Why is squonking so popular all of the sudden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I am new to all things BF or squonking but can't help but notice that almost every manufacturer is jumping on the squonking bandwagon.... eleaf, Kanger, ECigar, Geek vape, etc.

Just curious as to why the almost overnight focus on BF devices? When/why did it go from niche to mainstream?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Because it's awesome.

Instead of trying to get a tank to mimic the flavor and vapor of an RDA, and still having to worry about wicking, you just use an RDA and have a freshly juiced coil whenever you want, at the squonk of a bottle.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Performance of a dripper convenience of a tank?? answer squonk box and you favorite dripper

Fwiw squonker are not even new.... it's just taken this long for mod advancement to make them usable for new vapers.
Until recently squonking was for tootle puffers only.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Pure speculation but I think Chinese manufacturers ignored the niche US and European made bottom feeders until the cheap Chinese smokeless owl mod came out and sold a ton. Steam Crave and Geysecano (?) Came out with regulated squonkers but both had poor performance and expensive for Chinese mods. Kanger takes notice and the rest is history...

I have a Smokeless owl (collecting dust) and a Dripbox 160 which is heavily used! I am very happy with squonking going mainstream and look forward to the Gbox S100 and the Dripbox 2.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Performance of a dripper convenience of a tank?? answer squonk box and you favorite dripper

Fwiw squonker are not even new.... it's just taken this long for mod advancement to make them usable for new vapers.
Until recently squonking was for tootle puffers only.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
modwompers have been happily squonking for years too.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
It's been mainstream with me for the last 5 years and popular with US and Europe makers for a long time: Sunbox, Vmod, Reo etc. The reason is you get the flavor and performance of dripping without the hassle.

A probable reason China finally noticed is temp control. Before temp control drippers and squonkers were advanced users due to potential dry hits if the wick wasn't kept wet. Now with temp control a first time vapor can do it without fear of experiencing dry or burnt hints, when the flavor and vapor start to drop of just squeeze. Also bottom feeder pins are now easily found, we can convert most any of our fav rda to a squonker in seconds. In the past very few were available and if you wanted to convert your own you had to have the tools to diy.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Squonkers with a screen and buttons?!? Please! A Reo is the one and only!
e4e001a9-4680-4747-93bb-3881721f6e18.jpg

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
Squonkers with a screen and buttons?!? Please! A Reo is the one and only!

I love my Reo, I use mine all day every day, but you have to be prepared to do your homework and tinker to get the best out of them, or any other mech squonker. Once you have your build sorted they are brilliant but many people just will not put the effort in to start with. Until recently the price of a regulated squonker was just too high. I always worry about getting juice on the PCB, a small leak on a mech is no issue, a quick wash and carry on vaping. A small leak on a regulated squonker can mean the end of the line. $40-50 I could afford to loose. $100+ is a different story altogether.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... When/why did it go from niche to mainstream?

JMO...

I believe that the Kanger DripBox 60w is Responsible for the Rebirth of Squonking.

I think many people (like myself) didn't see Squonking as something they wanted to Try because the Sqounk Mods were Expensive. And BF RDA's were something that needed more to be Made than just Purchased.

The DripBox Changed that. Because for about 35 Bucks, you got a Complete Kit.

And if you didn't like it, you weren't out an Arm and a Leg. So many people Tried it. And many people (like myself) saw what they had been Missing.

Last edited:

Hendog24

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2016
Washington, DC
JMO...

I believe that the Kanger DripBox 60w is Responsible for the Rebirth of Squonking.

I think many people (like myself) didn't see Squonking as something they wanted to Try because the Sqounk Mods were Expensive. And BF RDA's were something that needed more to be Made than just Purchased.

The DripBox Changed that. Because for about 35 Bucks, you got a Complete Kit.

And if you didn't like it, you weren't out an Arm and a Leg. So many people Tried it. And many people (like myself) saw what they had been Missing.
Bingo.

I was not about to buy a $200 squonk mod but when I saw the Dripbox 60 for $28 I said, why not.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I agree with the theory, but I really think the Dripbox may have been the "breakthrough" device...
Quickly moved to regulated, but the IDEA of a Kanger, and that cheap, and relatively well-reviewed - that, I think was the beginning of squonking going mainstream.

It's still growing - look on Fasttech, and when a new dripper is rolled out, someone ALWAYS asks - "is there a bf pin?"....

Pure speculation but I think Chinese manufacturers ignored the niche US and European made bottom feeders until the cheap Chinese smokeless owl mod came out and sold a ton. Steam Crave and Geysecano (?) Came out with regulated squonkers but both had poor performance and expensive for Chinese mods. Kanger takes notice and the rest is history...

I have a Smokeless owl (collecting dust) and a Dripbox 160 which is heavily used! I am very happy with squonking going mainstream and look forward to the Gbox S100 and the Dripbox 2.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Rebirth??? Squonking never died!!! The Reo has been going strong since 05/26/2010 Original Wood REO
Picture019.jpg

Yeah... REO's have been around about the Entire time I have been a member here. And have Always had a Loyal following. But I think Squonking went "Prime Time" when Kanger unleashed the DripBox on the Masses.

The Timing of it's release Couldn't have been better. It came kinda at the Peek of the Pre 8-8-16 Buying Frenzy.

And like Hendog24 said, many weren't going to spend 2 Bills on a Squonk Mod/BF RDA. But for 30 Bucks? From a Leading Name? With some Built In Protection? And sold at Websites that people knew and have done Business with before?

It was a Perfect Storm.

Genesis%252B-%252BA%252BTrick%252BOf%252BThe%252BTail%252B%2525282007%252BRemaster%252529%252B-%252BBACK.jpg

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I think the advent of the 2 post velocity deck style RDA, has helped.
    It's a no brainer to replace the solid 510 screw with a vented one.
    Now we just need to train the Chinese, we want as large a squonk hole as possible, and flush with the deck.
    I also think my REOs will be functional, long after my Dripboxes are in the landfill.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
    Nov 21, 2014
    Duck River Tasmania
    www.facebook.com
    I tried Squonking for the first time with a Kangartech 60w drip box. I found the RBA .... and soon put a Tsunami 24 on it. Then I progressed to the Kangartech 160 W TC and the tank was even worse with their decks and coils and even with the filter fitted I kept getting hot juice in my mouth. The Tsunami 24 went on that one too.

Why I like squonking in with a 10 ml tank less time messing around with refill. Its a dripper without having to physically drip.

Moving towards a tobacco free World!

ckquatt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 8, 2013
    Milledgeville, GA
    This is a VERY Good point.

Still though! There were slotted 510's (for bottom feeding) LONG before that!

IMHO all these "squonk boxes" that are out now and responsible for the so called "rebirth" of squonking (which is a ridiculous phrase in and of itself) is a bunch of crap!

Squonking never died! The Reo is a niche device. Expensive and not for everyone. The people that have one or several know what true squonking is! Then everyone wanted to come out with their own version! (They all pale in comparison BTW!)

Reo is life!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread