Why Don’t More Smokers Switch to Using E-Cigarettes: The Views of Confirmed Smokers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Why Don’t More Smokers Switch to Using E-Cigarettes: The Views of Confirmed Smokers

Comments from smokers:

"Worse than normal cigarettes. Normal smoking has been around for so long. You know where you are with normal traditional smoking. E-cigarettes have not been tried and tested enough to be flooding the market as they are. I predict there will be campaigns about e-cigarettes in the future. Breathing fluid into your lungs. " (72 years old female smoker)

"They are awful and nothing like having a real cigarette or roll up and in a few years they will find some new detrimental health condition that e-cigarettes have caused probably worse than the effects of smoking tobacco. " (58 years old female smoker)

"E-cigarettes are extremely toxic, not natural and far more dangerous than organic tobacco." (55 years old female smoker)

"I am not convinced that there aren’t any long-term health risks with vaping. At least with smoking cigarettes I am aware of the chemicals I am breathing in." (54 years old female smoker)

"I’ve got my doubts about it not being natural but completely artificial. Having grown tobacco for a couple of years now I know the plant. I trust plants. I don’t trust chemicals." (67 years old male smoker)

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Having choices is a wonderful thing. But that doesn't mean everyone will or should make the same ones we did, or that the one we made will work for everyone.

I agree but many smokers doesn't see e-cigarettes as a viable choice, because they think e-cigarettes are equally or even more harmful than tobacco cigarettes. Because of chemicals, not natural, additives, not organic and detrimental to health... Happens in my country on a daily basis.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Conclusions:
"...If e-cigarettes are going to appeal to a much wider range of smokers, it will be necessary for the vaping experience to be at least as enjoyable as smoking (in terms of smokers’ perceptions) and very probably more enjoyable than smoking. There is an important need to ensure the continued availability of a wide range of flavours and of a wide range of e-cigarette “kit” encompassing technology which is relatively simple and easy to use (cig-a-like) and that which is more complex and appealing to those who enjoy new technology. There is a need to ensure that that these devices can be used in a wide range of public settings without users experiencing the stigma that is sometimes attached to their use [34]. It will require the continued availability of e-cigarettes at a price that makes them competitive with combustible tobacco products, and it will require the vaping experience to be as similar as possible to the smoking experience (in the speed of nicotine delivery, in the effect on the throat, taste, sensation)."

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
The upstart cost used to be relatively high to find out if it was even workable until recently. And cheap devices that were available just weren't workable for most smokers. There is a learning process involved too. Not just open pack put cig in mouth and fire it up.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It's a safe bet that what all the reasons have in common is they are not the reasonns. My pitch is don't even try to stop smoking. Smoke all you want, just start vaping. Don't consider health benefits. Look at the money you might save. Those aren't the real reason to try vaping but may be they work better than the real reasons.

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
As an ex-smoker and husband to a current smoker, I can confirm that many smokers will cling to any excuse to not quit smoking.

For those who want an alternative, let's hope vaping will be around for them.

I agree, when I smoked I didn't want to quit no matter any good reason to do it. The thing that smokers don't realize about vaping is that they will still have a lot of the smoking sensations as vaping mimics smoking in a lot of its aspects.

Smokers don't quit because they fear loosing something for it is difficult for them to understand that vaping gives most of the things they appreciate in smoking and many more positive aspects regarding health improvement.

Of course vaping is not the same and surely is not as easy, it requires some discipline and a good dose of curiosity. It needs some experimentaron to find what suits you best.

Maybe a puff of vapor is not as satisfactory than a cigarette one, but at the end vapers get a lot of benefits that smokers won't

So when a smoker asks me about vaping I always try to highlight that you don't really loose anything when switching to vaping. That even though it won't be as satisfactory and will require some work and discipline, at the end the reward will be greater.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
As an ex-smoker and husband to a current smoker, I can confirm that many smokers will cling to any excuse to not quit smoking.

For those who want an alternative, let's hope vaping will be around for them.

I think that this explains it best. It's the addiction. I've heard every excuse in the book from the hard-core smokers I know. After vaping for nearly 5 years now, it's difficult for me to understand why one just can't give it a go. Then again, many had tried to get me to stop for many years until I walked into a shop and bought an ecig, all by myself.

marianna

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
Netherlands
68 year old female vaper:
Out of curiosity I started vaping in 2007, went from cigalikes to rta's, rda's, rdta's, and ofcourse from eGo-T to boxmods. Vaping is less dangerous than inhaling air in a big city, and no more full ashtrays everywhere in my house, no more brown curtains and stinking clothes, no more burned holes in my clothes, and my house will not get fire by tobacco cigarettes.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
It's a safe bet that what all the reasons have in common is they are not the reasonns. My pitch is don't even try to stop smoking. Smoke all you want, just start vaping. Don't consider health benefits. Look at the money you might save. Those aren't the real reason to try vaping but may be they work better than the real reasons.

I know that I wasn't actually trying to quit smoking when I started vaping. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I know that I wasn't actually trying to quit smoking when I started vaping. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about
I think the most forceful argument for vaping has nothing to do with health of the smoker. I spent $3,000 a year smoking a carton a week in Michigan. Today my cost of ingredients for a year of vaping is $25. Cost of rebuilding supplies,, literally about $2 a year. So take parents who smoke as I did and switch to vaping and minimize the expense as I have. The biggest beneficiaries are the kids. $6,000 a year (after taxes) is a lot of money in any household. It's a truism that every dime that's not spent on necessities is spent on the kids. If the $1 trillion tobacco business disappeared that's a lot of money for the kids. What disease does more harm than smoking?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I think the most forceful argument for vaping has nothing to do with health of the smoker.
It very much depends on the individual. I was spending over $4k a year on cigs. That wasn't a factor for me. But my incessant smoker's cough / chronic bronchitis definitely was. It cleared up amazingly fast and there have been other obvious health benefits as well.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I agree, the savings weren't the prime motivation. I won't the stop smoking as it was affecting my health. My health has improved noticeably. My blood pressure is done, my heart rate at 98 has dropped down to 75. I sleep better at night and breathe better. Haven't had a cold since stopping either, something I usually had every 2 or 3 months.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It very much depends on the individual. I was spending over $4k a year on cigs. That wasn't a factor for me. But my incessant smoker's cough / chronic bronchitis definitely was. It cleared up amazingly fast and there have been other obvious health benefits as well.
I seized on the ecig idea almost immediately. It looked like my last chance. Whether it would save money was not a consideration at the time. There were all sorts of personal reasons, not related to health, that were nagging me. Becoming a former smoker was something that needed to get done whether it improved my health or saved me money or not. It was a pleasant suprise when vaping turned out to be a superior experience, as interesting as pipe smoking, and basically free. From time to time smokers suddenly get a strong urge to stop smoking. If you happen to be a confirmed vaper when that moment comes there is a much greater chance of success.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
The upstart cost used to be relatively high to find out if it was even workable until recently. And cheap devices that were available just weren't workable for most smokers. There is a learning process involved too. Not just open pack put cig in mouth and fire it up.
Actually, there's a famous learning process for traditional cigs, too. Namely, how to inhale so you don't have a coughing fit!

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
The comments are the same as they would be with just about any other addiction.

"It will be easier when the move is over."

"It will be easier when the divorce goes through."

"It will be easier when the kids leave for school."

No, it won't. It will only get harder with every passing day. :facepalm:

Stephen37

Moved On
Jul 4, 2017
Australia
  • Deleted by retired1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread