Why does Vaping cause Dehydration (and analogs don't)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I just stumbled upon an article from a retailer (so perhaps not the most unbiased source) with the following info:

"The most common noted side effect of inhalation of e-liquid containing propylene glycol is a dry mouth, sore throat, and increased thirst. These symptoms usually last just a few days to a week as the body gets used to the propylene glycol. These symptoms can be elevated by drinking more water and liquids then usual for the first few weeks of using your e-cigarette."

Hope this helps.

Elevated or eliviated?? big difference

SinIsIn

Dec 25, 2013
NJ
Hello! I am a new member to this forum, and already finding it really useful. I hadn't noticed that I felt "more" dehydrated while using my new ecig, but I have only had it for a few days now. Still, good to know. If there is a scientific reason for the products to cause dehydration, I am sure it is happening even if I didn't notice it yet. I will be sure to keep up my water intake considering that. This seems like a great place for ECig information, which is awesome because I had a lot of the questions I tried to google search information for, but that took me to mostly product websites, and I know that information is often a bit biased. ~C

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
PG, VG, it all dehydrates.
Maybe so, but it doesn't affect everyone equally.

I drink coffee all day long, interspersed with some iced tea here and there. I'll have some non-caf soda in the evening and end the day with milk. About the only time I'll drink straight water is on warm-to-hot days when I'm doing something physical enough to make me sweat profusely. Replacing smoking (2 PAD) with vaping hasn't produced any symptoms of dehydration.

tornadochaser

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2013
skokie illinois
I just returned to vaping after some time away from it since i bought a itazte vv 3.0 and only been using it for a day now, but don't really recall feeling dehydrated when i was using my ego, course i am always drinking something usually soda, coffee,tea or some kind of juice. not a big fan of water but i will remember this if i start feeling more thirsty…. also in nicer weather i usually smoke my nice egyption hookah with some nice egyptian 2 apple shish and don't recall feeling dehydrated with that either.

ccubed

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
Denver, CO
Been vaping for 86 days and my nose is the place I notice getting way drier than normal. I have upped my water intake and also have been using saline nasal spray more frequently since vaping. I knew that PG is a humectent and because I exhale through both my mouth and nose that my nasal cavities would be drier than normal. I've gotten used to it, and also want to report that it has gotten better over the past month. The first month + of vaping, REALLY dry. I'm glad it improved and am willing to keep up my water intake and using the saline nasal spray. The benefits of vaping over smoking make my dry nose seem like a very minor inconvenience.

Vape on, Merry Christmas and namaste.

I consider the thirst that comes with vaping to be sort of a bonus. I never seemed to drink as much water as I probably should when huffing analogues but with steady vaping the last few weeks my water intake has significantly increased, which is a good thing. When I started vaping I tried to give my old carcass a boost in clearing itself out and some cleansing tonics and tablets from my chiropractor helped along with significantly increasing the water. It is going to take some time but we're on a better path.

ExCon

Dec 21, 2013
EU
I've been vaping for 4 months now but I still feel that my throat is very dry every day. Sometimes it gets so bad that I have to drink 10 or more times when trying to fall asleep. I always have to carry a bottle of water with me and I put one bottle near to bed at night. Is there any chance that my throat is still going to get used to vaping?

So. Does anyone know whether I still have a chance to get used to vaping?
During the first month of vaping I used to drink 2-3 or even more litres of water. Not that I felt like I'm thirsty, I just thought it may help for my dry throat but it seems that dehydration is not the problem here.

ashenefield

Mar 8, 2014
Ohio
I, like many others have experienced the dry mouth and chapping of my lips no matter how much I seem to drink. I will continue to vape and seek that perfect combination of PG/VG that will best suit me. I do feel the benefits I have experienced while vaping over smoking are tremendous. I have started making my own "juice" now and am in the process of trying different recipes to attempt to determine if certain flavors have more or less side affects. I have noticed one thing that I thought was worth sharing. I have looked at and studied the design and functionality of many different e-cig devices and made one observation I feel could be key to the future of vaping and actually enjoying vaping for some people. I feel that if we could create some sort of chamber or filter like device to go between the mouth piece and the tank or cartomizer or atomizer of the device that could be filled with water or contain a pad (simular to the material found inside a cartomizer) that can be wet with water that this may in fact help greatly reduce the cotton mouth like symptoms many people experience. Taking this observation a step further and wanting to see if in fact it would work I made a filter like contraption and connected it to my Kanger Pro Tank 2 and simply relocated the mouth piece to the end of my device. It worked. I tried it for 72 hours and had almost NO dry mouth at all. I did however notice a few things, I went though more juice with it than I did without it, I had to re-wet it after 8-10 drags or hits and the vapor was a lot more fine vs the heavy cloud like vapor I had before attaching the device. This being said I think that with further exploration and better design this may actually be something worth trying in the future.

Emmay

Mar 2, 2014
Ct
I think, as with many things, people are affected differently. For me, 100% VG makes me very "fleghmy" while 100% PG makes my sinuses so dry my nose bleeds.

I switched to a mix that works for me - 40VG/60PG. I typically drink a lot of water daily but still has dry sinuses from vaping (in the dry winter anyway). A saline spray and/or netti pot works and regardless of vaping helps during the dry months.

Dry sinuses beats the heck out of chronic bronchitis from smoking! (Not that there was any question on that, I'm just saying for me)

Anyway - try saline spray or a netti pot. As I mentioned earlier, they're good for you regardless of vaping and do help with any extra dryness vaping causes. Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread