Why is Ejuice so Expensive$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I'd give you a +1 for this post, but I have to take 1/2 of it away for the first bolded paragraph.and 1/4 for the second...
But to mention McD in the same breath as any ejuice company, even one like Dakang, is just plain silly.

So I get +0.25, I'm still up.

Same breath? That's why it was in a different paragraph. As an aside, an example if you will, of a company that everyone is familiar with. I could have used an example from a commercial clothing cleaning firm, but how many folks are familiar with them?

I do not see where I compared juice vendors with McD's. It was an example of raw material cost to finished product price.

Then I gave a rough sketch of a small business owner trying to make a living, but you gave me examples of multi-million dollar international corporations? Huh?

Then you imply that I am a "little person" because I followed the law, or didn't have the resources to jump through all the hoops to make owning a business more enjoyable?

Hey, thanks a bunch for agreeing with me there chief. I think I would rather you disagree with me if that is what I get for agreement.

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
I don't think he was taking a jab at your hard work Hoosier, he's just dissatisfied with the state of affairs with our government and capitalism in general. McDonald's functions much like a drug dealing hierarchy where the people near the top of the pyramid make a lot of money doing very little and the people doing the legwork make very little money (and consumers are addicted to a deadly product). I would like it if sailorman provided a better comparison option, maybe something like Wrigley.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
But Hoosier, think about it. We ARE FAMILY!! (of sorts) in the DIY thread.
C'mon, give it up.

A J

Heh, close. The cheeseball is what I give to family & friends for Christmas, but never again the recipe, same for the fudge. The Slick'ems are my sister's.

Our grandmother passed these things to us. Heck, she taught me everything about cooking and juice making. She didn't know about juice of course, but the same things she taught me still apply.

The real reason that some recipes cannot be given out is that they are more than a collection of ingredients, but also a method. If the method isn't followed exactly the end result is nothing like it should be.

When I was younger and what my grandma taught me hadn't fully sunk in, I gave out the recipe for the cheeseball. The people I gave it to did not do it correctly and became upset with me for giving them false information. That was a valuable lesson.

I also know exactly what goes into my sister's Slick'ems, but also know I have little chance of making those delicious little buggers because she was taught the method. The same process that my mother was taught, but even my mother cannot make them correctly.

Some things are just special.

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
I had that same thought - dropped about 150 on supplies... and started to make my own... I was terrible... At first, I made an orange/cinnamon that was decent... and then a cappuccino that was passable... but all my tobacco efforts were poor... I had flavourart, Loranns and PA...
So, maybe I'll try again... but not anytime soon.

I simply cannot make juice that good...

I am sure it takes practice, but...

Congrats to you if you are making tasty juices.

ajfromCT

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2010
CT
Heh, close. The cheeseball is what I give to family & friends for Christmas, but never again the recipe, same for the fudge. The Slick'ems are my sister's.

Our grandmother passed these things to us. Heck, she taught me everything about cooking and juice making. She didn't know about juice of course, but the same things she taught me still apply.

The real reason that some recipes cannot be given out is that they are more than a collection of ingredients, but also a method. If the method isn't followed exactly the end result is nothing like it should be.

When I was younger and what my grandma taught me hadn't fully sunk in, I gave out the recipe for the cheeseball. The people I gave it to did not do it correctly and became upset with me for giving them false information. That was a valuable lesson.

I also know exactly what goes into my sister's Slick'ems, but also know I have little chance of making those delicious little buggers because she was taught the method. The same process that my mother was taught, but even my mother cannot make them correctly.

Some things are just special.

Amen. You get an A+ for honesty and an extremely well thought out response!

A J

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana

I come from a long line of proud home chefs and we handle the cooking for get togethers after witnessing too many fouled up chicken n' dumplins!

Ya' know... I think juice mixing is a lot like chicken 'n dumplins. Those who can make them from scratch have a wonderful result. They use simple components and some folks use a special tool, but not all do. It looks easy, but that is looks. Shortcuts can ruin the whole batch even if they seem logical. Just because an ingredient sounds the same does not mean it will actually work.

Buying them premade is OK, but your own is fantastic. Nobody who makes their own really gets hung up on the costs, but those who buy them premade compare cost to quality.

I think you nailed a great comparison. Juice is like chicken 'n dumplins.

Now, are PV's like mashed potatoes?

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Ya' know... I think juice mixing is a lot like chicken 'n dumplins. Those who can make them from scratch have a wonderful result. They use simple components and some folks use a special tool, but not all do. It looks easy, but that is looks. Shortcuts can ruin the whole batch even if they seem logical. Just because an ingredient sounds the same does not mean it will actually work.

Buying them premade is OK, but your own is fantastic. Nobody who makes their own really gets hung up on the costs, but those who buy them premade compare cost to quality.

I think you nailed a great comparison. Juice is like chicken 'n dumplins.

Now, are PV's like mashed potatoes?

my gf has her granny's recipe for pound cake. She's given it out to tons of folks...it never works. She's even shown them the method and exact order to add the ingredients..they still can't reproduce it. My gf's secret? She has granny's pan....LOL!
LOL

I am a cook so know exactly where you guys are coming from. My sister asked me recently for my spaghetti sauce recipe. Once I told her what was involved, she stated too much work. There are no short cuts :)

CtryBoy

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Texas
Just be glad we can still order online. Local shops here want $20 for 15ml of 24mg occasionally on sale for $14.99. Was quite a shock compared to online pricing and well above DIY unflavored (still waiting for the glorious day my taste buds return). Then again if your not careful online shipping and change your price/ml quickly.

$20.00 bottle 1.33/ml doesnt sound too bad but .25/ml is only $3.75 for same 15 ml bottle seems like they are getting charged way to much from their supplier or they are trying to pay their startup costs with juice. Much the same way that nice lady at the drive thru is always asking if you want a drink or fries with that order.

Primarily seems like any other thing we 'consume'. If you're not paying attention then wont notice things like slightly higher price for half the size bottle. Talk about taking it both ways. And when it comes right down to it, if you want it sitting on the shelf waiting for you to stop by, that's what it's gonna cost ya. If you want a mini mad scientist workshop on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator.........well guess you're in the right forum.

RooD

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2010
St. Jospeh, MI
I love making my own liquid... I am mildly sensitive to PG and there for only use VG and it is hard to find juice... I also vape 5-12 mls a day... It was getting too expensive to buy from vendors I have my juice down to 10cents an ml average (I do strong, mild, low nic mixes, along with diff amounts of flavoring) I have yet to go through a single bottle of flavor most are 10ml and have 12 of them... Me and my dad have vaped through 1.75 liters... that would be out of my price range... and we sell some to friends on the side to recoup a little money and they get really cheap juice

ddavelarsen

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
www.dave-larsen.com
I'm with Hoosier on this one; we have a lot of free overhead mixing juice that doesn't get included in the .25/ml cost calculation. We might be able to get our direct costs down to that, but the cost of the money I have tied up in supplies is itself a noticeable amount. I probably will never break even because I keep adding to my flavor inventory and equipment.

For a while I considered mixing and selling e-liquid but when I started adding up all the costs it suddently didn't seem like that profitable a venture. Not to do it right, anyway. Insurance alone would have broken my little bank. I had an idea for an ingredient mixing station that would have been slick, but development quickly got too expensive. No, selling liquid is not as cheap as it looks. Business is not a cakewalk.

Steamin' E.

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
Mexico
This would be around $6-8 for 30ml's of juice, yet I see everyone selling juice from anywhere from $15-$25 per 30ml's.
Whoa, now. Everyone is selling juice from $15-$25 per 30mL?

What about the most popular juice vendor here on ECF?

If you feel like $6-$8 is a fair price, and you enjoy gourmet, American-made juices, just stop by either tastyvapor.us or vaporrenu.com.

Tastyvapor can even be cheaper than $6/30mL...

I can't believe nobody brought this up.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Whoa, now. Everyone is selling juice from $15-$25 per 30mL?

What about the most popular juice vendor here on ECF?

If you feel like $6-$8 is a fair price, and you enjoy gourmet, American-made juices, just stop by either tastyvapor.us or vaporrenu.com.

Tastyvapor can even be cheaper than $6/30mL...

I can't believe nobody brought this up.
Price doesn't matter if you don't like the liquids from supplier X or Y.

I love making my own liquid... I am mildly sensitive to PG and there for only use VG and it is hard to find juice... I also vape 5-12 mls a day... It was getting too expensive to buy from vendors I have my juice down to 10cents an ml average (I do strong, mild, low nic mixes, along with diff amounts of flavoring) I have yet to go through a single bottle of flavor most are 10ml and have 12 of them... Me and my dad have vaped through 1.75 liters... that would be out of my price range... and we sell some to friends on the side to recoup a little money and they get really cheap juice

5-12mls a day??? i find that hard to believe.:blink:

Even on my heaviest day, I couldnt come anywhere close to 12mls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread