Why does Vaping cause Dehydration (and analogs don't)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
umm...im no expert or anything but i think this whole vaping causes dehydration business is either a myth or is very much overblown

i mean maybe it causes some minor loss of water to the body but not enough to really affect you

i've been a distance runner for years and haven't noticed any uptake in water, etc since i started vaping

in any case, i dont think you need to go out and be all having a half gallon of water on your desk, if you are dehydrating the body will let you know via thirst

donna_

Aug 27, 2013
USA
umm...im no expert or anything but i think this whole vaping causes dehydration business is either a myth or is very much overblown

i mean maybe it causes some minor loss of water to the body but not enough to really affect you

i've been a distance runner for years and haven't noticed any uptake in water, etc since i started vaping

in any case, i dont think you need to go out and be all having a half gallon of water on your desk, if you are dehydrating the body will let you know via thirst

No it's not a myth or overblown. Your assessment is far off base for many reasons; but assuming that you take good care of yourself as a long distance runner, you would seemingly be replenishing the fluids and metabolites you need. Not everyone does this.

Many people do not drink a lot of water by nature and add to that drink coffee, alcohol and/or soda. The body will cope to a point -- I went years without drinking water despite heavy soda or coffee use...and smoking.

Then there is the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back... be it extra coffee or vaping. Other people have health issues or medication that dehydrate them. They don't feel it until the push their limit. By the time you feel true dehydration you're sick -- avoid this like the plague. It is very unpleasant. But it is also probably uncommon in most relatively healthy vapers.

The bottom line is drink more water with vaping, esp. if you feel you need it or are not getting the recommended daily amount. Don't rely on how your mouth feels rely on how you feel and how good your vapes are (which involves other factors but losing taste can be a sign). Also notice your skin. If you can pinch the skin on the back of your hand and it doesn't snap back as quickly, you're dehydrated to varying degree. And of course dry skin and lips could be external or internal...it is often both.

I even find some dehydration with the VG if I chain vape.

TL; DR H2O is your friend and I've learned to live with it -- even though I'm not a huge fan of its taste. It's also essential for new vapers who quit smoking...helps eliminate toxins, gunk in the lungs etc.

Last edited:

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
The simple answer is... because PG is a humectant. A humectant keeps things moist (when used as an ingredient) by attracting and retaining moisture. In this case, the PG is absorbing the water from our mouths and throats.

As far as total dehydration? I haven't noticed PG having enough will to drain my organs of moisture, but constantly inhaling it can certainly give me a dry mouth and throat. I would suppose doubly so if you are already prone to 'dry mouth" like I am.

I just keep a bottle of water with me at all times (since I pretty much vape nonstop) and make sure I'm taking sips.

If one is already a big drinker of liquids, you may not notice dry mouth symptoms.

XeniaMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Xenia, Ohio
Dehydration lasted a long time for me, but is not as bad now as in the beginning (been vaping about 9 months). If you really want that 'sahara' feeling, try vaping all day while drinking coffee. Yikes. That combination doesn't work to well. What I have noticed is the severe (oh...how do I put this delicately) constipation. That is something that's never gone away since starting vaping, but it's worth the trade off. :oops:

donna_

Aug 27, 2013
USA
I think it is one of the things that turns off new vapors that don't know to hydrate themselves.

I really agree with this. The last thing on my mind (and I suspect others') when I stopped analogs was propylene and vegetable glycerine. All I could think about was nic-o-tine and throat hit. At least I knew rather quickly what was going on and the solution, but I suspect many people move on, thinking: thanks, but no thanks -- if they hadn't already done so with their first taste of nic juice. :blink:

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I really agree with this. The last thing on my mind (and I suspect others') when I stopped analogs was propylene and vegetable glycerine. All I could think about was nic-o-tine and throat hit. At least I knew rather quickly what was going on and the solution, but I suspect many people move on, thinking: thanks, but no thanks -- if they hadn't already done so with their first taste of nic juice. :blink:

Actually there is PG and VG in cigarettes, although small amounts.

donna_

Aug 27, 2013
USA
Actually there is PG and VG in cigarettes, although small amounts.

Apparently this makes little practical difference if you didn't get dehydrated on them. I didn't and I know others who haven't needed more water with analogs (though it would be healthier) but do with vaping or have to drink more water so they don't. I'm using all organic product and can't see another cause for it.

It doesn't bother me, I needed to drink more water. It seems common knowledge here that people who vape should drink water. That people aren't informed they may need more water is the part that would be nice to see rectified. But that's another can of worms.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
PG & VG are hydrophilic humectants 'water loving'. They attract water molecules. .

If I don't keep my hydration up, I still get very chapped lips sometimes from vaping....and notice some of my mucos membranes drying out. Best to keep membranes moist as once there is a break in them, germs can get in.

I never had a canker sore until I started vaping....my doctor explained to me why I had one suddenly, along with the very dry lips......and yes, he also pointed out about the properties of humectants. :)

ExCon

Dec 21, 2013
EU
I just stumbled upon an article from a retailer (so perhaps not the most unbiased source) with the following info:

"The most common noted side effect of inhalation of e-liquid containing propylene glycol is a dry mouth, sore throat, and increased thirst. These symptoms usually last just a few days to a week as the body gets used to the propylene glycol. These symptoms can be elevated by drinking more water and liquids then usual for the first few weeks of using your e-cigarette."

Hope this helps.

I've been vaping for 4 months now but I still feel that my throat is very dry every day. Sometimes it gets so bad that I have to drink 10 or more times when trying to fall asleep. I always have to carry a bottle of water with me and I put one bottle near to bed at night. Is there any chance that my throat is still going to get used to vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread