Status
Not open for further replies.

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
One of the things that keeps me away from the twist is my love of tanks. A tank really doesn't look that great on a ego style battery.

What's wrong? with that? :?:

Twist w-Ego DCT.jpg

Ctor

static void Main()
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2012
New Jersey
I'm new to vaping, and I consider myself technologically savy. I know my way around electric circuits, and have even built home audio equipment from scratch. The OP states that the twist is a game changer, and I agree completely. As a new twist owner, and a noob to vaping, but a veteran of technology, here are my impressions.

First, not everyone wants a separate battery charger and to physically change batteries. The ability to screw it into a USB dongle and charge it virtually anywhere there's a outlet or computer is a huge plus for the technologically challanged. My wife isn't a smoker or vaper, but she often calls me to change batteries in flashlights and battery powered devices, and don't even ask if it has multple buttons and needs to be "programmed" in any way. Also, if you forget to charge the spare battery, with the charging times of the high mAh batteries, you need a backup anyway.

Second, the twist is a simple device that works on a very simple and easy to understand principal, a dial. No multple sets of buttons, or button sequences to remember, no modes. Just what I described to a coworker new to vaping as a "flavor dial". It's easy to understand that concept for someone coming from an auto or manual FV batt. There's no "set it to x volts" or changes in .1 v increments, as most people don't know or care about volts, amps, watts, or ohm's law. Turn it up for more flavor, turn it down a little if it tastes burnt or gives too harsh a throat hit.

For me, I will get a more advanced PV in the future. But things are chaning so fast, with new models coming out almost daily and a good number of them with bugs and flaws. For around $50, I can have 2 twists, get most of the benefits of variable wattage vaping (which is what variable voltage is in effect anyway) and can wait untl the next generation of PV's shake out.

I appreciate the technology of the APVs, and am generally a gadget/technology type of guy. But I also don't generally go for the "I must have the latest and greatest" mentality. You won't find me staning in line at midnight for the latest iphone, tablet, or whatever, and I won't be doing that with PVs either. I tend to let others "beta test" new units and wait until the bugs are identified and addressed, and the pros and cons of the devices are well known.

I love the twist so far. The bottom line is that it greatly enhanced my vaping experience at a very reasonable price.

Last edited:

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
Has anybody ever posted any pictures of a Twist to show how big it is compared to other vaping options?
My 650mah Twist is almost exactly the same size as my 1100mah Kgo.
That's my maximum comfort range for out-and-about travel as I need something that fits comfortably in my jeans front pocket.

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
For around $50, I can have 2 twists, get most of the benefits of variable wattage vaping (which is what variable voltage is in effect anyway) and can wait untl the next generation of PV's shake out.

LOL I've had this argument before. What most are calling "variable wattage" is actually the ability to maintain a constant wattage by automatically varying the voltage across a changing load. :laugh:

But since you adjust the display for watts instead of volts, it's adopted the name "VW".

It's really just a different variable in the same equation, but all that's for another thread. :D

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
I agree with the premise in the OP.
The Twist is a real game changer and being an older individual I liken it to the Walkman rather than that new fangled iPod thingie.

I’m still new to vaping having just started a few months ago. I had a typical progression from Mall 808’s to Kgo and now to the Twist. While I am a techie of sorts and am interested in trying all sorts of new stuff, when it comes to vaping I require something simple, affordable, durable and easily portable in my jeans pocket.

The Twist satisfies all of those requirements. It has also opened my eyes to the real benefits of VV-vaping. I had been reading all of the posts saying how much the quality of vape changes with minor changes in resistance and voltage, but until I got my Twist and played around with it some, it never really sunk in. One hour with this thing, and I’ll never go back to a fixed device for my main PV.

I’m mixed on whether it spells doom for the top of the line PV’s like Provari or will see their sales skyrocket. On the one hand, the Twist offers so much bang for the buck it will fulfill the majority of vaper’s needs and most will probably stop there. On the other hand thousands of people that otherwise wouldn’t try a VV device will now have their eyes opened to the benefits of VV vaping that the market for high end devices may expand exponentially.

Anyhoo, I absolutely love the Twist, and can’t wait to see the next generation. The way things are progressing, I won’t be waiting long.

Last edited:

FisherPal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2009
Campbell River, BC
I started vaping about 3 yrs ago - went through the penstyle, 401, 510 and the KR808 cycle. Landed up quitting vaping for a couple of years as nothing could pull me over completely. Last November, I bought an Ego 650 mah and 1000 mah and haven't looked back since. Hasn't been a totally smooth journey as still couldn't find the right battery/carto/clearo etc combo that totally satisfied me. Can't afford the big mods and, frankly didn't want the 'pipe bomb' look anyway. I am on the 'late side of middle age' and really don't want that kind of look, :D. Bought a couple of Twists a few weeks ago and, with the 3 ohm Boge XXL carto on top ... I am, for the first time, absolutely and totally satisfied. I am loving these! For the age range of those of us 50 yrs' plus, I cannot imagine any of us (and there are a lot of us out there in the vaping community) who would ever need to go beyond 4.8 V - more likely a happy medium between 4.0 - 4.6. The ease of use, the lack of all the displays telling you things that you don't even understand, the ability to simply twist back or forth to find that sweet spot depending on your juice and the elegant look of the Ego Twist is a complete winner - at least in my books. Not only that ... this is one incredibly tough little beast as I found out from first hand experience yesterday.

For anyone worried about dropping these in water ... let me put your mind at ease. Last night my mother-in-law (who is almost blind) swept my Twist (which I had carelessly left much too close to the kitchen sink) along with all the other utensils into the piping hot, soapy water when doing dishes. I didn't even know it until a good 5 - 10 minutes later when out it comes for drying along with the forks and knives. OMG! My Twist! My lovely new Twist! Well, I dried it off, popped a different carto (this one is still drying out!) on it and fearfully pushed the button, not really expecting much. Still works like nothing at all happened. Love this thing ... love it I say!

dham340

ECF Veteran
Its all a great discussion...but in the end,its not the batt tube that does the vaping,its the atty/tank you screw on it :)

Best tube mod in the world aint worth its weight in crap if it doesnt have a good atomizing device attached to it.

And that seems to be forgotten. :laugh:

Excellent point and should not be forgotten. I will say though that a VV battery can make a crapppy atty/carto a bit better, not perfect, but better.

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
Let's face it. For some, the twist provides the performance they want in a form factor they find acceptable. For others, it doesn't do either. There's no right/wrong here except for meeting individual needs. The twist is inexpensive enough to get one and try. I did, and decided it didn't meet my needs so I moved on. If it looks/sounds interesting to you, get one and try it. You won't really know until you do.

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
Thanks for starting this thread, and I think you make a great point. I don't believe for a moment that the Twist will significantly hurt the Provari and Darwin market, but I agree that it's a game changer. An easy to use, affordable VV device that won't puzzle a new vaper but will provide room to grow and experiment. I like mine a lot, and it's clearly more versatile than my KGO. Cheap, easily pocketable, reliable VV - how could that package not be a hit?

If they last well in use, this will arguably become the best starting point for MOST (nothing is universal!) new vapers.

ETA: And I think a lot of people will stick with them long term. It's a viable device for those who want good performance, quality, and simplicity.

Last edited:

stew5150

Verified Member
May 30, 2012
AZ
I started vaping again a week ago with an eGo starter kit with clearomizers and I wasn't getting the vapor that I thought I should be. I still don't know enough about the different tank/carto set ups that people seem to love to make an informed purchase so I bought the 1000mah twist to see if the option of turning up the heat would help in vapor. This is what will keep me vaping for sure. It's small enough to pack around easily and I'm finally getting good hits from the clearos. I am still interested in the provaris but until I know more about the tank options and what not I am still a bit overwhelmed by all the info. I wholeheartedly recommend the twist to anyone who thinks the stock ego needs a bit more oomph, but are unsure of how to spend their hard earned money in a way that is economical.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
***** Warning - I did not read the entire thread before I teed off on poor KC ******

(And I'm too tired to edit my post, so this disclaimer will have to do lol)

KC: "Thanks for not coming down hard on me and it's good that they have what everyone is saying is a quality starter VV so cheap now I take it back now that I've seen how many twist lovers there are ...."

I don't want to spoil the party here but the only people who are so price sensitive is outright newbies. Once you realize how cheap it is to vape, the thousands of dollars you can save a year with it, then $50 or $100 or even $200 becomes much less meaningful. In fact a lot of vapers go crazy here and end up with a table full of expensive mods.

Now if we think back to when we first started vaping, spending a couple of hundred bucks or more on a PV seemed pretty far out. Then we realized that it wasn't so crazy after all.

I started with an ego and to be honest I ended up hating the stuff and giving it away to someone, who I then felt sorry for. New people don't know the difference maybe but if they start out with a crappy PV then they are less likely to stick with it. I would not recommend egos a through z to anyone.

Sure, being able to twist it and change the voltage certainly can't hurt. This is however not what we would consider a good VV device, which you can change the voltage in small increments. Small increments can make all the difference by the way.

You can get actual VV devices so cheaply now that there is no reason for anyone not to start out with a good one, unless you are on a super tight budget. However, just by cutting down on smoking you can pay for several good ones in no time at all.

It wouldn't hurt I guess for someone to buy a couple of ego-c batteries, and you do need at least two of these, but the expectation is that if they stick with vaping and once they realize what else is out there for not a lot more money, they will be putting away the egos. So I'd recommend that people start out higher on the food chain, egos are the eels of the PV world really, the bottom suckers :D

I can't get behind this at all. I have a lot of experience dealing with and mentoring newbies, and many, many of them want something on the small side - god forbid a ciggie look-alike, but I get that request too.

The Joyetech Twist is a slam dunk no-brainer starter battery that I'm starting a lot of people on, although I do love my VMax. That said, let's not be too quick to forget that many, many people like having a "stealthy" PV at times, like Phil Busardo just said in his review of the Twist. He didn't want a bunch of people bugging him with "hey, what's that thing?" like he'd be more likely to get if he was using a Provari with a J-tank. I think he said he was using some kGo's with EMDCC's. A Joyetech Twist with an eGo-C tank/atty would be pretty stealthy as well.

"I started with an ego and to be honest I ended up hating the stuff and giving it away to someone, who I then felt sorry for. New people don't know the difference maybe but if they start out with a crappy PV then they are less likely to stick with it. I would not recommend egos a through z to anyone.

Sure, being able to twist it and change the voltage certainly can't hurt. This is however not what we would consider a good VV device ..."

Who is "we"? Maybe you should tell Phil his review had it all wrong:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...01373-pbusardo-review-ego-twist-ovaleusa.html

Lastly, I really don't get the "bottom feeder" comment at all. Joyetech makes good stuff that gets the job done, IMO.

Sorry bro! I promise I'll read before I leap next time! Please don't bite me, I'm highly allergic to snake venom! lol

Last edited:

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
John D: It seems that more than one veteran vaper does indeed consider the twist a good VV device, so I guess I stand corrected on this one. As far as newbies wanting cigarette shaped devices, this is where you deliver a sharp slap to the side of their head and tell them that is just plain stupid, and none of this has anything to do with emulating the shape or size of cigarettes :D That might not quite do it though so you can then tell them to get a redds kit or something similar and come back to see you when they figure out that there is a price to be paid with that :)

I'm not sure that the twist is all that stealthy especially with a large tank hooked on to it :) That's where you might want your redds or bloog or even ego-t setups. However I'd worry more about something that looks like a cigarette and especially with an LED on the end :)

I actually don't like something that sticks out of my standard sized shirt pocket and with the arm down my Darwin doesn't. The twist with an atty would though. With this thing I can tell people it's a nicotine inhaler and they definitely believe me since it does not look anything like a cigarette, even less so than the twist ;)

As for the bottom feeder comment, up until now at least the ego line hasn't been anything that anyone who knows better should be using, although I do try to keep an open mind and it's been opened by this thread. It's not that I don't like Joyetech though as I've been using the ego-t atties for almost a year now and am not even interested in these new tanks, with their big size, filler, cartos that burn up quickly, and so on. I absolutely love this atty, absolutely hate any of the ego atties I've tried though, so it hasn't been the company, it's been the line that I haven't liked. However, Joyetech is definitely capable of producing quality stuff and it looks like they did with their batteries what they did with their tank atties with the ego-t.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
I'm totally with you on "Why the eff do you want something that looks just like the thing that is presently killing you?", but I run into ALL kinds. One girl just told me that I would drown if I inhaled water vapor. My mention of therapeutic vaporizers, steam baths, and leisurely walks on foggy shores was lost on her, as was my apparent "waterboarding" of myself by taking several fearless toots in her presence.

I'm not a huge fan of the -T atomizers, but i think the -C's are an improvement, although I still have no first-hand experience. C attys with "A" tanks were what I had in mind for a "stealth vape". One thing about the Joyetech batteries is that they seem to "hit" better than their 3.4 volts would seem to indicate. Sailorman gave it to me good for my observation that a Joyetech battery puts out more power than a 3.7 volt e-Power, but I'm stickin' to it. I do believe the Joyetech batteries use a type of pulse width modulation as opposed to the "straight" electric flow of the e-Power, but I could be wrong. I do pretty much know for a fact that the Joyetech does give appreciably more vapor on the same setup than an e-Power does. I give it about a 95-99% chance of being scientifically sound.

I think I'm going to be a big, big fan of the Bulli atomizer when I get one, and the one I want happens to use the Joyetech "B" tank. I think the Joyetech tanks really are pretty cool; I'll be using them again if and when all the stuff I have loaned out all over the place ever finds its way back to me. For now, it's mainly XL cartos in Smoktech 3.5ml DCT tanks.

Check out the Bulli if you haven't already, and this guy reviewing it - he's a hoot, for sure.

Bulli A2-T atomizer from bulli-smoker.com - YouTube

Tezcatlipoca

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2012
Riverside, CA
I think the Twist would be an excellent beginner device for a number of reasons, and most of them have been stated already. As far as wanting a cigarette lookalike, I too wanted something like that at first, and in my case and from talking to people, many smokers don't want something that will draw too much attention. They might also want the "feel" of a cigarette, but really I think many want to baby-step from a cigarette and to not stand out too much from their fellow smokers. I don't think social smokers want a flashlight. It draws too many looks and questions and potential skepticism about something that they are already unsure of.

That being said, I got a pen-style and used it casually for two years while continuing to smoke. For me, the problem was that it looked too much like a cigarette, which would trigger "fake cigarette" in my mind, and leave me craving a real one. I put it down for a while and then got an eGo four months or so ago, and it was just right. It was still vaguely reminiscent of a cigarette, but not so much so that it would make me think of cigarettes. This was the turning point for me, and I began to think of vaping as something entirely different than smoking, and a suitable replacement for it, rather than something that was trying to mimic smoking and doing a poor job of it. The eGo helped me break my association of vaping with smoking, and that was crucial. I felt like it was fairly discreet too, and I could take it anywhere. The Twist takes this one step further and allows the noob (or anyone for that matter) full control over their vape, at least from the battery end, and it is still pocketable, won't stand out too much, and is very user-friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread