Why I'm going back to smoking cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamminloud

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2011
in the wind
No,

You just insinuated and accused the op of being some secret agent for big tobacco and then when nobody responded to your post, you got mad and made your own soapbox topic.

Sad and disappointing really since your posts are of no help to the OP at all.

Said I was not going to banter with you. The way you have singled me out, I'm beginning to think you're an agent. Gotta go feed the cows......mahalo......

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
Burnt almost did me in too. The first time it happened to me I thought I could never go through that again.

I have since learned how to make sure cartomizers are filled right from the start, kept wet, and thrown away when they have served their purpose.

If I had done everything right (for me) since the beginning, this would be my cost:

$145 REO Grand with shipping
$40 Two AW IMR 18650 batteries with a charger with shipping (possibly replace every 6 mos.?)
$20 for some accessories I wanted (adapter, cone, stainless steel drip tip)
$6 Bottle of Noalox (will last 2+ years)
$3 a week for Boge LR cartomizers (free shipping)
$3-5 a week for DIY juice or $15 a week for purchased juice

Even if the weekly cost came to the same amount I was spending on smoking, it would be so worth it for my health alone.

What is Noalox for?

Dan Bean

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2011
UK
ecigfind.com
Hi P. I had a nightmare with the burnt thing too and like you very nearly gave this thing up altogether. I was using a similar device to yours, big hot battery (650Ah) but with just a regular atty- no tank.

The burnt taste is down to the burning wick (as a couple of people here have already mentioned). If u are using regular atties, you can remove this as well as the bridge (see this vid) YouTube - ‪How to remove your Wick (Mod)‬‏ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDQ-xcfYFHM and you will then have a device which will drip only.

If you don't like the idea of dripping, you can mod the atty further using a pipe screen filter, shaped to fit inside the atty chamber and which stores and releases liquid slowly meaning you dont have to drip the whole time. If your pipescreen filter is nice and close to the atty, the atty will stay wet and should last for longer - this has solved my burnt issues for now.... hope it helps you too. I may do a video on this soon - take care.

Last edited:

brittanyNI

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2011
New England
Maybe it is just me because I am still 30% on analogs; but analogs definitely taste burnt to me -- perhaps because I use my lighter to literally light them on fire. :blush:

In all seriousness, looking at the math, I use 2 cartos in place of one pack of analogs. I just use ordinary cartos from V4L (808D) or SAFP (510). I find they can be refilled once or maybe twice before they start to taste burnt. And you know what I do if they taste burnt? I throw them away because they are supposed to be disposable. Easy.

I smoke a premium brand of analogs and they cost (depending on where I buy them) $7 to $9 a pack. Figuring 2 uses per cartomizer (and it comes prefilled so I only pay for juice for the second filling), my cost is roughly the equivalent of $1.50/pack.

Yes, there are "startup costs." I have four 808D XL batteries, two 510 Mega batteries and associated chargers. Lets call it $200 just for fun because the batteries wear out and need to be replaced.

I used to smoke a pack of analogs a day. $8/day x 365 days = $2920

Though I plan to cut back more, I am still using a pack of analogs every three days, so over a year that is $913. For the e-cigarette remainder I am spending $200 in hardware plus $361 in cartos and juice. So even if I stay smoking 1/3rd of the time; my total annual cost has dropped from $2920 to $1474.

If I were to quit the analogs completely, my annual cost would only be $747.50. But, hey, let's go crazy and just round it up to $1,000. Even at that, it would still only be a third of the cost -- and that is just using the cartomizers as disposable after one refill and really exaggerating the costs.

So I don't really see cost as a big detractor. I seem to have more money in my pocket rather than less.

The burnt taste is definitely yucky and like you I'm sensitive to it. But the solution is to just get regular cartomizers, don't use them to the point of dryness, and throw them out after a single refill. When I first started I over-taxed cartos and ruined them in a hurry. Now that I am using all manual batteries, I sort of have the hang of it and am not burning them anymore. I was going at it with too much intensity. That is, I was drawing too long which cause the wick to temporarily go dry and get singed. Pacing vaping more like drawing on a cigarette definitely cuts back on the singed wick problem.

Different strokes for different folks of course; but even though I have no particular horrible health issues or anything, I feel better for having used the e-cigarettes to cut back on the analogs. Down the road I'd like to cut them out completely but I still prefer the analogs directly after meals, etc.

Either way, I'd encourage you to try the e-cigarettes again. This much I'll say -- the technology is improving and like you I threw out the first batch from a couple of years ago. But the modern stuff is better.

redheadone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
North Carolina
I you were to see my ex you would really reconsider giving up on analogs. He has smoked for years and years and now has a very sever case of COPD Yes he is off analogs now but a lot of damage has been done although I can say his condition has improved since vaping. I would at least give it one more shot. I can't begin to tell you how much money I have spent on thsi venture before I found something close to what is working for me but I assure you it is well above $700.00. Most of us here at the furm have done the same thing. I would try the lr Boge cartomizers or atty's on an ego. Try some new flavors. I didn't think I would like some of the ones I have but they have turned out to be my favs. I think people make the mistake that when they start vaping they just have to get the close to tobacco flavors which turns out to be a mistake and disappointment. I would stay away from them and try soemthing like maybe menthol flavors or maybe coffee flavors or maybe sweet flavors. Look into a mod too. I didn't think it would work for me but has turned out to be probably my best pv ever. Look st the reomods website and think about this as an option. Hopefully I have given you some things to consider and you will give vaping another shot

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I have been lurking on here ever since I discovered electronic cigarettes about a year ago. This is my first post.
This forum is a truly remarkable compilation of user experiences and information on the subject.
It is by far the best on the web, which I why I will contribute my story and seek out advice on my situation.

So that is why I'm going back to smoking cigarettes. I am curious to know if anybody else has had similar situation to mine. I am also curious to know if there is perhaps a better engineered device for me that someone can suggest.....

Thank you for your time. I eagerly await your replies.

Could be you're not ready to quit. Maybe if I would have tried vaping at a different point I wouldn't have successful either. I started vaping because of my Mother who I take care of that has COPD from a lifetime of smoking. Sit in another room and listen to someone struggle for each breath and it'll make anyone consider vaping. I'm watching her die a slow death from cigarettes. I started to vape because I tried to get her to vape with no real intention to quit myself. We both did. Timing, the moon was aligned, who knows why but it just clicked for both of us.

It wasn't without expense or frustration. Anything worth doing takes work from education, getting fit, losing weight, pretty much anything. If it was easy, everyone would be healthy, thin and fit and not smoke.

Maybe wait a few months and try again. I read the posts from the vets that talk about how vaping was in the beginning and it's come a long way. Maybe in a few months something will come out that will address the issues you have with vaping.

I give you credit for sticking with it and giving it a shot. Now you know it's an option, and what vaping is all about and with some changes this might be a way for you to get off the analogs.

TinyTimberGal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Wisconsin
picasaweb.google.com
As many here have said for some people, one has to really want to quit to make it work. The argument that the cost is prohibitive is merely an excuse many of us use to justify our decisions. The same ("It costs too much") excuses can be used regarding fitness or weight loss or just about anything else.

There's nothing wrong with your decision, it's just a decision you chose to make. The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory.

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
Cigs are $10 a pack in NY. Ecigs cost me less than $1 a day, in juice and attys over a month's time, if I make my own juice. And $2.00 a day if I buy pre made juices. I'm a VG juice dripper and have never burned up an atty or gotten burnt taste from an atty that wouldn't go away when rewet. I buy a new $6 atty every 2-3 weeks because they seem to lose their momentum over time.

It's a HUGE savings for me! My emphysema has improved dramatically and I no longer stink:)

Lori

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Even if the OP doesn't respond, it's still a great thread for others looking for information.

The best decision I made (after switching) was to accept that cartomizers are disposable.

Could I run them under hot water, soak them, bake them, rebuild them, dehydrate them, spin them, boil them? Yes.

Do I want to do that? No.

If I could find the money for cigarettes, I certainly could commit to spending $3-7 a week on cartomizers. I accepted that if I filled it improperly and it burnt on the first try, I did it wrong, and it had to go in the garbage (thankfully hasn't happened since my first few weeks). I accepted that if I took one more hit off one that was starting to taste dry, it would burn and had to go in the garbage. I accepted that if it got hard to draw out of my PV, the carto was probably shot and had to go in the garbage. Now I use about 2 a week. I know of a supplier that sells 15 for $19, has free shipping and mails packages right away. Problem solved.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
...... I'm going back to smoking cigarettes......

You have over 50 trillion cells that will jump up and down with joy over that decision. But you know what? They're simple folk really, and they don't know any better. It's up to you to gather them together and tell them you love them more than that. Or not.

I suggest giving the volt a try. I'm very happy with my e-power, ce2s, and duel coils, but we're all different and if you need something different then give it a go. Just my .02. :laugh: :vapor:

Last edited:

MRobs23

Apr 26, 2011
Long Island, NY
How the heck did you spend 700 bucks on 2 starter kits and some cartos?

But seriously, I bought an Ego-T also and found the attys taste like crap quickly. I've also bought a pack of Boge 2.0 cartos, and found it makes all my flavors taste weird. Then I bought a LR 306 and drip tip and found my sweet spot. All told, less than 200 bucks in 2 months.

Last edited:

Nikkie1476

Jun 7, 2011
OH
I can't offer any suggestions about getting rid of the burnt taste as I've only been vaping for 3 months and have only tried 1 e cig so far. I bought a KR808D1 Starter kit and haven't had any problems. Maybe you could just just need to find what works for you. Try buying a small starter kit and don't buy extras until you know if you like it or not. They have a basic starter kit for the KR808D1 here 808-D it's only $10 + shipping ($2.99)

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
:2c:
He is what works for me.

Only buy a PV that is adjustable (variable volt). You can get a kit with two sets of batteries and charger for about $150.00 or less. It solves a bunch of problems and is worth every penny. I have had one for a year now, using the original batteries and it’s still going strong with zero problems.

Try to find ONE flavor of eliquid you like and stick with it. I have spent by far the most money chasing down new and great sounding flavors and ended up almost right back where I started. I found one that cost $10.99 for 50ml that I could use from now on.

I quit trying to clean cartomizers. It’s not worth the effort. The are disposable. I pay $9.00 for a 5 pack or $ I.80 a piece. I use them for 3 days and throw them in the trash. No hassle and almost always fresh.

Here is the cost for year (not counting freight):

$150.00 for the PV
$165.00 for the eliquid (2 ml per day)
$216.00 for the cartomizers (one every 3 days)

$531.00 per year

$1.45 per day

Last edited:

stretchpants

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
The Prettiest in NeverNear
I'd rethink going back to analogs. I smoked at least a carton of analogs a week for 40 years.My average Monthly cig bill was 160.00 at $40.00 per cartonx4
For that amount of money a month I can buy a complete Riva kit 510 at Liberty Flights with 2 bats,2 atomizers,and a wall charger for $29.99 .I buy 30 ml of juice for $13.59. I always buy a few sample flavors from them at $2.39 for 5 ml.I also buy a ego pass thru on occasion at $20.99.Which all toll adds up to $71.74 if I buy the pass thru.I have $88.26 left to spend for the month before I reach my normal analog bill of $160.00.
Liberty Flights is no fly by night supplier.They have quality stuff and you can't beat the prices.
My next month purchase is from Vapor 4 life.They have a sale almost everyday.For around $46.00 total depending on the sale.I buy four packs of 5 cool carts and usually a kr808 batt or pass through.I still have $44.00 left to spend. Sometimes I spend it sometimes I don't.Vaping can be as expensive or as reasonable as you want it to be. I'm happy with my Rivas and Kr808;s so I'm good at about $120.00 per month plus my family and Dr. are so happy for me.I can vape anywhere and I don't smell like an ashtray.It's all good.:)

stretchpants

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
The Prettiest in NeverNear
The people on this board are amazing.Some of the most kind hearted people I have ever run across.It's nice to be part of this forum.

I could give you a couple of Dual Coil 510 cartos if you would like to try them. I can even give you some juice if your low or out. The inferno is a 510 thread, correct ? I"m 15 minutes from everywhere in Phx.

ThreePutt

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2011
DFW Texas
Appreciate you guys keeping the thread up. This is my second go-around (first attempt was with the mall kiosk e-cigs, which had me back to analogs in a couple of weeks) and I just got my eGo-T. Pretty happy with it so far, but great to read different opinions on how to look at the costs. If I hadn't read this thread, and my eGo starts acting up, I may have chalked it up to another mistake, versus understanding that these things have parts, and some of those parts are disposable. Reading other threads, its apparent to keep some spare inventory around.

I appreciate all of the knowledge and experience on this board, and hope to kick the analogs for good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread