Status
Not open for further replies.

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
I hear what you are saying but let me get this straight. You (the royal you) are in an enclosed space filled, throughout the day, with little Typhoid Mary's. You know what e-cig vapor is and contains and you are still going to get visibly upset that someone accidentally (from the sound of the OP) exhaled some e-cig vapor?

You can dumb it down all you want. You'll be wrong all day.

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
I think you're perfectly fine confronting the person. I also agree these attitudes will be what hammers us all back into analogs when vaping ends up completely banned, because some just won't give a little bit. The argument of not knowing the person is just plain childish, and completely highlights the epidemic of societies me me me all about me mentality. Now I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be allowed to enjoy our own endulgences, but I can't walk down the street drinking a beer. There is a place for that behavior. I can't drive my jacked up 4x4 in my neighbors yard even though it would be a great time. (he has a huge fueld) there are places for me to that. I can't ride my motorcycle down the sidewalk or a narrow shoulder because it fits and it's faster. I'm also not saying we all just need to get along, or that we need to worry about everyone around us, but come on. Just a little respect can prevent so much other bs. Look at warning labels since they've been brought up. McDonald's coffee is hot... Duh... Because of stupid people with the lacking of comments since, we have a label warnings contents are hot. Look at desiccant packages in electronics. How many helmet wearing crayon toting people actually thought they got a candy surprise with their new clock radio? Now a label warning not to eat. Really? My point is, I think same as OP, if you can't smoke there, don't vape there. Period.

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
If you feel the need to hide something from others eyes then perhaps you shouldn't be doing it. By trying to hide it would mean that you know it is wrong to do whatever it is in the venue or situation you are in. Would you sit in the pew on a Sunday morning while your preacher was giving his sermon and blow large clouds of vapor, smoke or otherwise, no, why? Because it is disrespectful not only to the preacher but also those trying to enjoy their Sunday morning at church. And no I don't go to church but would still be respectful to others if I did.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
It's a good thing infants aren't actually very fragile or we'd have died out long ago. When I had my first kid, I was very paranoid about everything. By the time I had my 3rd I was over it. We know what's in vapor - it's nicotine, PG, VG, and flavorings. Unless you're going to keep them away from fog machines and candy until they are 18, plus anything in the nightshade family, I don't think you need to worry about it. There is probably more artificial flavoring and coloring in Pedialyte or baby Tylenol than there is in exhaled vapor.

That said what she did probably wasn't the wisest considering the political climate, but I personally would not have flipped out on her.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Wait, so your answer to keep vaping from being banned everywhere smoking is banned is to ban vaping everywhere smoking is banned??? What????
Good job at doublethink, Wilson.

Do you say something to people for using inhalers of any kind? They are also exhaling something. Who knows what someone exhaling Advair all over your kids would do.

I will give you that she was stupid, to stealth puff but not stealth blow is backwards. I was in the ER puffing without firing just to get flavor and nobody said anything.

I have no problem vaping around kids. Although when vaping around non-smokers I keep the clouds down and if I need to make clouds I step aside.
The claims of second hand smoke were a complete lie so the thought that second hand vapor is a problem is laughable. If you're worried about vapor being a danger you probably shouldn't have your kids in a medical facility during flu season (or any other time of the year).
Funny I have the opposite story with people who had a herd of germ ridden kids trying to make me sick at my doctor's office. Luckily my immune system is not only attacking me this year but quickly attacking every disease I get exposed to and I only felt sick for a few hours. At no time did I think that it was my place to inform them of their inconsideration of others and how their germ factories could end up killing one of us old people in the office.

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
Wait, so your answer to keep vaping from being banned everywhere smoking is banned is to ban vaping everywhere smoking is banned??? What????
Good job at doublethink, Wilson.

Do you say something to people for using inhalers of any kind? They are also exhaling something. Who knows what someone exhaling Advair all over your kids would do.

I will give you that she was stupid, to stealth puff but not stealth blow is backwards. I was in the ER puffing without firing just to get flavor and nobody said anything.

I have no problem vaping around kids. Although when vaping around non-smokers I keep the clouds down and if I need to make clouds I step aside.
The claims of second hand smoke were a complete lie so the thought that second hand vapor is a problem is laughable. If you're worried about vapor being a danger you probably shouldn't have your kids in a medical facility during flu season (or any other time of the year).
Funny I have the opposite story with people who had a herd of germ ridden kids trying to make me sick at my doctor's office. Luckily my immune system is not only attacking me this year but quickly attacking every disease I get exposed to and I only felt sick for a few hours. At no time did I think that it was my place to inform them of their inconsideration of others and how their germ factories could end up killing one of us old people in the office.

I think that would solve almost every argument about vaping.

Either go somewhere else just long enough to get a vape in, or don't get caught. Problem solved.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
If you feel the need to hide something from others eyes then perhaps you shouldn't be doing it. By trying to hide it would mean that you know it is wrong to do whatever it is in the venue or situation you are in. Would you sit in the pew on a Sunday morning while your preacher was giving his sermon and blow large clouds of vapor, smoke or otherwise, no, why? Because it is disrespectful not only to the preacher but also those trying to enjoy their Sunday morning at church. And no I don't go to church but would still be respectful to others if I did.

I may have to submit that the lady in question may indeed still see it fit to vape in church. IMO it is a matter of two things. The first is discretion. Discretion isn't a quantified, universal value. It will be different for just about everyone. Oddly enough, this lady either seemed to think there was no reason not to do this, or she just didn't care.

This illustrates the second matter, which is consideration. Not everyone was raised to appreciate consideration of others. Clearly I don't know this lady and she may be one heck of a person, but in this instance she was either being ignorant, or inconsiderate. I would have had to say something to her, if for no other reason than to find out which.

If the OP was put off by this (being a vaper mind you), what must the average person think while seeing the same thing?

Last edited:

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I must have missed out where the OP flipped out. Farther into the thread we go the more the story grows. Wonder why antz disinformation gets footholds so easily.

Right here:

I of course got extremely POed, and said something to the woman, how it was disrespectful with all these Infants sitting within 10 feet of her "Vaping".

MissKitty47

ECF Veteran
  • Deleted by Caridwen
  • Reason: disruption

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Yup, I read some old newspaper clippings about the millions of people found dead in their garages during the advent of the automobile. :rolleyes:

CDC - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Frequently Asked Questions

"Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning."

We know about carbone monoxide and there are still 20,000 visits to the emergency room. If you buy a generator at the store, on the label it will say Never use a generator inside homes, garages, crawlspaces, or other partly enclosed areas.

Seriously? You just tried a fact based response to that post? Good diety! You are talking about .0001 of the population. At the time of mass production of the automobile that would come out to about 90 deaths.

Last edited:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Why does it HAVE TO be proven safe? Why don't they prove that it is bad? That's what a court of law requires.

Just saying; society and its winers are getting a to much. Nothing should be done until the FDA comes with a ruling.

As to vaping in public, I can last an hour before I get my fix. In-door public places, I am discreet. Heck, bathrooms have stalls. I really avoid the vaping clouds, too.

I don't want to put a bad spin on the public's opinion.

Jere

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
Personally, my daughter of 2 yrs loves the smell of my vapes, says it smells pretty and yummy. Kinda cute.
But my middle son, now 15 was hospitalized at 4 months of age and was there for 8 months. Childrens hospital,in DC.
I would not have appreciated any one vaping, or smoking near him till he hit the double digits in age and was old enough to move to another location if the smoke bothered him.

Luckily my daughter is a healthy thriving lil young lady. But it was very stressful for me with my son. Not knowing what caused his illness and the fear and stress of it happening again. I was told his heart could suddenly stop for any unknown reason.

We likely wont know any negative side effects of vaping for another 10 or so years. Much like many medications we are put on, years later they come back and say oh, thats not good for you. Oops.

Point is regardless if its ok or not , safe or not, i feel people/children should be treated with respect especially if they are unable to remove themselves from the environment.

This is my opinion only.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    So which is it? I get offended merely being in the presence of other humans. What, with the CO2 emissions, the flatulence, halitosis, colds, flu's and any other number of personal space invaders. I also get offended that someone does not simply have enough will power to not shop at Walmart.

Just because you don't like walmart doesn't mean that you have to put it down... for some that is the ONLY store for MILES around. Personally I'd rather have walmart clothes than crappy $60+ shirts that last only a few wearings before it is torn to :evil: and back. Just saying.:vapor:

Back on topic: I don't think blowing clouds everywhere is very proactive, it'll just tick off the ignorant and the considerate vapers. Every time we go shopping, we put away our PV's. We are allowed to vape at our gas station but it still feels rude so we don't.

I also don't think fussing loudly at someone being rude enough to blow clouds around others children is very proactive either. Maybe quietly asking them to stop first is better? Then if they start being a .... then say something more... well... to your liking.

This is all just my :2c:. No offense is intended and I truly am sorry if you feel so.:)

Last edited:

Baldr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    I just think it's crazy how disrespectful some people get with the whole "It's not a real cigarette, so I can smoke it when and where I want".

You still think it's smoking, and you still think it should be treated like smoking. But it's not smoking. It doesn't have the same health issues, or the smell.

I don't care for the way the lady did it in your story. A pediatricians office is out of line, IMO. But as long as you think of it as "You're smoking, go away!" then it's really hard to take you serious.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread