Why Target Vaping. Why Not Diet Soda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewAz

Apr 2, 2015
Great American Southwest
Did you know that diet soda can cause Type 2 diabetes, seizures, loss of kidney function, various cancers, and most ironically of all, obesity? Did you know that the fake sugars in diet soda can change the friendly bacteria living in the gut in ways that would increase susceptibility to the insulin resistance and glucose intolerance that precedes a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes? Did you know that artificial sweeteners in diet soda such as aspartame and sucralose were to blame for the rapid degeneration of kidney filtration rates? Did you know that one of the components of aspartame is wood alcohol, an extremely poisonous chemical used in paint remover? Did you know that Sucralose, marked as Splenda, has a similar profile of damage as aspartame, including severe chronic illness, central nervous system disorders, migraines, reduced immunity, and various cancers? Did you know that you can read the entire article at Natural Society...just put those two words into your favorite search engine.

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
There isn't as much money in keeping people healthy. But there is money in fixing us back up. I know in the US, most of our politicians or their families have millions invested in the healthcare industry. Left and right, just opposite sides of the same counterfeit coin. And shaking hands on the far side where we can't see it. Hooked on the almighty dollar...

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I don't see any real difference between outlawing diet soda or vaping, both initially created for harm reduction. Either ban would be obvious overreaches of government authority unless done on the basis of the strongest scientific evidence, otherwise interfering with personal choice and freedom, and unnecessary if voluntary solutions are available. People have a right to do and choose as they want. Information should be provided rather than suppressed.

Reactions: jpargana

Racehorse

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    Did you know that Sucralose, marked as Splenda, has a similar profile of damage as aspartame, including severe chronic illness, central nervous system disorders, migraines, reduced immunity, and various cancers?

Hope not, since probably 75% of all the ejuice out there is sweetened with Splenda.

Reactions: Cullin Kin

Racehorse

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    There isn't as much money in keeping people healthy. But there is money in fixing us back up.

I don't drink diet soda or eat any processed food. Cook from scratch, etc.

People tell me they "don't want to live like that" -------that's fine with me. I just think processed food and diet soda taste like what they are......chemicals. :lol: I really never ate that stuff, even before they found out it's not healthy, because it tastes like crap to me .

But we have food labels to tell you what is in them. One of the arguments over ejuice was that consumers would like to know what is "in there." Always seemed like a reasonable request to me.

SomeTexan

Moved On
    Jun 1, 2015
    I don't drink diet soda or eat any processed food. Cook from scratch, etc.

People tell me they "don't want to live like that" -------that's fine with me. I just think processed food and diet soda taste like what they are......chemicals. :lol: I really never ate that stuff, even before they found out it's not healthy, because it tastes like crap to me .

But we have food labels to tell you what is in them. One of the arguments over ejuice was that consumers would like to know what is "in there." Always seemed like a reasonable request to me.

I'm the same way, when I have time to cook from scratch that is. Processed food is weird tasting. Maybe it's because I grew up on a self supporting ranch? Not much came from the grocery store...

I'm with you there, I wish there were accurate labels on juice. But, most of them buy their flavoring from someone else that doesn't always provide a good/accurate breakdown of of ingredients. I just don't think we will get that info until they make is all in-house.

SomeTexan

Moved On
    Jun 1, 2015
    Who says soda hasn't been and isn't being targeted? Not sure what it has to do with vaping, however...
    Did they make it illegal to sell to minors? Diet soda's sugar substitute is is probably worse for you than smoking. Splenda did a number on my girlfriend's dad. Aside from blood sugar issues (he is diabetic) real sugar wasn't really hurting him. Doctor demanded they use Splenda instead and the feces hit the fan. Organs trying to fail, blood sugar is even worse, a whole list of stuff. The stupid Dr. still recommends Splenda even with all the proof that it is horrible for you. They are suing him, but unfortunately if they win, it's his insurance that will pay, not the Dr. himself.

But they would rather pick on vapers than a real, proven health risk. We are costing them Tobacco tax money, and that must be stopped...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    My point: why is vaping being targeted while thousands of other products that are KNOWN to pose health risks getting a pass? It's hypocritical. The war against smoking and vaping is and never was about health.

Welcome to the World as we Know It.

BTW - Your mention of Splenda (which is about 5% Sucralose) and Sucralose is Very Pertinent. And I kinda Cringe sometimes when I hear people Saying that they Love some Sweet e-Liquid vaped at some Mega Wattage.

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin

Show me the diet soda label that tells the consumer how much of each ingredient is in there. Cause I can show you an eLiquid label that lists ingredients. So that reasonable request you note is, in at least some cases, covered in the world of ejuice.

spacekitty

Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 3, 2010
    SoCal, USA
    For that matter, why not target CAFFEINE??? :shock:

Make the age limit 18 to purchase any products containing that addictive substance... and add it to their "Save the Children" campaign!!

Watch out Starbucks, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, et al... the ANTZ are coming to get you... LOL!! :pervy:

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    My point: why is vaping being targeted while thousands of other products that are KNOWN to pose health risks getting a pass? It's hypocritical. The war against smoking and vaping is and never was about health.

Agree on the hypocrisy. It's very obvious this is occurring.

But thing is, if the war on vaping was well in control (by the nanny statists), the war on soda/sugary foods would be more pronounced. I don't think in their version of a "perfect world" they would ever stop targeting things that people enjoy and which are not 100% harmless.

For them, I think it is partially based on a highly distorted version of what makes for healthy. Just need more public money for research, a megaphone, and ability to control the ways and means of production, and these (cough cough) public health advocates are good to go.

Reactions: catlady60
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread