Why im returning my Crown tank to Uwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman1977

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2014
New Jersey
I don't know. I have 3 of these tanks. One stainless and 2 black ones. They're the only tanks I use now. I don't even rebuild anymore because the factory coils are that good. Its the only tank that I've never gotten a dry hit on. With the .25 coil I can get up to 80 watts without a burnt hit. The .5 coils usually around 55 or 60 My Lemo's collect dust because of these tanks. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Night_mirror

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2015
Richmond, VA
I would try upping the VG, I think that 50/50 is just too thin of juice for these coils because they seem to wick so fast. Someone stated above me they use 100 VG without any dry hits, I've had the same experience and that is saying something for pre-built coils. Just a thought though. This is a fantastic tank and I've used it almost exclusively aside from my TFV4 for 5 months now. Try 30/70, it couldn't hurt.

Reactions: smacksy

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Try the vapeston maganus ni or freemax v2 or v3, the vape is as good if not better than crown, tfv4 or mini is good too

Cheers, i am thinking of the Freemax as a friend has one and reckons its quite good. The TFV4, im still on the fence about, it probably wouldnt get to where it needs to be with my main squeeze, the VTC Mini and well the RBA for it is like the Lemo 2, which i currently build on (using legs under the screws, post holes are a pain). Ironically half the reason i was looking forward to the Crown was for the kanger style build deck of the RBA :(

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I would try upping the VG, I think that 50/50 is just too thin of juice for these coils because they seem to wick so fast. Someone stated above me they use 100 VG without any dry hits, I've had the same experience and that is saying something for pre-built coils. Just a thought though. This is a fantastic tank and I've used it almost exclusively aside from my TFV4 for 5 months now. Try 30/70, it couldn't hurt.

Fluid dynamics asked me to tell you it says that if it wont wick 50/50 juice, increasing the VG content isnt going to magically make it work any better

I'll take a dollar from you for every thread where people report wicking issues and people advise them to use thinner juice. I could retire early :)

Last edited:

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Cheers, i am thinking of the Freemax as a friend has one and reckons its quite good. The TFV4, im still on the fence about, it probably wouldnt get to where it needs to be with my main squeeze, the VTC Mini and well the RBA for it is like the Lemo 2, which i currently build on (using legs under the screws, post holes are a pain). Ironically half the reason i was looking forward to the Crown was for the kanger style build deck of the RBA :(

Update: Just looked at the TFV4 Mini - looks like a contender. Plus the RBA (RCA) on it is much more to my liking, no post holes, yay!

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
What store (online?) did you get your Crown from? I'm in Melbourne and got mine from Vapeking. I haven't got around to trying the prebuilt coils yet, but the RBA I have works great (sounds like you're sick of hearing these reports though). Just wondering if maybe the vendor has been dealing non-genuine coils?

Didnt get them online, got mine at my local B&M. Theres absolutely no way theyre not genuine, i buy 99.99% of my gear there and know the owner well after 7 months of buying gear from him.

Youre excused from your positive report because youre an Aussie :)

Night_mirror

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2015
Richmond, VA
Fluid dynamics asked me to tell you it says that if it wont wick 50/50 juice, increasing the VG content isnt going to magically make it work any better

I'll take a dollar from you for every thread where people report wicking issues and people advise them to use thinner juice. I could retire early :)
Yea man I guess that makes sense. I read somewhere several months ago on another forum about a person getting dry hits with low VG juices but IDK, personally I've only had rare dry or burnt hits toward the end of a coil's lifespan at which point I decrease the wattage in increments of 5 until I decide to change the coil. I vape between 80-100 watts using MAX VG or 30/70 and I've been through about 4 packs of the. 25 ohm coils. I usually get about 10 days out of each coil on average.

Reactions: smacksy

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
OP, really sorry to hear this issue you are having. I got away from factory coil tanks just for this reason. I don't understand the attraction of buying tanks like this when RTA's have become so cheap and mostly reliable (like your Lemo). I can understand if someone does not wish to build coils, then sure, get something like this. It's just once you experience the freedom and independence of building your own, it's like the awesome feeling you got quitting smoking all over again. JMHO

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
OP, really sorry to hear this issue you are having. I got away from factory coil tanks just for this reason. I don't understand the attraction of buying tanks like this when RTA's have become so cheap and mostly reliable (like your Lemo). I can understand if someone does not wish to build coils, then sure, get something like this. It's just once you experience the freedom and independence of building your own, it's like the awesome feeling you got quitting smoking all over again. JMHO

I began my vaping career on RTA's , straight to rebuildables on day one, and apart from a bad and leaky SubTank (like the worst leaky Subtank ever) i have only ever used RTA's. I bought the Crown for the flexibility of using prebuilt coils as well as the RBA deck....and neither worked. I thought id give it a try, but as with a lot of prebuilts, it seems to be a coil consistency/design issue.

My coils always work, every time :) I mean i had built exactly one nickel temp control build 4 months ago before my newly purchased (at the time) DNA40 mod died....fast forward 4 months and out of frustration with the Crown, and the arrival of my VTC Mini, and i built my second nickel build ever in the Lemo 2 and its been heaven....push button consistency, literally same vape every time.

Reactions: Jdurand

Paul K

Oct 30, 2015
Okay I gotta jump in on this one...

All I can say is that the original poster must have been following me around for the last month!

I've went through all 3 coils in original package plus 2 other .25 coils. Never been able to get over 45 watts without the "evil burnt" taste.

I have heard all the excellent reports but I am thoroughly disappointed. I will try another round of coils before throwing in the towel and will buy from someone who is currently sold out.

Crown "acknowledged" the issue. That's saying tons!!! I'm just glad someone else ( and there are many of us ) are having the same issues!!!
Misery loves company and I'm so glad my Herakles is still chuckin!!! I must add that I've used it more and been on the same coil. Received new .6 coils today. Can't wait for the Herakles Plus!

Last edited:

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Okay I gotta jump in on this one...

All I can say is that the original poster must have been following me around for the last month!

I've went through all 3 coils in original package plus 2 other .25 coils. Never been able to get over 45 watts without the "evil burnt" taste.

I have heard all the excellent reports but I am thoroughly disappointed. I will try another round of coils before throwing in the towel and will buy from someone who is currently sold out.

Crown "acknowledged" the issue. That's saying tons!!! I'm just glad someone else ( and there are many of us ) are having the same issues!!!
Misery loves company and I'm so glad my Herakles is still chuckin!!! I must add that I've used it more and been on the same coil. Received new .6 coils today. Can't wait for the Herakles Plus!

Youre not alone :) And im glad to hear you notice the 45w ceiling too :)

In fact i was at my local bricks and mortar vape shop this morning, where i bought the Crown from and the told the owner the tale of my experience, and even he's not having the greatest experience out of it, he's getting at maximum 5 days out of one coil. He, like many others, thought the inclusion of only 4 coils per coil pack, plus the stainless steel angle, must mean they lasted an extraordinary time...not.

I remember being one of three people who asked him whether he was getting ther Crown in stock a little ways back, so i felt a bit responsible for him having them now, and the issues since, but he assures me that none of us who asked him about whether he was gettign them in should feel responsible..he was going to get them in anyways.

He's on another tank himself now

p.s. If you happen to have a Triton, and are the kind to frankenbuild, try a Herakles coil in it. Apparently you can get some serious wattage without burning your oral cavity/lips that way (due to the top airflow control on the Triton)...young guy at the vape shop does this to run his Herakles coils at bonkers watts...Me, im not to into 80+ watt vapes, but some are :)

Last edited:

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Real bummer..but I have 3 Crown tanks no issues with any one of them, use in daily, they perform very well, I have not used the RBA so can not speak on it.

Im always glad when it works for those rare people :)

Sadly for me it goes on to the evil tank list that i thought would only ever contain the Subtank Mini - or as i call it the Subleak Spitty

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
My evil tank list is TFV4..meh..drinks juice so fast you really can't enjoy the Vape..Fill puff puff fill..

My first proper alien and he's an idiot.

Dont muddy my waters!, lol, ive been thinking about getting the TFV4 Mini (mostly for the RCA) :)

Last edited:

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Im always glad when it works for those rare people :)

Except it's you who's the rare one. Yes, you're not alone. Yes, there are surely some we've not seen post about it. But... you're not the norm.

I still think something along the lines I mentioned would explain Uwell's admitted "bad batch".
Who knows. But the coils DO last longer and they DO work ridiculously well at high watts.
Not TFV4 insanity, but still.
For what seems the vast majority of us... the tank rocks.

I just got the RBA head yesterday, but I'm waiting on a missing order so I can try some Rayon.
So that half of your issues... no idea. Not cool though, whatever was causing that.

Reactions: Night_mirror

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Except it's you who's the rare one. Yes, you're not alone. Yes, there are surely some we've not seen post about it. But... you're not the norm.

I still think something along the lines I mentioned would explain Uwell's admitted "bad batch".
Who knows. But the coils DO last longer and they DO work ridiculously well at high watts.
Not TFV4 insanity, but still.
For what seems the vast majority of us... the tank rocks.

I just got the RBA head yesterday, but I'm waiting on a missing order so I can try some Rayon.
So that half of your issues... no idea. Not cool though, whatever was causing that.

I dont think im that rare, unfortunately, look across all the vaping forums and theres far more complaints then you probably realise....

My B&M store owner has access to countless replacement coils and even he's given up on it with coils only lasting him a max of 5 days.

Mike Abrams

Account closed on request
Sep 21, 2015
New England
I was under the impression it was a great tank, given youtube reviews, but it has been nothign but full of drama and evil burnt taste....the drama unfolded thusly:

Day 1 - Switched out the installed coil for the 0.5 ohm SS coil. Primed the coil, primer puffed it, let it sit for 30-40 minutes. Vaped it at a reasonable 20w...no vapor...30w...no vapor. No worries, id heard they needed a bit of wattage to get them going....35w...little vapor....40w...fair vapor. It wasnt till i got it to 44/45w (still way short of its rated 80w) that i got what i considered a usable amount of vapor. My Lemo 2 could still surpass this using kanthal at 22w, but thats beside the point....

The rest of the day went by uneventfully

Day 2) 44w all day long, no drama

Day 3) 44w all day long, no drama

Day 4) After sitting all night with plenty of juice in the tank, and then primer puffed as i do every morning with my other tanks, my second toot of the day resulted in an evil burnt taste. I switched the mod off and pulled the tank apart and looked at the coil...burnt wire and wick at the top of the coil. This cant be put down to not being primed.

I looked around online to find people with the same issue, i.e. several days of no drama and then bam...

Next i switched in the 0.25 ohm SS coil, poked it with a pin as suggested by those similarly afflicted with issues and primed it well, primer puffed it and left it sit for an hour, vaped it at 40w (80w below its max rating)...okay....44/45w...yup thats just acceptable in the vapor stakes. Left it for hours. Picked it up, primer puffed it and ok, tried 50w (still 70w below its max rating) and damn, burnt evilness again. This time the burnt taste didnt permeate the tank completely and the coil and wick looked ok.

Sent Crown an email about the issue to try and figure out of it was a known issue

Posted in the uwell crown coil heads dry hit thread

Day 5) Woke up, puffer primed the tank, 44w...evil dry hit, burnt wire, burnt wick...coil dead. Didnt even last a full day this time.

Got a reply from Crown for my email the previous day, giving me the form letter approach, check you didn this, check you did that, despite me stating the steps i'd taken. Replied and debunked each item in turn. Especially the one where i was encouraged to just go out and buy a pack of replacement coils - AUD$17 a pop <- no garauntees i wouldnt egt some of the same dodgy coils doing this, so this wasnt an option

Day 6) Got a further reply from Crown, which i cant repost here due to forum rules, but which finally acknowledges there was an issue with the Crown coils, and that they had been resolved. But since they had no way of tracking their batches, there was no way to identify and recall those bad batches. I was offered a free set of replacement coils, if i paid the postage....

Meanwhile i get the RBA kit for AUD$13 - so far im into this tank for AUD$62 - $40 for the tank, AUD$13 for the RBA, and AUD$9 for the postage

I pay the postage for the replacement coil offer and retire for the night using my Lemo 2 because im pretty much needing a break from drama....

Day 7) I get up and decide to build the RBA. Ill shortcut this for you and tell you that after 6 different coils and 6 different wicks and 3 different wicking methods (the s shaped wicking was the least aggreious) all i got to show for it was a tongue, and mouth, full of either anaemic vapor or evil burnt taste. The SS coils especially just wouldnt do anything but burn. This was at 30w or lower.

Cancelled the paypal payment for the replacement coils and sent Crown another email detailing the issues id continued to have and to inform them id be shipping it all back to them tomorrow.

I had high hopes for this one. Now back to looking for another rebuildable tank, drama free....

Meanwhile the trusty Lemo 2 with a 0.14 nickel build in it on my Evic VTC Mini just chuggs away keeping me from going completely bonkers over this issue :)
I experienced similar with Ni200 coils, and switched to 0.5 SS after going 0 for 3 on the TC coils. My first 0.5 dry hit and burnt in 2-3 days. I had better luck since, with an inordinate amount of slow patient priming, but clearly they can not yet be relied on as a sole use tank.

I am glad to hear Crown admits the issues and is working to resolve, but how will we know which are the updated coils before we spend money?

My new Herakles is getting a lot of use in the mean time.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread