Why is 18 mg (18 mg of nicotine/mg of e liquid) the standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New2Smoking

Aug 6, 2013
Newark, NJ
I do well on 6mg and don't feel bad if I vape a lot at times...maybe you need a longer draw..

Maybe.

I also don't inhale. Do you?

And I don't blow the smoke out through my nose at all...that just feels weird to me.

So i just take about a 6 second draw, hold it in my mouth, and exhale.

I read on here that inhaling with e cigarettes is different as the particles aren't as small as in real cigarette smoke...so they won't get absorbed by the lungs as much, so a lung hit won't do as much with an e cigarette.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
One average draw from an e cigarette with 18 mg nicotine juice in it does not do too much to me (and I never even smoked much), and from what I've heard, for most users.
I smoked half a pack a day for 15 years. 12mg was too high as a starting point for me. Disposable NJoy Kings and Blus left me feeling like I had chemical burns. I vape 6mg or less, as I have from the beginning.

It really all depends on the person. I was a pack a day smoker and started with 24mg liquid. It was far to strong for me and just a few puffs would over nic me enough to make me dizzy. I quickly moved down to 18mg which worked well but I still found myself getting to much nic every once in a while. I am now happy with 12mg liquid, but am thinking of taking it down to 9mg to help lower my dependence. I cant even imagine what would happen if I had tried 30mg at the start.
Yep.

I also don't inhale. Do you?
Occasionally. More often I exhale through my nose. Never did that as a smoker because my sinuses would have rebelled, but I enjoy it as a vaper.

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
My very first ecig was at 12mg and it wasn't enough, I just craved more cigarettes so I upped my intake to 18mg which was perfect for me. I ended up using 24mg to curb the desire to light up which was very effective for me. Now I don't use 24mg at all and I'm sitting nicely at 18mg. I will lower myself to 12mg as soon as I feel i'm ready.

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
18mg nic is NOT the standard...depends on what analogs ya smoked..

click to make bigger

View attachment 259224
"36mg - INTENDED FOR DILUTING" ???????!!!!!:blink:
I only need a couple of hits of my Clove WOW juice to "start my engine".....but I wouldn't THINK of watering it down!!!!:cry:

AnotherGigs

Oct 3, 2013
Virginia, USA
The equipment matters too. 24mg out of a tight CE# might be pretty tame, 24mg out of a nice setup can feel like someone strangling you on the first hit in the morning.

The flavors and VG/PG ratio factor in as well. Some flavors/mixes feel fine on 24mg and some will taste pretty "nicked" on a high nic base. Think of it like mixed alcohol drinks. A super sweet mixed drink can take 20% alcohol and not be too harsh. Scotch and water at 20% alcohol will still pretty much taste like alcohol.

Continuing the analogy, 36mg is like hard liquor to me. Pretty heavy duty and too intense for most people in most cases. 24mg is like a fortified wine or a strong mixed drink, 18-20mg is like a regular wine, 8-12mg is like a beer, and 6mg is like light beer.

I'm not sure people should go by what they used to smoke necessarily. I used to smoke light cigarettes, but I find myself usually going from 18-24mg.

yourBuddy

Sep 29, 2013
Colorado
From what I've found, a "regular" strength analog cigarette delivers about 1mg of nicotine, so a full pack of cigarettes will deliver about 20mg of nic. The sources I have found state that 1 ml of e liquid will deliver about the same number of puffs as one pack of cigarettes, so 18mg/ml e liquid delivers about the same nic as a regular strength analog. At least that's how I understand it.

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
As the quality of the delivery device goes up, my nic level goes down........started at 24mg and am down to 12mg. (which I find strange, quitting Camel NF's and Drum RYO)
That's a really good point about meds, gums, and patches, you are at the mercy of BP: when you take it, how much you take it, what mg to take. When I vape on a juice and get a head rush, I KNOW, whoa, back off the nic!:ohmy:

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
It depends greatly on what you are using to vaporize your juice with. The nic content doesn't have much to do with the amount of vapor just the dosage of nicotine. The better the atomizer one uses, the more efficient the delivery of the nic content and the bigger the clouds of vape produced. As I progressed in my choice of atomizers I've had to cut my nic level. When using a protank, 24mg nic was fine, but when I stepped up to the Russian rba, I had to cut down to 18mg nic, Now that I'm using the Nano Dragon Coil build, I've had to drop down to 12mg nic and thinking of cutting it some more. Some times the nic delivered on my setup still knocks me for a loop. lol. I smoked for 27 years, a pack+ a day, camel filters. And there is no way a camel can deliver nicotine as well as my atty can.

KC33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA
I can only speculate, but I think some people see 18mg as the standard because it represents the median nic level across the potency spectrum being offered by vendors. I know of no vendor selling liquid with a nic content greater than 36mg and of course, you can't get weaker than 0mg.

In reality, the "standard" lies in what works for you. Meaning, there ain't no standard. ;)

Totally agree and that was my experience when I first chose a strength.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
II am now happy with 12mg liquid, but am thinking of taking it down to 9mg to help lower my dependence. I cant even imagine what would happen if I had tried 30mg at the start.

I just lowered from 12mg to 9mg.

I never started w/24mg. I think the worst way to start off a new vaper is to "over-nic" them, I did that once and the person didn't feel well. They needed about 12mg to start, maybe even 6mg since they smoked ultra lights but forgot to tell me this. :)

I started at 18mg and thanks to a helpful PM, a veteran told me i needed about 14mg as they actually took the time to analyze my previous smoking habits........and they were right!

I spent the first month on 18mg mistakenly, as that is what was told to me as a newbie, and I was anxious, on edge, and jumpy, and overall, very very tired.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
I started at 36MG juice....for 2 weeks until I knew I wouldnt smoke, It worked.

weeks 2-4 I used the 38MG in the morning and during extreme cravings....switched to 18mg for daylight hours and 12mg at night
weeks 5-7 24mg mornings and cravings 12mg daylight hours and 6mg at night
weeks 8-9 18mg mornings and cravings(almost gone) 8mg daylight hours 3mg nights
week 10-11 12mg mornings 8mg days and 3mg nights (I am here now)

we shall see from there.
I would like to get to 6mg from wake up to night and 3 mg for nights and stay there for a few months before any more reductions.
I seem to need more nic in the mornings...less during the day and even less at night, It would be good to have 1 strength to use all times but that does not seem to work for me......yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread