Why use PG/VG at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaptap566

Jun 3, 2010
Michigan
Hello all, first time poster, long time visitor here. After reading hundreds of pages of information about PG and VG (is it safe? what are effects?) and trying to figure out which one is right for me, I had a question pop into my head.

Why use PG or VG at all?

I have searched the best I could for information about this to no avail. Aside from blowing out "smoke" adding to the Genuine feel of a analog. Is there any reason other than that, to use it? I dont care if I blow out smoke at all, I just want my Nic fix. I hate the side effects of PG or VG. Can anyone give any insight? Is there any ejuice refills out there that have just flavoring, nicotine, and water?

Thanks!

West Florida Vapor

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2010
Tampa Bay, Florida
Hello all, first time poster, long time visitor here. After reading hundreds of pages of information about PG and VG (is it safe? what are effects?) and trying to figure out which one is right for me, I had a question pop into my head.

Why use PG or VG at all?

I have searched the best I could for information about this to no avail. Aside from blowing out "smoke" adding to the Genuine feel of a analog. Is there any reason other than that, to use it? I dont care if I blow out smoke at all, I just want my Nic fix. I hate the side effects of PG or VG. Can anyone give any insight? Is there any ejuice refills out there that have just flavoring, nicotine, and water?

Thanks!

From what I have researched, VG and PG are the perfect delivery system and have the right consistency for a couple reasons Temp that the atty will heat the liquid, water is not thick enough to hold nicotine and would just clog the atty I assume. Great question non the less.

stevo_tdo

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Missouri

Why use PG or VG at all?

Thanks!

Ehhhh, I'm a bit rusty but I'll give this a go.

Pg and or Vg are the base of the e-liquid. It service to give the atomizer something to work with and also to dilute the nicotine down. Water will do nothing at the temperatures that an atomizer operates at.

I've been vaping for over a year now. Other than the occasional dry mouth I no longer have any side effects from either pg or vg. (they weren't that serious to begin with).

However you are the only one who should decide what is right for you. There has been many many people who tolerate pg and vg just fine. Some only tolerate one or the other. It's more of a trial and error.

If you do not feel safe with either there are plenty of alternatives to tobacco smoking you can look at. If you are just worried about a nic fix with few to no carcinogens, I would suggest ariva or stonewall dissolvables. Or perhaps a good snus like discreet.

Just suggestions.

chaptap566

Jun 3, 2010
Michigan
Thanks for your input! I appreciate your suggestions for an alternative to the E cig. However I have tried many of the alternatives,(the patch, nicorette, and losenges) and I really dont like them. I enjoy the instant gratification of inhaling the nicotine. I also enjoy the variety of flavors. I wonder if there is a much safer "base" that the atty can work with, for people like me that dont necessarily need to blow out the "smoke".

stevo_tdo

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Missouri
Thanks for your input! I appreciate your suggestions for an alternative to the E cig. However I have tried many of the alternatives,(the patch, nicorette, and losenges) and I really dont like them. I enjoy the instant gratification of inhaling the nicotine. I also enjoy the variety of flavors. I wonder if there is a much safer "base" that the atty can work with, for people like me that dont necessarily need to blow out the "smoke".

Not really any other bases. Pg is about as safe as you can get. The smoking alternatives I mentioned are nothing like the over the counter drug store items.

Much better and tons of choices on flavor. I'm currently using Java flavored stonewall. and peach discreet snus.

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
I'm not sure what side effects from PG/VG you're referring to. Dry mouth? That's about as bad as it'll get unless you're allergic to PG. Then you'll get a rash. I don't know if you realize this but PG is in just about everything we consume from soft drinks to mouthwash to medicines. The effects of inhaling PG vapor has been studied since the 1940s for it's safety in industrial settings and no ill effects have been found. I really don't get what the concern is.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...able-glycerin-vg-polyethylene-glycol-peg.html

Info link for ya - not sure if anyone mentioned, its late and Im tired, but PG is used in (among many many other things) kids medicines, hospital nebulizers, and rescue inhalers for asthmatics. So if its good enough for damaged lungs...

(As for not wanting to blow out vapor - its not smoke - you can hold it in longer and theres barely any visible exhalent)

Max0819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2010
Seattle
You definitely do not need PG/VG/Peg, to inhale nicotine. Though they sure help to carry flavor, TH, and thickness, into the body.

I don't mean to sound facetious, but if you don't care about the vapor, why would you vape? :confused:

There are 'nicotine vaporizers', or inhalers around with all the nice FDA stamps you could ask for. (not my words see the links)
"New Nicotine Inhaler May Help Smokers Quit

Vapor Puffs From New Device Carry Nicotine Deep into Lung
By Daniel J. DeNoon WebMD Health News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

March 1, 2010 -- A new type of smoke-free inhaler gives would-be quitters a vapor with nearly as much nicotine as a cigarette......"

New Nicotine Inhaler May Help Smokers Quit

Nicotine Patches, Gum, and Inhalers for Quitting Smoking

Of course teh first one, makes me wonder if they've even heard of ecigs. :D

Good luck,

Max

chaptap566

Jun 3, 2010
Michigan
Thanks for your guys input. I didnt realize they had nicotine inhalers, that might be something id check into. I guess im not nearly as educated about PG/VG as many of you are. They symptoms I have with my PG (green smoke) is of course the dry mouth. It makes my eyes really itchy, it seems to really dehydrate me. I seem to get the runs a good amount more often now (nearly everyday) my most annoying complaint is that it really makes my sinus drainage extremly thick as it runs down my throat. I have to swallow like 10 times before i can clear my throat, and when I blow my nose bearly anything comes out but I can tell im really stuffed up. I realize Green Smoke has a higher PG content then most because of the amount of vapour that you blow out. Maybe Ill see if somehow I can get Blank carts from them and start making my own ejuice. Anyone know if this is a possibility?

ricky59

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
North Carolina
Thanks for your guys input. I didnt realize they had nicotine inhalers, that might be something id check into. I guess im not nearly as educated about PG/VG as many of you are. They symptoms I have with my PG (green smoke) is of course the dry mouth. It makes my eyes really itchy, it seems to really dehydrate me. I seem to get the runs a good amount more often now (nearly everyday) my most annoying complaint is that it really makes my sinus drainage extremly thick as it runs down my throat. I have to swallow like 10 times before i can clear my throat, and when I blow my nose bearly anything comes out but I can tell im really stuffed up. I realize Green Smoke has a higher PG content then most because of the amount of vapour that you blow out. Maybe Ill see if somehow I can get Blank carts from them and start making my own ejuice. Anyone know if this is a possibility?

Well I would at least try some all VG juice. I know cignot has a line of juice that is only VG. That might resolve all your issues.

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
You can try vg. It may help. However most of what you are experiancing is from smoking cessesion , not the pv necessarily. Google stop smoking symptoms , you will find that a lot of your symptoms are simply the result of stopping smoking. There are some very odd things that happen when you quit cigs,
dry throat, mouth ulcers, phlem, congestion, cold like symptoms, body aches, the list goes on and on . These occur even if you dont use a pv and quit smoking.

scootr

Jan 1, 2010
Colorado
I like the little puff of "smoke" when I exhale. makes me miss analogs just that much less... I still like to blow smoke rings. as for the side affects, I never experienced any of the dry mouth and such (been vaping since Jan) but, as my wife continuously points out, I clear my throat a lot now. I don't notice but I guess others do. But then which is more annoying? Second hand smoke? or the occasional *ahem*...

chaptap566

Jun 3, 2010
Michigan
@Mini_art Come to think of it, you could be very much right. Today is only my 16th day of being anolog free. I just thought I was over the cessesion period by now, but from what I read after you mentioned it, symptoms can last up to a month or more.

What Id really like to try is filling my own carts with Ejuice and try the VG or lower levels of PG to find what is right for me. The problem is I have a Green Smoke 2 piece Ecig. I have read somewhere that they sell blank carts to that you can add your own ejuice. The problem is I cant seem to find where to order them, they do not have them listed at their website. If anyone knows where i might get them from a link would be very much appreciated.

davidcid

Feb 25, 2010
Watertown Ma usa
@Mini_art Come to think of it, you could be very much right. Today is only my 16th day of being anolog free. I just thought I was over the cessesion period by now, but from what I read after you mentioned it, symptoms can last up to a month or more.

What Id really like to try is filling my own carts with Ejuice and try the VG or lower levels of PG to find what is right for me. The problem is I have a Green Smoke 2 piece Ecig. I have read somewhere that they sell blank carts to that you can add your own ejuice. The problem is I cant seem to find where to order them, they do not have them listed at their website. If anyone knows where i might get them from a link would be very much appreciated.
Not sure what type of thread the 2 piece greensmoke ecig is. I would assume it is a KR808 cartomizer. You should be able to find them in many of the suppliers list in this forum. Then you should look for the condom fill method to fill the blank cartos'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread