Why the ego c twist is a game changer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dham340

ECF Veteran
Aside from a gifted 901 a couple years ago, I have kept the eGo. I only this week bought the 900mah bats...up from my 650's. I like the size and feel of the eGo...period. The bats last 6-8 hrs and I vape just fine with them. I look at the SB, Provari's, and others...but, A) I really can't afford to throw that much at once into a mod. B) I don't need the VV...I'm quite happy with what I have.
I do believe there will always be a market for the higher end PV's, but I also believe that most vapers are average Joe's...and they don't need or want a Mazerati when the Honda will get them there. I have been curious if VV would be better, but if I DO try it, the eGo VV will be for me.
Good discussion, dham!

So Onna, the question I have for you is this: you say you currently have no desire to go VV. but let's say one of your ego batteries dies tomorrow. Would you spring for a new ego battery? Would you go for the twist for $20 (650 mah) or $30 (1000 mah) over a regular ego ? I'm guessing the answer is yes and if indeed it is, I would assert you are no different from just about anyone else and exhibit A on why I think the twist is going to take over the vaping community.

dham340

ECF Veteran
...I will likely own a Twist or two in the new future but it will be more for what it does than for the price point.

exactly. My point exactly. And what it does, for the price is pretty phenomenal. I don't see how anyone can seriously not offer VV standard in the future.

As for durability, as long as egos are not dying on you every 3 months, I think my argument holds. However, if that starts to happen then the big mods become more attractive for their durability

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
OK well I am definitely outnumbered, but I have to admit that I wasn't aware that you could do 0.2 now with these, and that does matter. I do admit that this is a definite improvement over the ego-t. Poor quality batteries, crappy atties that clogged up too fast, leaked, stunk after a while, poor taste, etc etc. So all of that has nothing to do with the ego twist of course, but all of my bad experiences with egos, including batteries dying early on, did have an effect.

The other part of it is the fact that it is definitely on the low end of the technology, and a fair bit away from the Darwin that I use. There is so much cheap gear out there with more features than the twist though, sure the twist is a bit cheaper but I see so many people go from PV to PV like a nomad wandering in the desert that I always tell people to go for quality if they can.

Now when I first started vaping I only cut down and in fact spent over a year both smoking and vaping but I was saving a couple hundred bucks a month or more, every month, that buys a lot of gear. Of course we look to save money vaping but you can go out there and buy both a Darwin and a Provari and all the atties and cartos you need and be way way ahead of what you were spending on smoking. So the ideal time to realize that is right at the start I guess.

So I've never used an ego twist nor do I ever want to but one thing is clear, the price of decent quality has really come down, and that's something that is good for vaping in general.

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
And its regulated, we're talking 4.8 Volts under load! I'm very impressed with my 1000 mah twist, I use it more than my silver bullet .

Quit with joytech in 2009, still vaping Joytech

Neon

Where have you been hiding, man? Drop by the pavilion and I'll let you drip some WTA to try it out. This is the guy who got me into vaping. By the way I finally quit! If you like the twist then it can't be all that bad :)

OnnaB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
GA
Yep...at that price, $20, I'd probably get the eGo VV. Like I said, I am curious what all the VV talk is about, but I'm not likely to pay $100+ to find out. I'm on your side of this...! Also, I had my first 650mah bats for 2 yrs...not in use for 2 yrs, but they fired right up after being stored for over 1 yr...I'm just an eGo fan....lol.

Greykin

Verified Member
May 20, 2012
Arizona, USA
Do not discount these points rustica makes:

A truly "standard" ego needs to be "less fiddly". AWR batteries are great but they are one more thing to worry about. Self contained is the future, especially given the recent attention battery discharge got in the press. As is ecigs with protection circuitry. I'd incorporate rustica's comments to my OP.

Great post with some excellent points, dham340. I think though, that the value of the twist is going to be up to personality type. I'll use myself as an example.

I had my 1st experience w/ ecigs about a year ago, and as you mentioned, I wrote the whole thing off as "useless" because I was using a craptastic cigarette sized PV that did not satisfy in any way. I went back to analogs for a year, then started seeing some co-workers at the smoking table with eGo C's and eGo T's. I was intrigued, tried it out, loved it, and bought my own eGo C batteries with Vision V2 Clearomizers. That was great to start off with, but once I started researching and reading tons of info here on ECF, the wider world of vaping was revealed to me. I upgraded to eGo C twists within 1 week, decided I liked VV after using it, then upgraded to a version 1.5 lavatube a week & a half later.

For me, the Twist was an invaluable stepping stone. I'm an IT guy, total techie/gearhead and love to fiddle and experiment. I've currently got eyes on a kicked Silver Bullet and a wooden VV box mod (haven't decided which yet). In my universe, rustica's comments hold no water...I love playing with and figuring stuff out. I'm pretty sure that within the next 6-12 months I'll probably start building my own metal tube mods and wooden box mods.

All that said, the Twist would be way too in-depth for my parents (I bought them ego C kits for late mother's day and early father's day gifts), but I think the Twist will be a good end-point device for my brother, who is techie to a degree.

It all depends on what you like. Some people want the Honda Civic which just runs well forever and a day, some people want the Mercedes that's a super performer at the cost of an arm and a leg, and some people want the rusted out '57 Chevy and a garage full of tools & parts. Vape on! =)

Last edited:

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
As soon as mine arrived and i verfied that it works as well as my eGo Booster, the Twist immediately jumped to #1 position in devices I'll recommend to people who want to try vaping. Nothing touches it for low initial "trying out vaping" investment/bang-fer-the-buck, and sheer, beautiful simplicity. It eliminates the whole "first you use eGos/Kgos/whatever-Gos and THEN you go to VV" progression, and that's a wonderful thing. Sure sure, the removeable-batt VV mods are still a step up in some ways, but the gap has been bridged, and assuming that Twists turn out to have a decent lifespan and reasonable reliability, admirably so. Is this very affordable (for less than the price of a single carton of analogs in my state, one can own three Twists) small-format (shirt-pocket friendly!) VV a game-changer? Without question. It is my hope and my belief that Twist will significantly raise the the percentage of new vapers who end up sticking with it, and that's awesome.
Of course there will be some who want higher voltage than the Twist provides, but many people who formerly would have eventually "followed the progression" and moved up to a LT/Provari/etc.etc. will now never feel the need. I think that market is going to take a bit of a hit, really. As for the eGo clone/knockoff manufacturers? Any that can't bring something Twist-like to the market are probably done. Their advantage over Joye eGos of providung "actual battery" voltage is annihilated, and their "few bucks cheaper" advantage fades in light of Twists functionality. The choice now is..."hmm, a fixed-voltage xyzGo for 15 bucks, or a VV Twist for 20???"...eh, bye bye xyzGos.

Penner

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
USA
I gotta admit, I got my 2 eGo twist 1000 mah vv mid-April. I haven't used my Provari since. The Egos are lightweight, go to the voltage I want & last just as long.
Form factor & vv was the thing I was looking for. The Provari always felt too big & heavy, even tho it absolutely helped me stay off analogs in the early days, & is not a stacked mod.

dham340

ECF Veteran
OK well I am definitely outnumbered, but I have to admit that I wasn't aware that you could do 0.2 now with these, and that does matter. I do admit that this is a definite improvement over the ego-t. Poor quality batteries, crappy atties that clogged up too fast, leaked, stunk after a while, poor taste, etc etc. So all of that has nothing to do with the ego twist of course, but all of my bad experiences with egos, including batteries dying early on, did have an effect.

The other part of it is the fact that it is definitely on the low end of the technology, and a fair bit away from the Darwin that I use. There is so much cheap gear out there with more features than the twist though, sure the twist is a bit cheaper but I see so many people go from PV to PV like a nomad wandering in the desert that I always tell people to go for quality if they can.

Now when I first started vaping I only cut down and in fact spent over a year both smoking and vaping but I was saving a couple hundred bucks a month or more, every month, that buys a lot of gear. Of course we look to save money vaping but you can go out there and buy both a Darwin and a Provari and all the atties and cartos you need and be way way ahead of what you were spending on smoking. So the ideal time to realize that is right at the start I guess.

So I've never used an ego twist nor do I ever want to but one thing is clear, the price of decent quality has really come down, and that's something that is good for vaping in general.

I don't think we were trying to gang up, just trying to flush out the argument and see where it took the discussion.

Now, I would never argue this could take place of Darwin. If I'm lucky somewhere in this thread someone will argue variable wattage is the future and not VV and make the case for it. I'm looking forward to hearing that argument.

But, 20$ vs $200 - if you can get one (and trust me, i *want* a darwin. I'm just as big a gear geek as the next guy). Big difference. Hopefully the DNA will make variable wattage devices as common as egos and we get a "platform war" because like you said (and my meta argument above) and price of quality comes down, everyone in the communi benefits.

dham340

ECF Veteran
As soon as mine arrived and i verfied that it works as well as my eGo Booster, the Twist immediately jumped to #1 position in devices I'll recommend to people who want to try vaping. Nothing touches it for low initial "trying out vaping" investment/bang-fer-the-buck, and sheer, beautiful simplicity. It eliminates the whole "first you use eGos/Kgos/whatever-Gos and THEN you go to VV" progression, and that's a wonderful thing. Sure sure, the removeable-batt VV mods are still a step up in some ways, but the gap has been bridged, and assuming that Twists turn out to have a decent lifespan and reasonable reliability, admirably so. Is this very affordable (for less than the price of a single carton of analogs in my state, one can own three Twists) small-format (shirt-pocket friendly!) VV a game-changer? Without question. It is my hope and my belief that Twist will significantly raise the the percentage of new vapers who end up sticking with it, and that's awesome.
Of course there will be some who want higher voltage than the Twist provides, but many people who formerly would have eventually "followed the progression" and moved up to a LT/Provari/etc.etc. will now never feel the need. I think that market is going to take a bit of a hit, really. As for the eGo clone/knockoff manufacturers? Any that can't bring something Twist-like to the market are probably done. Their advantage over Joye eGos of providung "actual battery" voltage is annihilated, and their "few bucks cheaper" advantage fades in light of Twists functionality. The choice now is..."hmm, a fixed-voltage xyzGo for 15 bucks, or a VV Twist for 20???"...eh, bye bye xyzGos.

So you basically made my original argument in like 3/4ths the words! Hats off to your eloquence and efficiency!

Please allow me to incorporate by reference...

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere

Wow.... Anyway all I can say is that I haven't touched my Provari since I got my eGo Twist! It is absolutely amazing! I'm just waiting for the Twist to come out in the K Engraved series, and then I'd say, nothing whatsoever can beat it in looks, price, performance, reliablility and portability.
I also don't feel comfortable with all my many removable batteries, and their many chargers now that the Twist has arrived, it just seems like an unnecessary risk and bother in the tube mod format. For my BoxMod type, I can still deal with it for now :).

Last edited:

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
Well variable wattage isn't just the future, it's the present and the past too :)

They do have the kick now which kinda is the Ego Twist of variable wattage I guess :D

Thanks for not coming down hard on me and it's good that they have what everyone is saying is a quality starter VV so cheap now :) I take it back now that I've seen how many twist lovers there are :)

If you put down your Provari Dragonbone that must mean that you are tired of all that clicking and prefer to use a different muscle group, the ones that twist :D However that does impress me as well as Neon using it a lot, he must have thrown away his home made mods :)

Last edited:

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
So you basically made my original argument in like 3/4ths the words! Hats off to your eloquence and efficiency!

Please allow me to incorporate by reference...

Heh, yep, "paraphrasing in concurrence"...and thanks for a thought-provoking thread...I hadn't thought a whole lot about the impact of the Twist upon the entirety of the vapin' paradigm and the PV/APV market...it has quickly proven to be a game-changer in my own little (admittedly atypical) vaping world, but i daresay you are on to something. Looks to be a potential game-changer for Vapedom itself.

Funny, as Twist is really rather unassuming (almost lackluster, even) at first glance, and doesn't come off as being something which will shake the market up, what with so many eyes turned ever to the horizon to see what Next Big Thing will be appearing...funny, but despite it's lack of an omg-awesome digital display, it's inability to crank out 5...no wait, 5.5....OK THIS ONE DOES 6....amps :D , despite it's measly 4.8 v...Twist will see success on levels that the Next Big Thing designers can only dream about. It's the Next Little Thing (to paraphrase your iPod analogy) and it's gonna be huge. Considering how much I like 'em (with a 3ohm Boge slapped on top), it's nice to contemplate years of Twist availability.

dham340

ECF Veteran
I think you make a good point with the the statement "unassuming" because that's what the twist is.

At first I think there are going to be 2 camps: folks who recognize the value and potential of the twist and those who don't. "twisties" are going to realize that it's worth giving up big battery VV mods for essentially the same functionality just in a smaller form factor. Others, will not. Not that they are wrong, just that they are going to value (and I would argue over-value) vape time over form factor.

But the simple fact is that nearly every one of us made vaping work back when our devices were lucky to get 2 or 3 hrs vape time. we traded small for big to get time. The introduction of VV complicated the size problem: the tech required a big battery to meet the power needs and tech requirements (eg housing for the boost circuits) of long lasting VV vaping. The problem - and the question - is simply this: is it worth 3 twists in the shirt pocket for wake to sleep vaping (1 or 2 twists and maybe a USB charger in the desk at work) or Must you have one device, even if its bigger and heavier. it's a personal choice.

I for one fall on the side of small and portable. I think a lot of folks are going to feel that way too. And with that decision, the entire focus and future of vaping may be set.

asha23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
London
I got mine yesterday and have to agree that the Twist is easily as good as my LavaTube. I'll be getting a load more of these as they are far more discreet than chunky tube mods. I get so bored in the pub when I'm puffing on my LT of telling endless people what I'm doing. For out-and-about use, I honestly think the Twist is unbeatable at this price point. I like the looks of the Innokin iTaste, but think it's proprietary connection system is a step back. Plus in light of the Twist it's hugely overpriced for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread