Why does my kayfun 5 keep tasting burnt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
It either for reasons listed above, or you might have a slight short or your wattage is a bit high and the liquid cant keep up with the heat or one of your insulators is not quite right.

Id adjust your wick thickness first and wattage first.

Its rare that its an insulator but its happened to me, but on another rta.

Reactions: ChelsB

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
It either for reasons listed above, or you might have a slight short or your wattage is a bit high and the liquid cant keep up with the heat or one of your insulators is not quite right.

Id adjust your wick thickness first and wattage first.

Its rare that its an insulator but its happened to me, but on another rta.

Thanks! Shouldn't it be able to handle high wattage?

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Okay,..now we're back to burnt hits. Here's the new wick
1c43e9e9a22969152c3165eab354b083.jpg

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Its all a matter of balance , many people use their KF5 at high wattages but the factors are : thickness of liquid which you have to take into account for how much cotton, how wide your diameter etc.

If your liquid cant keep up then you have to adjust for it. What is your liquids ratio? ( sorry if you already posted) I use really thick almost to all VG so it brings me problems when it comes to finding the balance. Some use real thin liquid and can use much more wick material.

Its all in experiementing or getting tips from another that vapes in similar style as you, as far as ratio, wattage etc. ITs fun and frustrating for me when getting a new atty.

Its a good one.

Reactions: ChelsB

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Its all a matter of balance , many people use their KF5 at high wattages but the factors are : thickness of liquid which you have to take into account for how much cotton, how wide your diameter etc.

If your liquid cant keep up then you have to adjust for it. What is your liquids ratio? ( sorry if you already posted) I use really thick almost to all VG so it brings me problems when it comes to finding the balance. Some use real thin liquid and can use much more wick material.

Its all in experiementing or getting tips from another that vapes in similar style as you, as far as ratio, wattage etc. ITs fun and frustrating for me when getting a new atty.

Its a good one.

I'm at 80/20 liquid

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I can't really tell from the picture, but your coil looks black, like it has residue that is itching to be dry burned when you change your wick. A bath will not get rid of this reside that may be giving you a burnt taste; you have to dry burn it off.

I re-wick every day not because my wicks go bad, but because my coils gunk up and the flavor tastes off, possibly with a burnt taste.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I can't really tell from the picture, but your coil looks black, like it has residue that is itching to be dry burned when you change your wick. A bath will not get rid of this reside that may be giving you a burnt taste; you have to dry burn it off.

I re-wick every day not because my wicks go bad, but because my coils gunk up and the flavor tastes off, possibly with a burnt taste.

Thanks, @Firestorm. I will take out the wick now and try dry burning it then I will put a new wick back in and see if that helps

Reactions: anavidfan

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle

Yep looking at the photo can't really get a good look at the coil itself but I do agree that they do look a bit gunked.

When you pulse you need to get them red, dunk them in water and to that at least 3-4 times.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California

Thanks, @Firestorm. I will take out the wick now and try dry burning it then I will put a new wick back in and see if that helps

Reactions: anavidfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread