Why is WTA such a controversial subject?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Brown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Albuquerque
Yeah, all I would do is point him in the direction of the more informative posts and let him him science it up. I have no experience at all with chemistry so I would not be in the lab at all. I mean that is if the guy would even be interested and have time to do anything like that. It is just an idea right now.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Yeah, all I would do is point him in the direction of the more informative posts and let him him science it up. I have no experience at all with chemistry so I would not be in the lab at all. I mean that is if the guy would even be interested and have time to do anything like that. It is just an idea right now.

Your friend would have to be committed, but hey, if he can do it, do it up.

Dustin Brown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Albuquerque
So, even if he could without a doubt get it to say, 50mg nic, wouldn't that put the alkaloids at the 5% mark? If it is a natural spread extraction. Would that still be too dangerous to deal with? This is all hypothetical of course. I'm just curious to why the immediate concern. If it is definitely a bad idea I can forget about it.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
So, even if he could without a doubt get it to say, 50mg nic, wouldn't that put the alkaloids at the 5% mark? If it is a natural spread extraction. Would that still be too dangerous to deal with? This is all hypothetical of course. I'm just curious to why the immediate concern. If it is definitely a bad idea I can forget about it.
:) You really don't start at like 50mg anything...you start at as pure as pure can be. Scary as hell. I wouldn't touch it.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place

It's 5% no matter the strength (unless separate nicotine is added in). The minor alkaloids would be 5% (an approximation) whether it's pure, 50 mg, 25 mg, or 5 mg. WTA is 95% nic and 5% minor alkaloids (roughly).

Dustin Brown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Albuquerque
Oh okay. I gotcha now. Yeah, IF he could do it, was willing to do it and we could get it to a pure level, I would just have him dilute it to a workable level while he was in his lab with all the safety gear. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near anything like that. I may have some crazy ideas but I'm not as stupid as I used to be. And because I lived through some pretty stupid things, I feel like I am more cautious now.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Right, so if he could get the nic to 100mg per ml that would be a workable amount with comparable risks to regular 100mg nic? Or do you think it would be more dangerous because of the other alkaloids?

From the person that first made it, "One needs to be careful with this stuff. Undiluted, as pictured here, it could kill a full-grown person perhaps 8 times over, not a sport for amateurs:"

Is that the same as pure nicotine? I dunno, but I ain't messin' with either. :laugh:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Thank you.

Noooooo problemo. Like snork said, there is a ton of info here on ECF. That link to Dvap's blog is not only a great place to begin, you can get virtually everything you need to know there. If you require the super-duper technical stuff, I can send those some other time.

Brobdingnagian

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Rustica is also a known producer of TSNAs (Tobacco-specific nitrosamines). This means that you'll be extracting the cancer-causing aspect (which are also 'WTA'; ie; N-nitrosonornicotine, 4-methyl-N-nitrosamino-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone, N-nitrosoanatabine, & N-nitrosoanabasine) of this tobacco alongside the desired alkaloids.

It's 5% no matter the strength (unless separate nicotine is added in). The minor alkaloids would be 5% (an approximation) whether it's pure, 50 mg, 25 mg, or 5 mg. WTA is 95% nic and 5% minor alkaloids (roughly).

From what (little) I know (and in agreement with snork), alkaloid content may vary by strain of tobacco. This is why it's so important to research the specific tobacco one plans to use in such an extraction. That said, at least it's not the pyrolysis byproduct of nicotine, which is rather carcinogenic in and of itself.

Akin to WTA content, TSNA content can vary just as wildly depending on whether you're looking at a producer or non-producer (tobacco strain) of TSNAs.

Just make sure to research the certain type of tobacco you're using, make sure it isn't a known producer of TSNAs, or you're going to concentrate the harmful ones alongside the desired ones.

I advise everyone considering contracting someone to do such lab work to do the same.

Suffice it to say that research is required in this endeavor.

That's all for now!

Dustin Brown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Albuquerque
Rustica is also a known producer of TSNAs (Tobacco-specific nitrosamines). This means that you'll be extracting the cancer-causing aspect (which are also 'WTA'; ie; N-nitrosonornicotine, 4-methyl-N-nitrosamino-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone, N-nitrosoanatabine, & N-nitrosoanabasine) of this tobacco alongside the desired alkaloids.

From what (little) I know (and in agreement with snork), alkaloid content may vary by strain of tobacco. This is why it's so important to research the specific tobacco one plans to use in such an extraction. That said, at least it's not the pyrolysis byproduct of nicotine, which is rather carcinogenic in and of itself.

Akin to WTA content, TSNA content can vary just as wildly depending on whether you're looking at a producer or non-producer (tobacco strain) of TSNAs.

Just make sure to research the certain type of tobacco you're using, make sure it isn't a known producer of TSNAs, or you're going to concentrate the harmful ones alongside the desired ones.

I advise everyone considering contracting someone to do such lab work to do the same.

That's all for now!

These are good points. I haven't even actually talked to the chemist about any of this. When I do, I will hopefully have plenty of good info for him to take a look at and then wave his science wand and poof! WTA! Just kidding, but I will definitely look into strains of tobacco and their alkaloid content vs the nitrosamine content.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO

That's all for now!
Thanks! This is what I have been told, but was always lost on me until I see it in print!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread