
USA
Oh i'm loving it. I know B&M's have to charge a little more because THEY order online and have to make up for their juice, but seriously....

Premium juice, $25 for 30mL
OR
My personal choice (Love their juice, not affiliated, but all my juice comes from there because I love their prices and their flavors are phenomenal to me, MBV) is 236mL for $35.99......

Hmm, $10 more and I get 206 more mL????? I think so.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Not all max VG's are made the same, there's no set definition of 'Max VG.' It is exactly how it sounds, they put as much VG in as possible. Especially if the company is using any of the common brands based in PG such as Capella, TFA, FW, FA, etc. Also, if it's any recipes containing custards, the PG content can approach 30% from flavorings alone.

What juice are you using?

EDIT: Just saw your post about MBV, nvm on the question above. Have you checked out ITC? They are same pricing scheme and are lovely.

Reactions: jdrewry

silenuz

Feb 24, 2015
Covington, GA, USA
It's not that everyone has problems with it, it's that they only post on here with the problems. Not normally when everything is working well. :p

But as someone said before cold temps will turn vg into syrup.

Also you may be vaping "max vg" but a lot of those places dilute theirs not to mention the 10-20% of flavoring. So really you most likely have 80/20 at best.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
It was a Flea Market. Of course he was trying to gouge me bro..... He wanted $25 for a 15mL premium blends, he don't "carry" house blend. So yeah, I KNOW he was trying to make a bigger sell broseph. lol

Well to be fair, he wasn't only trying to gouge you. I am sure everyone that stopped by got the same treatment for the same 25 buck eliquid.

I don't have a problem with max Vg in any device. The old Vivas did give me issues though.

CloudyWithChanceOfVape

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2014
USA
No, i'm sure it wasn't ONLY me....

I was refering to the above person who said "He probably wasnt trying to gouge you"

Because he was. He probably gouged a few people and made good money that day, I just don;t buy into the hole "You cant use max vg in your RTA's or OCC coils" because in my case, it isnt true. I can twist a coil and wick it so that I have zero dry hits on 30-35 watts, plenty of vapor, plenty of flavor, zero problems.

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga

I've always said it works. My local shop uses Kanger Subtanks as testers for their max vg line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread