Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Lets give it a bit more use time before this transform into a "I have found the holy grail" thread shall we :)
They are still a $20 VV device,cheap is cheap!
Why pray tell? Why on earth not? So... we can say that a Provari or whatever is the holy grail, but not the Twist?
I have the holy grail (for this week anyway, next week may be different) lol!!! Nothing wrong with cheap - if it's good.
P.S. Where did you get a Twist for $20 please? I need to stock up.

Last edited:

SazoidX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Tucson, Arizona
One girl just told me that I would drown if I inhaled water vapor.[/url]
This is the best argument (in amusement factor) that I've heard against vaping yet!

I started three weeks ago (full disclosure - newb here) with an Ego-T kit. I'm a tech dork so I immediately ditched the stock tanks and went with the Vision Clearomizer, which I love. I started trolling these forums and was totally intrigued by VV.

So, then I had a dilemma - get a $175 ProVari and take the chance that I don't like it or it doesn't make a difference, or get a mid range VV that (arguably) may not give me the "true" vv experience, or if I do like it, be out $60-$70 that I could have spent on the ProVari.

The Ego Twist was a perfect fix for me. I spent $25, and have been experimenting with it for the past week. So far I'm a total convert to VVs! Now I feel confident in buying (once I've saved up for a bit) one of the "higher end" VV models, and I like having the Twist for a going out when I don't want to take anything I can't fit in my pocket with my cards and cell phone.

I can absolutely see some of my friends that have started vaping being perfectly happy to stop with the Twist as their go to VV device. Whether you move on to bigger and better things or are totally satisfied with a Twist, I think it is a really good, phenomenally priced, easy to use way to move into the exciting world of VV.

Last edited:

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Lets give it a bit more use time before this transform into a "I have found the holy grail" thread shall we :)

You seem to be implying that there is something intrinsically wrong with the device because it doesn't cost very much. I don't understand the logic behind that.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Cost- this is an interesting discussion. Cost of Provari with replaceable batteries compared to a Twist is really not the same long term. Say people buy 3 Twists so they have back ups, cost $27 x 3= $81 Provari The mini cost me $159.00 plus replaceable batteries which are fairly cheap. I will always have my Provari and buying new replaceable batts is not expensive for it. Once the Twist batt dies, you have to pay more than an AW IMR to get a new Twist battery. So replacing a Twist battery is more expensive than replacing a Provari battery. Now for first time VV users the Twist is cheap, but it is a battery that costs more than a Provari battery, so different types of VV units. My Twist is in the mail and I look fwd to trying it out. I still have my Provari too, so best of both worlds and I am curious how long the Twist batt life is long term. My old ego just died, was not used much, was a passthru, I only had it for about 6 months and it is dead, will no longer take a charge. Hope the Twists last longer :) bnrk

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Cost- this is an interesting discussion. Cost of Provari with replaceable batteries compared to a Twist is really not the same long term. Say people buy 3 Twists so they have back ups, cost $27 x 3= $81 Provari The mini cost me $159.00 plus replaceable batteries which are fairly cheap. I will always have my Provari and buying new replaceable batts is not expensive for it. Once the Twist batt dies, you have to pay more than an AW IMR to get a new Twist battery. So replacing a Twist battery is more expensive than replacing a Provari battery. Now for first time VV users the Twist is cheap, but it is a battery that costs more than a Provari battery, so different types of VV units. My Twist is in the mail and I look fwd to trying it out. I still have my Provari too, so best of both worlds and I am curious how long the Twist batt life is long term. My old ego just died, was not used much, was a passthru, I only had it for about 6 months and it is dead, will no longer take a charge. Hope the Twists last longer :) bnrk
How much are the batteries and charger? If I remember correctly they were very expensive when I bought mine. So add in the +-$45 charger and three batteries to your $159. How much is that? I still like my Provari, and not sorry I bought it at the time, but if I was arriving on the scene now, there is no way I would go for one of those huge and expensive devices with removable batteries and big charger.

P.S. Twist is +-$21 - $23.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
You seem to be implying that there is something intrinsically wrong with the device because it doesn't cost very much.
I think he's just saying that it's a bit early to assume they will not have issues.
I mean,there have been many things that came out that were hyped but issues cropped up down the road.

But so far, things look extremely promising.
I'm not sure how much more time they need to prove themselves.

Has anybody even HAD any issues with them yet?

Tezcatlipoca

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2012
Riverside, CA
I think he's just saying that it's a bit early to assume they will not have issues.
I mean,there have been many things that came out that were hyped but issues cropped up down the road.

But so far, things look extremely promising.
I'm not sure how much more time they need to prove themselves.

Has anybody even HAD any issues with them yet?

I'm sure you could find some threads here and there about the usual issues that come up with any PV, but I haven't seen anything that jumps out or sends up any red flags so far. I've been blowin' a lot of steam with mine for the past few weeks and I've had absolutely no issues.

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
I would imagine that somewhere along the line the Provari (not to single it out...just that it was mentioned) might break down and need to be repaired. There may also be upgrades which cost $, as there were when v2 came out. Point being, i don't believe one could (or should) purchase it and expect it to run forever with no additional expense. Just something that should be considered in the cost picture. Then too there's the unexpected...loss or theft or breakage could occur, leaving the Provari owner with no PV, and having to re-buy it, doubling their outlay. In this scenario the Twist owner's going to feel a lot less pain.
I'm not arguing one side or the other, just relaying what goes through my mind whenever the "which is cheaper long-term?" topic comes up. I tend to think that not many people are basing their choice of devices on that factor anyways. Although.....now that I think about it...how many Provari owners end up buying other additional PVs after they get their Provari? Seems like the answer is "most of 'em" :D. If it's not the only PV one owns, then they spent more than...........the quoted purchase price of a Provari, and if the Provari owner's using other PVs for any significan percentage of their total vaping time saving wear-n-tear on their Provari, doesn't that impact claims about it's longevity?

Aight, enough thinking out loud. Again, not trying to create or continue any debate. In the end it's probably all close to a wash, I'd reckon.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Although.....now that I think about it...how many Provari owners end up buying other additional PVs after they get their Provari? Seems like the answer is "most of 'em" :D. I
ME!! hehe
I returned to the vaping scene (after an absence) about 8 months ago. I bought an eGo-T a new MKSDII and then a Provari. I thought that the Provari would be the last PV purchase.... lol... needless to say, I now have at least.... don't really know. But I could fill my whole dining table if I packed and displayed them all. However, if the Twist had been available then, I doubt I would have bought all those Mods.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC

I don't own one and I probably won't get one for a while. I certainly don't think it's the be all end all of vaping. Nobody has talked about amps much but, the device seems to have limits there that won't be acceptable to some. However, given the price and the success of the ego, I can easily see this making VV standard equipment as opposed to the realm of more expensive devices. There are currently genuine Joytech 18650 egos available for $19.99. If one of those were to come out with VV capable of producing 3.5A or so for under $50, I would think the Buzz Pros and the Provari would suffer in sales.

That's not really a bad thing because it would force the mod makers to focus more on juice feeding.

AZCraig

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Mesa, AZ
www.KidneyPuncher.com
According to JoyeTech, the Twist isn't regulated the same way a Provari is.
imagedetailview.php

See how the output voltage under load drops as the number of "puffs" goes up ? Each puff drains a part of the remaining charge in the battery. As the remaining charge goes down, the unloaded voltage also goes down. The fact that the LOADED voltage is following the unloaded voltage down shows that the Twist isn't regulated as well as a Provari (or even the humble L-Rider VV aka LavaTube).

In other words, the Twist will NOT be giving you the same vaping experience from start to finish on a battery charge. The first 80% of the charge it will stay within .3 volts of the 4.8 setting but the last 20% it falls off like a rock.

A Provari set to 4.8 volts would be exactly 4.8 volts from the first vape on a battery charge to the last vape.

Spending $60 for 2 Twists ($30 for a 650mah Twist) is pretty compelling vs the $200+ you'd spend to properly get into a Provari IF you are new to vaping AND you want to minimize your initial outlay of $.

As a new vaper gets more experience, I think they are still going to end up wanting a better regulated device capable of 5.5 volts over the whole battery discharge cycle.

Side note:
I think the 650 mah Twists will be selling for between $30 to $35 as a normal non-sale price. If someone is selling these for $23 like another poster in this thread said, then that vendor is losing money.

JudeD

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2012
PA
imagedetailview.php

See how the output voltage under load drops as the number of "puffs" goes up ? Each puff drains a part of the remaining charge in the battery. As the remaining charge goes down, the unloaded voltage also goes down. The fact that the LOADED voltage is following the unloaded voltage down shows that the Twist isn't regulated as well as a Provari (or even the humble L-Rider VV aka LavaTube).

In other words, the Twist will NOT be giving you the same vaping experience from start to finish on a battery charge. The first 80% of the charge it will stay within .3 volts of the 4.8 setting but the last 20% it falls off like a rock.

A Provari set to 4.8 volts would be exactly 4.8 volts from the first vape on a battery charge to the last vape.

Spending $60 for 2 Twists ($30 for a 650mah Twist) is pretty compelling vs the $200+ you'd spend to properly get into a Provari IF you are new to vaping AND you want to minimize your initial outlay of $.

As a new vaper gets more experience, I think they are still going to end up wanting a better regulated device capable of 5.5 volts over the whole battery discharge cycle.

Side note:
I think the 650 mah Twists will be selling for between $30 to $35 as a normal non-sale price. If someone is selling these for $23 like another poster in this thread said, then that vendor is losing money.

I've seen them several places (and bought them at one) for less than $25 for the 650 and for the 1000 mah not advertised as a sale price.

JOYE EGO-C TWIST MANUAL BATTERY - BLACK (650MAH)

650 mah Twist for $20.99

JOYE EGO-C TWIST MANUAL BATTERY - BLACK (1,000MAH)

1000 mah Twist for $24.99

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut

Side note:

I think the 650 mah Twists will be selling for between $30 to $35 as a normal non-sale price. If someone is selling these for $23 like another poster in this thread said, then that vendor is losing money [???].

Repeating what I said a couple of posts ago: it still seems that a lot of people are downplaying the fact that many, many vapers like to have different-sized devices for different occasions. My friend Dan, a 42-year (ex)-smoker, takes his eGo-C with him to work, and enjoys his ProVari when he comes home. Is the Joyetech Twist a direct replacement for the ProVari? No, of course not. Criticizing it for not having the same voltage curve throughout the discharging of the battery is like criticizing a Toyota Camry, which might be someone's "daily driver" for not being able to accelerate as fast as the Dodge Viper that that same person takes out on the weekend.

Unless the voltage control knob/mechanism turns out to be problematic, I think that owners of VV APVs would do well to accept the likelihood that the Twist is a very good way to get into VV that some people will stick with for a long time, while others will add more advanced VV and/or VW devices to their arsenal, while most likely continuing to use the Twist on many occasions.

Most experienced vapers would probably be of the opinion that having a backup PV, and ideally a backup for the backup, is a very good way to minimize the risk of ever being tempted to fire up a stinkie. IMO the Twist is currently a no-brainer choice for a backup PV, and as such is also a very solid choice for the first PV for a beginner, since the money spent on it will therefore not be money wasted if and when that beginner adds a more advanced VV device to his arsenal.

Lastly, I disagree that the 650 mah Twist will be selling for $30-35 any time soon, unless it's years from now and inflation enters the picture. Health Cabin is selling it for $21.50 right now, and I have a hard time believing that they are selling it at a loss. That just doesn't ring true.

Last edited:

progg

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
If it performs reliably, the drop off will be irrelevant. It'll be a matter of carrying multiple batts. For me, a happy ProVari owner, the Twist's form factor will be a game changer. Today's, prohibitionist environment makes stealthiness a virtue.

VV ended most of my vaping frustration. If the Twist performs reliably it will make the e-cig transition smoother for newbies. And it will undoubtedly spawn further innovation.

Yup, I'm waiting for the postman.

dham340

ECF Veteran
Key point:

"if I was arriving on the scene now, there is no way I would go for one of those huge and expensive devices with removable batteries and big charger."

I think there's a lot of folks who would agree (myself included) and that's why "new" vapers may not be inclined to upgrade to high end devices in the future, thus putting pressure on high end devices for price drops.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
If it performs reliably, the drop off will be irrelevant. It'll be a matter of carrying multiple batts. For me, a happy ProVari owner, the Twist's form factor will be a game changer. Today's, prohibitionist environment makes stealthiness a virtue.

VV ended most of my vaping frustration. If the Twist performs reliably it will make the e-cig transition smoother for newbies. And it will undoubtedly spawn further innovation.

Yup, I'm waiting for the postman.

This is the same reason I am getting the Twist, for out and about days :) My Provari always stays home because I do not want to loose it or drop it, but I need a slimmer take along PV and I think the Twist will be perfect. bnrk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread