Status
Not open for further replies.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
I own a bunch of different PV's including a Provari, but my Twists are the PVs I use most of the time. They are light, easy to hold, produce a lot of vapor, and with a Stardust, they are my go-to PV. I recommend them more often than any other PV to potential vapers.

I have three VMax's (I got three of the original "defective" ones before they stopped making them; I like the fact that they "go up to 11" (see: "This is Spinal Tap"). They all sit, as they have since I got my first Twist about four months ago (I have about ten of them). I've owned three Vivi Novas; one is lost forever, one is misplaced, and I know where the other is (about five miles away). Right now I'm rocking a Boge in a Smoktech DCT; couldn't tell you if it's a 2.0 or 3.0 ohm single coil; don't care.

I love not messing with menus to turn the voltage up or down; just "twist" the knob. Even I can handle that. I'll be getting some Vision Spinners soon, and some kGo VV's. The Spinners for the fatness/longer battery life and knurled knob, and the kGo for the cool readout.

Oh .. and I'm down to some real schwag menthol "NPort" 24mg. Delightfully awful.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
It may have already been said, but I don't have time to read 11+ pages. The major advantage I see to having a higher end battery like a Provari or in my case a Vtube is the batteries can be changed much easier and cheaper. My replacement battery runs $8.00, not $30.

I have tried replaceable-battery PV's (OK, fine, APV's); VMax, ProVari, e-Power, Woo, Joyetech 18650 mod (love that thing, hardly ever use it) ... and what I use is the Twist.

Have you tried "living with" a VV ego-class power unit? If so, what didn't you like about it? If not, please consider adding a few to your arsenal, especially with a lanyard and a Vivi Nova. Nice.

This review just never gets old for me; it's all-around the most important one I've seen yet, on anything, and Grimm Green is the bomb.

THE EGO TWIST IS A GAME CHANGER - YouTube Grimm Green Twist Game changer

Previous post:

"Again, if I were just starting out, this is what I would have wanted to have, knowing what I know now:

Three Joyetech eGo-C Twists, or three Vision Spinners, or combination thereof.
Three Vivi Nova tanks; maybe 2- 3.5ml and 1-2.0 ml.
A box of five Boge 2.0 or 3.0 ohm single coil stainless steel XL-sized cartomizers
Two chargers.
Juice - At least 5 flavors, at least 150 ml total, 18mg, 80/20.
Lanyard.
Trim ring.

You're done.

I truly wish it had been this simple when I was just starting out.

Where to buy stuff; not sayin' these are the cheapest places, but smokin' ain't cheap either ....

Joyetech eGo-C Twist: Joyetech Joye eGo-C Twist Variable Voltage 650mAh Battery

More Twists: Batteries E Cigarette

USB charger: Joyetech eGo Rapid USB Charger 6.75

Wall charger: Mini AC Wall to USB Converter 6.25

eGo trim piece: eGo Cone Cover for DCTank

Lanyard: Joyetech Joye eGo Lanyard

Joye eGo carrying case: eGo Leather Carry Case

Cartomizers: Crystal Clear Vaping

Cartomizers: Boge Mix'n'Match (5 Box) Boge single coils .92 each

I'm not affiliated with any of these vendors, or profiting in any way from these recommendations (lord knows).

Juice?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../242367-what-flavor-you-vaping-right-now.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/237068-name-your-fav-flavor.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/286680-throat-hit-chase.html[/QUOTE]

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...n/333560-what-device-currently-your-hand.html

More stuff:

I love the Volt. I love the cool PCC available for it (charging case). I have never owned one, and I want one very badly.

I love my VMax. It's quirky, generally unreliable, and awesome.

I love the ProVari V2. It's arguably the best power source on the planet; beautiful, ultra-reliable, great-performing, solid as a rock, American-made.

I like kGo and eGo constant-voltage batteries for what they are. Solid, dependable, well-performing constant voltage batteries.

There are many different shapes and sizes of power sources (I like the term "power source" as opposed to the [absurd IMO]
"(P)ersonal (V)aporizer and "(A)dvanced (P)ersonal (V)aporizer"), and they fill many different niches. The Volt and Bloog seem to be the two best ciggie-look-alikes, but as such, they are limited in their capabilities - particularly, battery life and lack of variable voltage. The kGo, Joyetech and other eGo and Riva are among the best eGo-class constant voltage power sources, but as such, they are limited in their capabilities - particularly, lack of variable voltage.

There are many, many variable voltage power sources out there; the Provari V2, the Buzz Pro 2, some of the Reo bottom feeders, the Lavatube and all its incarnations like the Apollo SS VTube (great device IMO), the somewhat unproven but awesome Smoktech VMax (I have four of the originals), and that other 'animal", the variable-wattage Darwin.

There is also the relatively new, quite inexpensive, very reliable, and great-performing Joyetech eGo-C Twist; variable between 3.2 and 4.8 volts for an optimum vape on a fairly wide range of coil resistances and juices, easy to use, and only about $22 for a 650mah (milliamp hour, meaning it will put out .65 amps for one hour straight).

Given what the typical smoker has been spending per year on cigarettes, and given the very high stakes involved regarding failure to stop smoking, I agree with the many reviewers who think that the Twist is a valuable part of anyone's "arsenal", regardless of experience level or amount of equipment already amassed. It is what I'm vaping on right now, as my VMax's sit and pout.

Please watch these videos, and tell me what you think.

THE EGO TWIST IS A GAME CHANGER - YouTube Grimm Green Twist Game changer

A PBusardo Review - eGo Twist - OvaleUSA - YouTube Phil Busardo Twist review

Here is a thread that explains why the Joyetech eGo-C Twist is indeed IMO a "game-changer":

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...sion/302432-why-ego-c-twist-game-changer.html

Here are more YouTube reviews of the Twist - all very positive:

Joyetech Ego-C Twist Torture Review - YouTube

New Ego-C Twist VV Review - Ego Variable Voltage - YouTube

Review of the Ego-C Twist - YouTube

eGo-C Twist Review - YouTube

The Joy eGo-C Twist VV at GoodProphets Review.mp4 - YouTube

VaporChase Review - Joyetech eGo-C Twist from Vaporus - YouTube

And lastly, PLEASE read this thread from last night where I give some very specific recommendations:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/321209-brand-new-here-many-questions.html

Short version:

(3) Joyetch eGo-C Twists, 650mah (bare minimum of two plus a spare)
(2) Joyetech chargers (backup, backup, backup)
(1-5) Vivi Nova 3.5ml Version 2.5 tank/atomizers (they come with three atomizers of varying resistances)

Juice. Lots and lots of juice. 12-18mg, 80/20 PG/VG is a good starting point.

Optional: lanyard -for wearing your setup around your neck, and a trim ring to hold the lanyard, and dress up the connection between the Vivi Nova and the Twist.

Feel free to ask me any questions, including "What is your cell phone number?". I will mentor you for free if you'd like. This is not rocket surgery.

:vapor:

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
John if you like the turn style of the twist you may like the buzz pro if you haven't tried one. I had one and enjoyed it. The raised connector just got on my nerves.

E-Dude, I'll prolly own a Buzz Pro 2 (non-compliant, of course) for many reasons, including that exact one. Other reasons: it's built like a tank, I like to reward cleverness, Buzz is a wildman.

In other news - how the hell are ya? :^)

ChrisD, above (who is absolutely rocking those shades BTW): "Also Boge 2.0 or 3.0 for the Twists?"

According to Rader246, whose opinions and expertise I respect like few others, it makes virtually no difference given the Twist's electronics. I am now of the opinion that you will achieve no better battery life with the 3.0's than with the 2.0's, so just use whichever you happen to pick up, order, or find in your pocket. And as always, please do not use dual coils unless you have a more compelling reason than "two must be better than one".

Last edited:

Joe51

Jan 22, 2013
arkansas
So I just want to put something out and see if I can generate some discussion. After using the ego-c twist battery today, I assert that this product is the most important, game changing device since the DSE 901 and original joye ego.

So here's my reasoning. I'll note up front: All my "evidence" is merely my perception and belief from just hanging around the community since 2007. In other words, everything here is my opinion, I've got nothing to back it up. That said, please bear with me and read this very long post. I'm really interested to hear what people think.

Most folks who come to vaping from smoking are looking for a way to quit without quitting, if that makes sense. More likely than not, they have tried gum, patches, cold turkey without success. More often than not, they are introduced to ecigs via some kiosk in the mall and pay incredibly high prices for basically low end devices. The only good news about this is that these low end devices are better than the ones you found in these kiosks several years ago. The bad news is that unless they are lucky, many of these newbie vapers will go back to smoking. The reasons are varied, but I am going to assert that the root cause is really two things: inability of low end devices to deliver the VTF needed to successfully replace smoking with vaping and, their ignorance that there are other devices that will meet their needs. For the lucky ones, they find their way to this or the various other ecig communities. At that point, their chance of success increases dramatically due to the incredible nature of these communities -as a result, more likely than not, these newbies end up with a 510 device of some sort, almost always, an ego or a knockoff.

So, here's where the ego twist has its first potential game changer: soon, I have to assume that many, if not all, ego starter kits will come with at least one twist, if not two. The implication of this is powerful: at the very beginning of a vaper's experience they have - either in their hands or very cheaply (as little as $20) a true variable volt device.

Look through the "what's new" search results of ECF every day for a week. Inevitably, there is thread after thread asking essentially the same two questions: what can I do to keep vaping or, why is my ecig not performing. I'm going to assert that the root cause of these threads is really this: "help, I may go back to smoking!" Now, most folks here know that these issues are solved in a couple of ways: getting a better performing device, upping (or lowering) the nictotine content of the users juice, or finding a better tasting juice.

My contention is that, generally, a VV device will solve - partially or fully - these issues. Yes, it won't fully solve the nic or taste issues fully - but, VV has the potential to make a less desirable tasting juice a bit better or, give a better throat hit to a lower nic juice. But up until now, the only way to get a newbie to a better device was basically recommend a MOD. To be quite frank, as a community and as an industry, despite all the awesome mods, things are just too confusing: volts vs. watts, cartos vs. attys, dripping, tanks, ohms. To be honest, after all these years vaping even I get confused sometimes. Luckily there is a great cottage industry of youtube vapers who provide a great service with reviews and education on these issues and such. Even so, until now, there has not been a simple consumer friendly device that could meet 75% of vaper's needs.

I content that what the ecig world needs is the "iPod of ecigs": simple, small, nice looking, good performing, easy to use and meets most vaper's needs. The ego-c twist may not be that device 100%, but it's damn close. Damn close. If the twist does make it into the starter kits, the first response to any issue a vaper might have should be, simply, twist the bottom cap and see if that solves your problem. powerful.

Now, I am making the assumption that most users will end up with ego kits early in their vaping lives and, I am also assuming, obviously, that the twist finds its way into those kits. Moreover, I am also assuming that the ego knock-offs will copy the twist. But, I think these are all safe assumptions from watching this industry essentially since it's inception in the US.

This post is not really a review of the twist per se, I'll refer you to others who do a better job of those for that (I'd recommend starting with pbusardo's YouTube review and I suspect grimmgreen will have one up shortly). But, I guess I should say a few things about the device.

EDIT: gonna add something neon mentions below that I missed pointing out and I think is essential for folks to know if they are not familiar with the twist. I'll just paste his words here:

And its regulated, we're talking 4.8 Volts under load!

[/EDIT]

In essence, it's a lavatube in an ego form factor. For 20 or 30 bucks, not 50 to 70. In fact - and I know I am gonna get slammed for this comment - it goes a long way to being a good subsitute for a provari or Kicked SB or other tube mod. I think it goes without saying that given the twist's pricing, buying a lavatube is probaby not worth it now. Yes, I know, I know, there's no way that can be true but my contention is that for most vapers, the "extras" that these high end devices provide aren't worth it *for them*.

Now, the twist has got its negatives : there's no display (although I'll argue: why do you need one?). If you vape above 4.8 volts consistently, it's not for you. It's battery life is not comparable to these high end mods with AWR batteries. All true. But. It's. 20. Bucks. And its a tried and true device: the ego with the addition of the exact same circuitry and protections in the lavatube and (I believe this is a correct statement, but I could be wrong) the provari. Its small, has decent battery life and performs just like it should (check out pbusardo's video for the data). I think alot of people would agree that it's the best VV device for the money available today.

Which brings me to game changer #2: as the twist gains traction among the ecig community I think it's going to force a significant price drop at the high end. I mean: is a display and a bit longer batter life worth $100 more if you vape at 4 or 4.5 volts all the time? Even if you vape at the "sweet spot" 5V, 4.8V may be close enough. Moreover, with those devices (and again, I'm assuming you dont vape over 5V consistantly) are bigger and heavier.

That said, there is going to still be a need for these high end devices. I know that a not insigificant percentage of this community vape above 5V or at 6V. But, If things go as I think they are gonna go, basically economics says that the twist is going to pressure the high end by taking away potential users. And sadly, we may see some of these high end mods go by the wayside simply because it doesn't make economic sense to keep producing them. Those high end devices that survive are going to have to do it either at a lower price point or by providing additional benefits and features to justify an additional $100 or $150.

Anyway, that's basically my rant. I could be wrong. I know there have been a couple of ego type VV devices before this that didn't reshape the industry. I guess I am assuming that this time it's different for a couple of reasons: same circuitry,the most popular manufacturer, the most popular form factor with the significsnt potential to make VV the standard for all starter kits. Not to mention that based on my usage and seeing some reviews from others, the twist delivers performance-wise. Really well.

So, please have at it and tell me where I'm wrong or, maybe even more interestingly where you think the industry is going (maybe vv is not the future and variable wattage is). Thanks for reading this far.

Regards, Dan

Hey, sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but as a newbie whose been researching, I found this very insightful and wanted to respond in a few ways.

First off, you're absolutely correct in saying that nearly everyone that comes to vaping starts too low on the totem pole. Think disposables or cig look alike autos like blu.

The reason for this is simple. Because you're a smoker, you're freakin broke always. After years of literally wasting money on cessation, it's almost silly to drop $100 on an entire kit and refills. Basically you're in the mindset that it's a lost cause anyway. This is what makes an ego special. For 100 bones, you get a device that can actually rival cigs. It's not the same. At first, it's not as good, but it's sufficient. And that's before we start talking VV.

Unfortunately, I started with a blu starter kit. I quickly cut back by a little more than a half pack a day, but the end result was two costly habits... I did see the potential, though and thought I should try harder, so I got the C. No twist, just the C and instantly cut cigs out almost completely. This is the magic.

To wrap that back into the community, if you wish to make this industry stronger, there must be sufficient alternatives that completely set you up (fluid and all) for 100 bones or less. Any more investment than that, and the smoker just doesn't see the value due to the fact that we are used to being thoroughly disappointed.

Will the twist be a game changer? I'm afraid not. In order to make it a game changer, a few things need to be added. I have no clue why someone should have to come here to learn "the rest of the story". I wish manufactorers would list compatible products and how to use them. Hell I wish their directions on their own stuff was more friendly to the American consumer, but if the possibilities were included without significant research, they would sell more. That would also open the door to more cooperation between PV and Attachment manufactorers. Think if the PV was cheaper because they shipped with it adveratisements for clearo's, carto's, attys, and tanks that worked with their equipment. At the same time, the mods could be cheaper for increased sales and shipping info about different PV's.

When we reach that coop step, we will be able to get price points down far enough to really put pressure on tobacco. PV and Mod suppliers aren't really in competition with each other, yet. They are all in direct competition with tobacco. Admirable, ballsy, but foolish. They don't need to outdo each other, yet. The first step is to outdo the cigarette. Then numbers + competition will equal lots and lots of very happy vapors. :)

In the mean time, I recommend ego's to every smoker I know. Until you get a taste of the potential, it just seems like a waste of money any way.

Thanks for the good read, OP.

To you PV snobs out there, you're not doing any of us any favors. :glare:

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
In my opinion, the game is already changed. EGO Twists are everywhere. I think they are the industry gold standard for an inexpensive VV PV. I went into a B&M shop not too long ago and EGO Twists were about the only PVs they even had. Now, if they made an ego twist I could replace the batteries in . . . .

I think the future of PVs is going to be like the future of all electronics . .smaller, better, cheaper. Unless you're already conditioned to walking around with a huge mod . .nobody is going to want to do that. It doesn't take too long vaping to start to see 10 inch mods that you have to carry in a jacket pocket as normal .. but it seems very, very odd to a smoker.

And if you could get the performance of a ProVari in a cigalike size package (and I believe someday you will) . . who wouldn't want that?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I just got a 1000 mah ego twist. Only bad thing is the numbers are really hard to read, but once I get used to what voltage I like it to be set at it won't matter. 3.8 seems to do the trick for me. What do most people keeps theirs at?
I don't think I've ever set mine below 4.2 volts.
At least half the time it's turned up all the way to 4.8 volts.

But then, I generally stick with tobacco, coffee, and chocolate flavors.
It doesn't seem to be uncommon for people to prefer those at higher voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread