Why Vaping won't ever convert the masses (of smokers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    @GeorgeS: I don't think others including myself could vape VG with nicotine and nothing else. Anything higher than 80% VG taste like vaping vegetable oil to me. Did you know vegetable oil was invented to be used as a diesel oil? Today people cook with it. :(

:banana: To each their own. I vape 100-120ml of the stuff every month. It does not taste anything like vegetable oil to me. :thumbs: Of course there is nothing stopping someone from adding a few drops of flavoring. The point being is that it is VERY EASY to have very very inexpensive juice. :thumb: Making 50/50 VG/PG costs about the same.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    @GeorgeS: I don't think others including myself could vape VG with nicotine and nothing else. Anything higher than 80% VG taste like vaping vegetable oil to me. Did you know vegetable oil was invented to be used as a diesel oil? Today people cook with it. :(

A lot more than you would think vape unflavored or use just a hint of flavoring in their e-liquid, even with flavoring it can be relatively inexpensive if you are making your own, mine with flavor is under $1.00/30ml. Not sure about the vegetable oil to vegetable glycerin comparison, or why you would ever be getting an oily taste? Vegetable glycerin has a sweet taste which is why it is use widely in the food industry as a sweetener and nicotine can have a peppery to no flavor to it.

I do think society as a whole is pretty much plug and play now, but I also think in this techy age more people are more open to learning new electronics... as long as the learning curve is not too steep.
    I do hope some day not too far down the road vaping will become a more mainstream acceptable replacement for smoking but the face of vaping will chance a lot before that ever happens.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    A lot more than you would think vape unflavored or use just a hint of flavoring in their e-liquid, even with flavoring it can be relatively inexpensive if you are making your own, mine with flavor is under $1.00/30ml.
    How much did you have to throw away before you got it right? That is my biggest concern, 90% garbage and 10% barely vapable.

Not sure about the vegetable oil to vegetable glycerin comparison, or why you would ever be getting an oily taste? Vegetable glycerin has a sweet taste which is why it is use widely in the food industry as a sweetener and nicotine can have a peppery to no flavor to it.
    As far as I know, I am the only one who tastes vegetable oil with VG. I do taste the sweetness too, but not the good kind of sweetness. It is hard to explain. After I was tasting vegetable oil with high VG juices, I looked it up. And guess what? VG (vegetable glycerin) is vegetable oil with the fatty acids removed.

I do think society as a whole is pretty much plug and play now, but I also think in this techy age more people are more open to learning new electronics... as long as the learning curve is not too steep.
    I do hope some day not too far down the road vaping will become a more mainstream acceptable replacement for smoking but the face of vaping will chance a lot before that ever happens.
    I do hope you are right.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Wow! How do you vape equivalent of 2000 smokes for just 10 bucks? I spent about $250 a month for the first 6 months on vaping. Hell one of my favorite juices is 50 bucks per 120ml and that only last a month while I mostly vape the cheap 15 buck per 120ml for most of the day.
    My DIY costs 8 cents a day, $30 a year.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    What are these 30 bucks worth of DIY supplies that last you a year?
    That's a good question. There's no way to spend just 30$ and get a years worth of e-liquid. It's understandable why you would be curious about that. To get the cost way down you need to spend a little money investing in supplies. Buy in bulk.
    1 Gallon Veg Glycerin + 1 Gallon Propylene Glycol - FREE US SHIPPING the cost per 30 ml bottle if you buy the two gallon free shipping deal is .17 cents.

if you purchase your nicotine by the liter, it can be had for as little as 40-50$ if you catch a sale. say I want 6 mg/ml liquid, that would require 1.8 ml of 100 mg/ml nicotine solution. The cost of that 1.8 ml at 50$ a liter is just .09 cents. total cost of the e-liquid before flavoring= .26 cents. That is less than one cent per ml :)

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    Vapers Tek TH was $25/liter of 100mg last time I ordered 3L w/free shipping - they seem to be out ATM
    The last Glycube (4 gal from ED) cost me $76.15

My 70VG 20% flavoring 3mg DIY costs me about $20/Liter
    I haven't done the math on my 10% Flavor 3mg 5% saline Max VG but I'd guess it's about the same

20ml-25ml/day = ~$150-$180/yr.
    Mrs. Mowgli vapes 2ml/day = $15/year
    We used to smoke $600/month total
    $200/yr vs $7200 = I can buy whatever gear I want & still pay the bills

Vaping is as much cheaper as you want it to be if you're willing to learn & do

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    I'm busy doing all that too, but I learned battery safety when I got my first mech. To say that today's mods are just another consumer good, casually used is only to make excuses for those who the bad things happen to. That they do not care I will agree with. Sadly not caring can cost you a lot.

You were Here by that time. You had plenty of knowledge available ant at your fingertips. Discussions with others and plenty of others threads on Devices.
    Most Vapers today have no clue ECF exist. ;)

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    As far as I know, I am the only one who tastes vegetable oil with VG. I do taste the sweetness too, but not the good kind of sweetness. It is hard to explain. After I was tasting vegetable oil with high VG juices, I looked it up. And guess what? VG (vegetable glycerin) is vegetable oil with the fatty acids removed.

Not so much:
    Glycerin, also known as glycerol, is an organic compound of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen with the chemical formula C3H8O3. It is produced industrially, usually as a by-product of soap manufacture, from oils and fats. It can be made from animal fat or, in the case of vegetable glycerin, vegetable oil. The source of the raw material does not affect the chemistry of the final product, but, since glycerin is widely used in foods and medications, this distinction is important for vegetarians. It is also used as a sweetener and as an ingredient in a number of cosmetic products.

Structure and Properties
    The compound consists of a chain of three carbon atoms, to which are attached hydrogen atoms on one side and hydroxyl (OH) groups on the other. The three OH groups form hydrogen bonds between molecules, giving the compound a syrup-like viscosity and allowing it to dissolve easily in water. Chemically speaking, glycerin is an alcohol, but for food purposes, it is classed — in the USA — as a carbohydrate by the Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA), because it provides calories and is not a fat or a protein.
    What you suffer is mental imaging. You imagine it is from Vegetables and is oily in nature so it must be modified vegetable oil. :cool:

Do you taste the Potato in Vodka?o_O

*As to Cost - if you Vaped anything like you smoked you would be saving a fortune. Luxury flavoring(not available in cigarettes) and choice to Vape heavily are for your enjoyment and likely mostly unnecessary.

120Ml in top shelf tanks would last me 6 days. In a Carto tank - 6 weeks or longer:closedeyes:
    Choices.

Reactions: beckdg

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    Vapers Tek TH was $25/liter of 100mg last time I ordered 3L w/free shipping - they seem to be out ATM

I haven't done the math on my 10% Flavor 3mg 5% saline Max VG but I'd guess it's about the same

I just did the math for my 10% Flavor 3mg 5% saline Max VG
    My bad, it only costs me 85¢ for a 60ml bottle or $14.08 per liter
    My 20% flavor 3mg 70VG costs a whopping $18.54 per liter (1.85¢/ml)

Glad I sorted that. I thought I was getting extravagant for a minute there.
    $102-$128/year sounds so much more reasonable that I'm going to vape an extra milliliter tomorrow.

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    I just did the math for my 10% Flavor 3mg 5% saline Max VG
    My bad, it only costs me 85¢ for a 60ml bottle or $14.08 per liter
    My 20% flavor 3mg 70VG costs a whopping $18.54 per liter (1.85¢/ml)

Glad I sorted that. I thought I was getting extravagant for a minute there.
    $102-$128/year sounds so much more reasonable that I'm going to vape an extra milliliter tomorrow.

:D

vvvvv My banner vvvvv

I do my best to spend every penny.

It's hard work with 5 codependents helping me vape away my budget. Couldn't do it alone though.

Tapatyped

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I like making up 'starter kits' for friends who are still smoking. The idea being is that they may never wish to gamble the ~$50 on a proper kit to try it out so I gather together inexpensive parts from the far east into kits that I give them to try.
    Interesting to note that sometime around 5/1/16 I noticed FastTech not listing a bunch of "styled" stuff anymore. Thankfully the stuff for my kit was already on its way.
    I was happily surprised that the little 20W VV/VW box mods I picked out would actually fire below 1.0ohm - just at reduced voltage or power settings. Cool beans. This opens up more options to get them started. The first one I tried even had/has a full charge!
    Really can't get much more "plug and play" than this. Simply pull the single included atomizer, flood it with 50/50/0mg juice, blow out the excess and reinstall in tank, fill tank with 1ml of same juice, assemble it all together on the mod, adjust air flow and start vaping.

Vaping really does not need to be any more complicated than the above. (unless of course you want it to be) I may even keep one for myself as a backup in the car's glove box.

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2013
    Uranus
    Some of this is off-topic, but I wish to add to the conversation.....

Smoking cigarettes was SO MUCH EASIER than vaping. There, I said it. However, at a shop in which I do a lot of work on-site, I get to witness smoking on a routine basis. It reminds me of the reasons I started vaping. 1. Having to step outside. 2. Catching the scent of clothes that smell of dirty ashtrays.
    3. Hearing smoker's cough. 4. Seeing smokers with not so white teeth.

With smoking, I had 4 things- 1. RYO tobacco. 2. Rolling machine. 3. Tubes. 4. Lighter. THAT'S IT. Eventually, these 4 items have been substituted for seemingly 400 items. Smoking turned into, at least for me, a complex, full time hobby that takes up virtually ALL of my spare time. I don't spend a ton of money on vaping as I DIY my vaporizers & e-liquid. But that is where all my spare time goes- into vaping projects.

I am constantly thinking about things I can do to enhance the vaping experience, such as tweaking a recipe, trying a recipe, polishing an older mod, etc........... One Sunday when I decided to change the coil resistance on my mods, it took ALL DAY, since I have 15 devices I use regularly. SMH....... :facepalm:

Do I want to smoke again? -NO WAY. NEVER AGAIN. As for making things so complicated, that is totally on me. But the route I have taken has tackled the impossible task of quitting smoking. :)

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2014
    Here's the thing.

You'll flame me. You'll say TL;DR...

But there's a number of points I need to get off my chest...

I love vaping, by the way. I still have the occasional analog (crazy term but still). I've recently got into sub-ohm vaping because:

1. My ....ty ego batts and clearomisers were just, well, crap.
    2. I 'accidentally' bought a Kanger Subox Mini

So as you see, I never planned for subohm, I just got a box mod as basically a better vaping device, as someone who might upgrade from a Ford Focus to a BMW 3 series.

Then problems started occurring, which made me realize that for all the bad longevity of the ego, they were, at least, maintenance-free. Now I was trying to fix leaks, taking pieces apart, re-wicking coils. I needed to set aside a mini workshop in my home just for the maintenance. To the forums, I thought. Surely no-one else has to put in this much effort just to vape, right?

Wrong. You all do, but more surprisingly, you all seem to love it. Rather like if you drive a car, as most of us do, but have little technical knowledge about it, and how we occasionally venture to a car forum. You'll often hear people saying "oh it's the rear axle manifold, but it's easy to do yourself. You just blah, blah, blah". Fine if you have the time, an empty garage, etc, etc. Fine if you love fixing up cars, right.

But with smoking, I never 'loved' smoking, not the concept at least. I just had to smoke. I didn't go around with paraphanlia dedicated to smoking, prosletyzing ways of keeping tobacco fresher or going to smoking conventions. I just smoked. Now of course 'some' smokers are like this, but the majority aren't.

Vaping, sadly, is a steep learning curve for the non-initiated, and whereas I expect most of you to disagree with me, I feel there is a silent majority who may stumble across boards like this, read diagrams of how to convert pi's theorum of fibonacci numbers so you get the right balance between 'balancing your ohms' and causing the device to blow a hole in your face (more on that in a bit), that I bet most people who have lives, but who happen to smoke in them, just think, "erm... okay. I think I'll stick with smoking then".

When I tell friends that I've managed to give up, but talk about RBAs and introducing liquid into Japanese Cotton through a dropper, they glaze over and say "wow, you must really love vaping then". Thing is I don't. I wanted something to replace regular cigarettes, not a 24/7 craft hobby.

My fear is, even though most of you will vehemently defend your love of tinkering, eternally pursuing that perfect 'hit', I am right in saying that a lot of people will just find it too much effort, that even a working piece of kit will fail after a few weeks unless you learn about maintenance, cleaning and a lot of stuff I could do without.

Then there's the whole safety thing...

I preached for months to friends (and even strangers) that were smokers and non-smokers alike, telling them there was this new thing that allowed you to feel like you were smoking but was PERFECTLY SAFE. There were a lot of nay-sayers, let me tell you, but I won through for the most part in that I argued that however bad these eliquids could be, could they really be worse than the contents of a real cigarette (or analog, w/e)?

Unfortunately it was never the liquid we should have feared. It was the hardware.

The fundamental problem with all e-cigarettes, the ones that 'do the job' correctly, the flaw that will always be the thorn in it's size.

...is China.

You may call me racist, I have nothing against the Chinese. But let's put the cards on the table. They aren't known globally for their standards. You read stories every day about people dying over there, or being horrifically injured by machinery that has failed or gone awry due to their poor (or non-existant) safety standards.

All the box mods, it appears, without exception (please someone tell me I'm wrong. PLEASE!) are made in China.

So then I was on another forum, or maybe it was this one, I don't know, and someone posted a list of e-cigarette accidents...

Now bear in mind this isn't like "singed an eyebrow" type ..... This is like scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, scrolling through events and then realizing you are still in April 2016, casually looking at the scroll bar on the right, not being able to see it, then seeing a pixel-wide line, still close to the top of the screen.

But not all these incidents are bad, right? For this list to be so long. Right?

Kinda. It reads sorta like.

1. 3rd degree burns on leg, scarred for life
    2. 3rd degree burns on arm, scarred for life
    3. Entire front teeth blown out, scarred for life.

Ah but that's not too bad right

4. Child loses eye while staff DEMONSTRATE an ecig to him at a mall.

HE'S NOT EVEN BOUGHT THE ....ING THING YET!

Aha, but before you rebut, I already know what you're going to say. It will echo the comments that usually follow news stories like this.

"Ah yeah but I bet he was using a calibrated mechanical with a dripper with a non-compatible 510 without calculating his ohm resistance using pythagoras' equation of Lancelot's Diversion and failed to think about the solar flare activity that day. ....ing noob."

Yeah he probably was. ....ing noob is right. In fact is there another hobby that people can just wander into, with so many self-proclaimed experts, that can be so cruel to the uninitiated? Failing DIY base-jumping, that is?

The point I'm trying to make is if vaping now is so fraught with potential danger, and it's necessary to have a certain amount (oh, who are we kidding, quite a reasonable amount) of knowledge about the subject, what not to do, etc, then how can it hope to attract smokers that weren't tobacco-fetishists, you know, the normal, everyday people who just happened to smoke.

I mean I used to enjoy smoking most when I was drunk. Now I can't dare vape if I'm drunk. What if I need to change a coil mid-way? Well not too much, as I have that 'reasonable' degree of knowledge. But what about first-timers? Maybe those bomb disposal outfits that armies have should come with?

But the worst thing has to be the elitism I've found amongst the most hard-core vapers on forums. They will offer no sympathy to the uninitiated, and resent people who just want to get on with things without any effort (you know, like regular smoking) and try to either tell them they should invest more of their time to achieve what used to be so simple, and then shunning said questioner if they point out that they don't have the time, the willpower, etc.

Oh yeah, when I bought my Subox, the site in question said on the order page "this doesn't come with a battery... it needs THIS battery... would you like to buy THIS battery from us as well as the boxmod?"

I said "sure, why not". It came. I charged it. I used it. Then there was a product recall about two weeks later. "Buy this one from us" they now said. "okay, I said".

They sent me an E Fest 18650. You know, the kind that are now generally known as being slightly more stable than carrying around a pack of C4 in a bag full of hammers...

So yeah, had to become an expert in batteries now too. Just so I could scour forums, spend hours on search engines trying to find which battery wouldn't take a limb from me, or knock a six inch hole into my neighbor's house. No really. I'm loving this new hobby.

In fact I'm looking forward to the next part. Maybe my tanks are leaking because they're plastic? .... it, lemme learn glass blowing and I'll make my own Pyrex ones. Ultimately there'll be no time for anything but this, I may as well quit my job.

Or, as new initiates will find, simply go back to smoking...

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2014
    Here's the thing.

You'll flame me. You'll say TL;DR...

But there's a number of points I need to get off my chest...

I love vaping, by the way. I still have the occasional analog (crazy term but still). I've recently got into sub-ohm vaping because:

1. My ....ty ego batts and clearomisers were just, well, crap.
    2. I 'accidentally' bought a Kanger Subox Mini

So as you see, I never planned for subohm, I just got a box mod as basically a better vaping device, as someone who might upgrade from a Ford Focus to a BMW 3 series.

Then problems started occurring, which made me realize that for all the bad longevity of the ego, they were, at least, maintenance-free. Now I was trying to fix leaks, taking pieces apart, re-wicking coils. I needed to set aside a mini workshop in my home just for the maintenance. To the forums, I thought. Surely no-one else has to put in this much effort just to vape, right?

Wrong. You all do, but more surprisingly, you all seem to love it. Rather like if you drive a car, as most of us do, but have little technical knowledge about it, and how we occasionally venture to a car forum. You'll often hear people saying "oh it's the rear axle manifold, but it's easy to do yourself. You just blah, blah, blah". Fine if you have the time, an empty garage, etc, etc. Fine if you love fixing up cars, right.

But with smoking, I never 'loved' smoking, not the concept at least. I just had to smoke. I didn't go around with paraphanlia dedicated to smoking, prosletyzing ways of keeping tobacco fresher or going to smoking conventions. I just smoked. Now of course 'some' smokers are like this, but the majority aren't.

Vaping, sadly, is a steep learning curve for the non-initiated, and whereas I expect most of you to disagree with me, I feel there is a silent majority who may stumble across boards like this, read diagrams of how to convert pi's theorum of fibonacci numbers so you get the right balance between 'balancing your ohms' and causing the device to blow a hole in your face (more on that in a bit), that I bet most people who have lives, but who happen to smoke in them, just think, "erm... okay. I think I'll stick with smoking then".

When I tell friends that I've managed to give up, but talk about RBAs and introducing liquid into Japanese Cotton through a dropper, they glaze over and say "wow, you must really love vaping then". Thing is I don't. I wanted something to replace regular cigarettes, not a 24/7 craft hobby.

My fear is, even though most of you will vehemently defend your love of tinkering, eternally pursuing that perfect 'hit', I am right in saying that a lot of people will just find it too much effort, that even a working piece of kit will fail after a few weeks unless you learn about maintenance, cleaning and a lot of stuff I could do without.

Then there's the whole safety thing...

I preached for months to friends (and even strangers) that were smokers and non-smokers alike, telling them there was this new thing that allowed you to feel like you were smoking but was PERFECTLY SAFE. There were a lot of nay-sayers, let me tell you, but I won through for the most part in that I argued that however bad these eliquids could be, could they really be worse than the contents of a real cigarette (or analog, w/e)?

Unfortunately it was never the liquid we should have feared. It was the hardware.

The fundamental problem with all e-cigarettes, the ones that 'do the job' correctly, the flaw that will always be the thorn in it's size.

...is China.

You may call me racist, I have nothing against the Chinese. But let's put the cards on the table. They aren't known globally for their standards. You read stories every day about people dying over there, or being horrifically injured by machinery that has failed or gone awry due to their poor (or non-existant) safety standards.

All the box mods, it appears, without exception (please someone tell me I'm wrong. PLEASE!) are made in China.

So then I was on another forum, or maybe it was this one, I don't know, and someone posted a list of e-cigarette accidents...

Now bear in mind this isn't like "singed an eyebrow" type ..... This is like scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, scrolling through events and then realizing you are still in April 2016, casually looking at the scroll bar on the right, not being able to see it, then seeing a pixel-wide line, still close to the top of the screen.

But not all these incidents are bad, right? For this list to be so long. Right?

Kinda. It reads sorta like.

1. 3rd degree burns on leg, scarred for life
    2. 3rd degree burns on arm, scarred for life
    3. Entire front teeth blown out, scarred for life.

Ah but that's not too bad right

4. Child loses eye while staff DEMONSTRATE an ecig to him at a mall.

HE'S NOT EVEN BOUGHT THE ....ING THING YET!

Aha, but before you rebut, I already know what you're going to say. It will echo the comments that usually follow news stories like this.

"Ah yeah but I bet he was using a calibrated mechanical with a dripper with a non-compatible 510 without calculating his ohm resistance using pythagoras' equation of Lancelot's Diversion and failed to think about the solar flare activity that day. ....ing noob."

Yeah he probably was. ....ing noob is right. In fact is there another hobby that people can just wander into, with so many self-proclaimed experts, that can be so cruel to the uninitiated? Failing DIY base-jumping, that is?

The point I'm trying to make is if vaping now is so fraught with potential danger, and it's necessary to have a certain amount (oh, who are we kidding, quite a reasonable amount) of knowledge about the subject, what not to do, etc, then how can it hope to attract smokers that weren't tobacco-fetishists, you know, the normal, everyday people who just happened to smoke.

I mean I used to enjoy smoking most when I was drunk. Now I can't dare vape if I'm drunk. What if I need to change a coil mid-way? Well not too much, as I have that 'reasonable' degree of knowledge. But what about first-timers? Maybe those bomb disposal outfits that armies have should come with?

But the worst thing has to be the elitism I've found amongst the most hard-core vapers on forums. They will offer no sympathy to the uninitiated, and resent people who just want to get on with things without any effort (you know, like regular smoking) and try to either tell them they should invest more of their time to achieve what used to be so simple, and then shunning said questioner if they point out that they don't have the time, the willpower, etc.

Oh yeah, when I bought my Subox, the site in question said on the order page "this doesn't come with a battery... it needs THIS battery... would you like to buy THIS battery from us as well as the boxmod?"

I said "sure, why not". It came. I charged it. I used it. Then there was a product recall about two weeks later. "Buy this one from us" they now said. "okay, I said".

They sent me an E Fest 18650. You know, the kind that are now generally known as being slightly more stable than carrying around a pack of C4 in a bag full of hammers...

So yeah, had to become an expert in batteries now too. Just so I could scour forums, spend hours on search engines trying to find which battery wouldn't take a limb from me, or knock a six inch hole into my neighbor's house. No really. I'm loving this new hobby.

In fact I'm looking forward to the next part. Maybe my tanks are leaking because they're plastic? .... it, lemme learn glass blowing and I'll make my own Pyrex ones. Ultimately there'll be no time for anything but this, I may as well quit my job.

Or, as new initiates will find, simply go back to smoking...

The main crux of your argument/s seem to be that vaping requires too much effort, either in actual physical labor or mental labor in the brief time required for using a search engine and reading information.

When I first began into vaping it was by way of the Njoy cig-a-likes. These did not seem satisfactory to me. My wife took about fifteen minutes to look some stuff up, go buy me an eGo kit with an RGM2 evod style tank. These were a great deal better imho than the cig-a-likes, they had longer battery life, could be refilled easily with juice.

It was at this point I became more interested in vaping. I began to look up info on extending how long the batteries could be used. I read about higher resistance coils firing at lower voltage/wattage. I then found a variable voltage eGo style battery and started examining these bits called heads. It was not long after this I began reading about rebuilding the coils in the heads, here at ECF.

I also learned how to properly clean the heads to extend the life of coils. It took me maybe five minutes to learn two or three different methods. I use a simple vodka bath, rinse, dry burn and vape method. Others might boil their coil head assemblies in a pan of water on the stove. To boil water takes approximately 3-10 minutes depending on your elevation, barometric pressure and other various trivial factors in this thing called life.

And you can load a pan of water with 20-100 head assemblies, put a wooden spoon over the rim of the pan, walk away and go live for a bit. Your water will not boil over using the wooden spoon trick, it's an old and common bit of kitchen wise tales, knowledge. It takes maybe a minute to learn. Then, you've boiled and cleaned your heads in say 10 to 15 minutes after you drain off the water and put them on a towel or paper towels to air dry.

Usually, a good way to keep ahead doing this is to use the five pack method. I'll rotate out heads, one can go for about two weeks until it needs cleaned. Swap with a new head, put the old on into the vodka bath. Two weeks later pull the one in the bath out, rinse it, dry fire it, you've a clean 'new' head to swap with the now 'old' one. If you use a low end variety of evod tanks you'll find they all share fairly inexpensive universal heads. The five packs run about $5 and it takes maybe 2 minutes to order them from a good vendor.

If you're keeping track, I can come up with maybe 45 minutes to an hour to learn about the eGo and evod type of tank kits. Then, maybe tack on 5 minutes to learn using one in hand. So, I'll figure roughly an hour to learn these. Refilling the tanks usually runs 1 or 2 minutes each time. I moderately vape so a 2.5mL tank could last me 3 days roughly. I may need to swap batteries, taking another 1-2 minutes to put the 'old' battery on to charge, twisting the 'new' & freshly charged battery unto the evod. Granted, 1 to 2 minutes compared to 1 minute to pull a cigarette out and light it up seems excessive. Given the harm reduction of vaping though, I think it equals out.

As for learning about suboHm kits, well, that took me about an hour to grasp the basics. There's all kinds of information about Ohm's law not just on ECF. There's also lots of information on battery safety, not just on ECF. Usually, it only takes 1 to 5 minutes to read something regarding help, advice, warning on suboHm vaping. It took me the hour for the basics because like most I had been scared by media's love of shock and misery tales, decided upon being very cautious.

I use various references on the web and off, charts, reminder texts for suboHm vaping. Building a coil takes me oh, 2-5 minutes. I need about that long to grab nail nips on a magnet tacked to my computer case, my little mandrel in the plastic box of my tiny build kit, my 28 gauge kanthal spool. It took maybe 10 minutes to order this gear. I got the mandrel with the squonk kit I tried. It was a suboHm & mechanical mod. It took me around 15 minutes to learn enough saftey, basics about both using a mech and building dual coil set ups.

All totaled, I'd say about 3 hours of learning can give you a solid foundation regarding vaping. As to the physical labor of building coils, changing batteries I kind of overlook that as for me the harm reduction benefits outweigh the few minutes spent here and there to ensure I can keep vaping. You might say I spend on average 5-10 minutes every 3 days or so on the little trivial physical labor, around 30 minutes a week, if that.

Ultimately though, if your argument is that it is too much work, fine. Go on back to smoking cigarettes. No skin off my nose. I won't go back to cigarettes myself. I do enjoy vaping because it provides harm reduction, is pleasant compared to cigarettes what are so dirty and foul to bodies. Everyone can happily go on doing what makes them happy. I won't bother converting you but by the same token, don't try converting me either. ( In this I'm not directing at you specifically, rather the general you, or anyone. )

Do I care if masses of smokers become vapers?

It would be great if vaping could save masses of lives. :) I would love it if smokers came to vaping and stayed, in droves. It is their choice though and I'm not going to assert dominance over that choice. You can bring a horse to water but never make it drink.

What is right for you is right for you because it's right for you. What's right for me is right for me because it's right for me. So, while I care, I also care to not make someone else's choices or have my own made for me.

devilzrox

Apr 28, 2016
    Smoking cigarettes was SO MUCH EASIER than vaping. There, I said it. However, at a shop in which I do a lot of work on-site, I get to witness smoking on a routine basis. It reminds me of the reasons I started vaping. 1. Having to step outside. 2. Catching the scent of clothes that smell of dirty ashtrays.
    3. Hearing smoker's cough. 4. Seeing smokers with not so white teeth.

Sadly that remains the same, at least here in the UK. Everyone who wasn't forced to prevent indoor vaping has since done so of their own accord.

So you still have to go outside, and without being blessed with a Californian climate, it rains a lot. As you know a soggy cigarette still works, whereas a vaping device, not really (besides how dangerous it is to get them wet).

Main issue is that most of the people who smoked in the 1990s/early 2000s were women, and since the ban most just quit outright, content that their smartphone can replace those dirty little tubes, as selfies are the new cool, dontcha know? So the only people left outside (again in non-descript ex-industrial town in UK, I'm not talking progressive London here) tend to be old-school thugs, puffing away. You know, the kind that think coughing up blood just makes you more of a man. And there's me with my pretty vaping device. First you get the stares, then comments like "oh you're one of those, eh? My wife has one in pink" or "real thing too much for ya, bro?" or just stifled laughter as they whisper a comment between themselves, having already decided your main profession is meeting other men in public toilets.

Also I have a weird quirk with vaping... It's not a problem, it's just the one thing different from when I smoked analogues. I normally only vape when I am drinking (drinking anything, soda, coffee, alcohol). When I smoked analogues whilst out at a bar (since the ban), I would have to leave my drink inside, and go out for a quick ciggie. With vaping, it seems, I get no joy out of it when it isn't accompanied with anything... feels weird, but I still do it nevertheless. Maybe it's because I use the drink to pace how much I vape, rather like how an analogue would be finite. I usually just vape a good hard couple of drags now, then I'm done (especially if it's raining and I'm trying not to get it wet).

Reactions: DC2
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread