Why is squonking so popular all of the sudden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubseven

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
New York
Why Squonking? It's just so easy and efficient and a great way to hit the road. I am a Reo user from way back, when their were not a lot of choices. Now the choices are plentiful. I suggest try any squonker, Kangers are relatively cheap and find out for yourself why squonking is taking off. Just remember, you usually get what you pay for.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I was not about to buy a $200 squonk mod...

The Reo is a niche device. Expensive and not for everyone.
I was the same way. When I started vaping a few years ago, it seemed you were either in the Provari niche or the Reo niche. I chose the Provari because I wasn't rebuilding at the time. I'd always wanted to try a Reo, but wasn't about to spend another $200 on a mod after already paying that much on a Provari.

I did purchase a V-Mod to try a bottom feeder. They were less expensive than a Reo, but still pretty pricey. If you got on their mailing list, they often had a 50% off sale, so you could buy one for about $60 when discounted. The V-mod had its quirks - you had to use disposable & proprietary cartos or drip atomizers with it. It wasn't the best quality of builds, either. However, it did give me a "taste" and feel for bottom feeders.

A good friend here on ECF pay-it-forwarded me a gently used Reo, and another good friend pay-it-forwarded me a Velocity-style Reomizer this past summer. I've given the combo an honest try, but I don't find the Reo a comfortable mod to use in my hand ergonomically, and the fire button is rather uncomfortable to use. I'm grateful that I have the combo as a great backup setup, though.

full

My V-Mod bottom feeder mech

A bottom-feeding mech is a great idea for the post-FDA deeming, IMHO. The theory of "the flavor of dripping with the convenience of a tank" makes sense.

Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I was the same way. When I started vaping a few years ago, it seemed you were either on the Provari niche or the Reo niche. I chose the Provari because I wasn't rebuilding at the time. I'd always wanted to try a Reo, but wasn't about to spend another $200 on a mod after already paying that on a Provari.

I did purchase a V-Mod to try a bottom feeder. They were less expensive than a Reo, but still pretty pricey. If you got on their mailing list, they often had a 50% off sale, so you could buy one for about $60 when discounted. The V-mod had its quirks - you had to use disposable & proprietary cartos or drip atomizers with it. It wasn't the best quality of builds, either. However, it did give me a "taste" for bottom feeders.

A good friend here on ECF pay-it-forwarded me a gently used Reo, and another good friend pay-it-forwarded me a Velocity-style Reomizer this past summer. I've given the combo an honest try, but I don't find the Reo a comfortable mod to use in my hand ergonomically, and the fire button is rather uncomfortable to use. I'm grateful that I have the combo as a great backup setup, though.

full

My V-Mod bottom feeder mech

A bottom-feeding mech is a great idea for the post-FDA deeming, IMHO. The theory of "the flavor of dripping with the convenience of a tank" makes sense.
Funny! I'd honestly forgotten all about my V-mod mini! That's pretty sad isn't it? Here I've been thinking about buying a Coppervape when all I need is a couple Io6 atties!
I also have the Dripbox, it's a love hate thing. Love the size, love where the fire button is, HATE the stock atty, hate the stupid magnet s on the bottom (I do a lot of welding, grinding, drilling, etc.) and I hate that I just don't trust it! My istick 200 and Pico have been beat to Hell! But I'm afraid I'll never find all the pieces if I drop the Dripbox, I'm afraid the board will go wonky from juice leaking, and so on. I've got a bran new, still in the box, Velocity mini that I bought for it, 6mos ago? I like it, I really do, I just don't trust it!
Same with a REO, buddy has a few, I've handled them, used them, I don't like the door! I'm always trying to slide it off, it just doesn't suit me so I'll never buy one unless they change the design.
But like it or not, these new, affordable, bottom feeders, that you can actually find, are the reason for the new surge in popularity.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Pico Squeeze came in yesterday. Working just fine. Only flaw with the manufacturing on my particular unit is the 510 threading, which is sloppy and rough though functional. Will probably keep the Origen Little paired with it and spare those threads a lot of atty changes. For $18, I'm not complaining. Besides that, a couple of notes:

-The bottle is not interchangeable with Dripbox. Same style, which I like, but shorter with softer plastic. Mod only does not come with a spare bottle.
-The white LED above the USB port monitors battery level, but it's too bright and persists after each firing. I will be plugging up that little hole.
-Tiny and light? Um, yeah. Compared here to Dripbox 60 and Coppervape. Same weight as Dripbox; 2 oz. lighter than Coppervape.

IMAG2132_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
Still though! There were slotted 510's (for bottom feeding) LONG before that!

IMHO all these "squonk boxes" that are out now and responsible for the so called "rebirth" of squonking (which is a ridiculous phrase in and of itself) is a bunch of crap!

Squonking never died! The Reo is a niche device. Expensive and not for everyone. The people that have one or several know what true squonking is! Then everyone wanted to come out with their own version! (They all pale in comparison BTW!)

Reo is life!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Rofl about the signiture file, Yes the Comodore 64 was a great machine well before its time, I still have mine.....Now back on topic, I really enjoy squonking and have ordered an interesting little squonker from FastTech. The sad part is that not many vendors in my country have them and being on a low income I cannot afford to buy them from overseas. What I enjoy about squonking is that you do not have to mess with drippers and the 10ml bottle on my Kangartech 160W er is fantastic for a chain vaper like me. I married it up with a Tsunami 24 and it is absolutly Purrrrrr fect. :rickroll:

Reactions: TheWestPole

Ed66

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2016
Rayland, Ohio
Rofl about the signiture file, Yes the Comodore 64 was a great machine well before its time, I still have mine.....Now back on topic, I really enjoy squonking and have ordered an interesting little squonker from FastTech. The sad part is that not many vendors in my country have them and being on a low income I cannot afford to buy them from overseas. What I enjoy about squonking is that you do not have to mess with drippers and the 10ml bottle on my Kangartech 160W er is fantastic for a chain vaper like me. I married it up with a Tsunami 24 and it is absolutly Purrrrrr fect. :rickroll:

Same setup I am using, I have it built in single coil mode, flavor is great and nice clouds as well.

Reactions: Acer50

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
There is nothing appealing or elitist about squonking. I pay for a staff member to refill my RBA before it empties or else the position opens immediately for better talent.

That's how we elitists vape. Carry on now rabble.
So Snoop employs a full time "roller", Dennis Rodman used to travel with a personal bartender and you have a personal vape attendant. Nicely done. ;)

I wish the only stress I had at work was making sure some rich vaper never ran out of juice or had a dry hit! :)

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
But like it or not, these new, affordable, bottom feeders, that you can actually find, are the reason for the new surge in popularity.
Amen to that.
And now there are at least a dozen atty's on FT that come with a BF pin at no additional cost. No need to cut slots in screws or modify vented screws that cost more with shipping than the atty itself, with tools that cost more than the mod and atty combined.

Joy!

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
So Snoop employs a full time "roller", Dennis Rodman used to travel with a personal bartender and you have a personal vape attendant. Nicely done. ;)

I wish the only stress I had at work was making sure some rich vaper never ran out of juice or had a dry hit! :)

I might have been exaggerating a bit, lol

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I am new to all things BF or squonking but can't help but notice that almost every manufacturer is jumping on the squonking bandwagon.... eLeaf, Kanger, ECigar, Geek Vape, etc.

Just curious as to why the almost overnight focus on BF devices? When/why did it go from niche to mainstream?
for me it was because the nebox was / is such a lame duck.. it hold 10mls,, but only works sometimes or makes you hassle with leaks....... i noticed some of the squonks had higher volume than tanks... so i am giving the pico squeeze a try.===had the nebox not been such a pita,, i would have bought a couple more.

Reactions: BreSha6869

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I'm really a "tank" kinda guy. I have more than I can count. Oddly I have everything from STM, Lemo2, TFV4, Nautilus in my current rotation along with a few EVOD's and Areotanks.

Why "Squonk"? I was looking for something different. The tanks need daily refill and normal RDA's were out of the question so I figured why not try it.

So now the inbuilt bottle will vastly outlast the battery I have and is easier to refill than a tank. As long as I vape the wick/deck dry the odds of leaks are minimal to nonexistent.

I'm not a complete convert however it IS something different. Thankfully some companies have stepped forward to make it affordable enough to try on a whim.

Reactions: Copterstyle

cheeseofvapes

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    there are SO many squonk options now its crazy! compared to 2 years ago there were a few atties that came with a bf pin or at least had it available separately. "cheap" squonks were very scarce. a good squonk was at least +200! and they werent cheap! also past squonk stuff was generally MTL or very very restricted lung hit. now you can have a 22mm rda and chuck the clouds on a reg or unreg squonker. i like choices :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread