Why was the year 2007 picked in the proposed FDA regulations?

Discussion in 'FDA Regulations' started by 5bucks, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. 5bucks

5bucks Senior Member Verified Member

I presume some company that had a product out pre-2008 has paid someone off but can someone fill me in on the details?

Thanks

2. Painter_

Painter_ Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I may be totally off here but I think it is when the FDA was granted the power to regulate tobacco.

3. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I've seen the answer before, but I don't remember what that answer was right now.
    But I do know it's not the answer you are thinking it is.

4. WorksForMe

WorksForMe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    IIRC, it was the date that the tobacco control act bill was first was introduced in Congress.

J.R.

5. DC2

Supporting member
    That's what I was thinking too, but that's not it...

[TABLE="class: infobox, width: 28"]
    [TR]
    [TH="colspan: 2, align: center"]Legislative history[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

6. WorksForMe

Supporting member
    I believe it was first introduced 2/15/07.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/s625/text

J.R.

7. JerryRM

JerryRM ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Maybe it's because in 2007, e-cigs were not good quality, not like the choices that we have today. They were pre-filled carts, on cigalike batteries, no flavors, except "tobacco".

That alone, should kill the demand for e-cigs and I have no doubt that is what the FDA is hoping will happen.

8. DC2

Supporting member
    There you go, that is the answer.
    :thumb:

9. WorksForMe

Supporting member
    As far as I know, there were no ecigs being marketed in the USA before 2/15/07. That means all ecigs will have to go through the very costly new product registration process.

J.R.

10. stevegmu

stevegmu ECF Guru ECF Veteran

I don't see any issues. The only e-cigs I have are NJOY kings, which I use from time to time. My ProVari are regulated power delivery systems...

11. JerryRM

JerryRM ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I see your point, but will the FDA? Not likely.

12. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

13. dragonpuff

dragonpuff Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Over the river and through the woods, Western NY
    On a related note:

What does everyone think the likelihood is of the grandfather date actually being moved forward to account for changes in regulation?

14. 5bucks

5bucks Senior Member Verified Member

Thanks folks. Guess I was too cynical and jumped to the wrong conclusions.

15. Kent C

It would have to be by Congress (they'd have to amend the act) and under the current situation in the Senate - I'd say it had 0% of being changed unless Zeller would see the light - unlikely - to put in his bid to congress for it. Even then, I think it couldn't get through committee.

16. WorksForMe

Supporting member
    I don’t see that happening unless the FDA is under a lot of pressure from somewhere. Leaving all of the existing ecigs on the market unmolested is the last thing they want.

J.R.

17. dragonpuff

Yeah, our chronically inactive congress isn't going to be very helpful :sleep: seeing as how the deeming regulations are set to go into effect next year it's unlikely that, under any circumstances, congress will vote on it by then...

18. Kent C

It's still unclear exactly when the final rule will come down - some predictions are that it won't be for a while. And it could be after the next election, in which case there would be a possibility of a change in one chamber that might allow an amendment before the regulations are put into effect. Of course, it could be amended even after it's put into effect, but many things would have to happen for that to come about, imo.

For one thing, within the '24 month' period, cigarette sales could continue to plummet and ecig sales could skyrocket and the results could show up in some polls that the smoking population could drop to, say 15% or lower, and that it could be attributed to ecigarettes :) .... THEN... there may be some who have opposed ecigarettes but were not part of an ideological group who want no cigarettes OR ecigarettes, where the former group could sway the vote to amendment. Again - not likely - but given those conditions, a probability.

19. dragonpuff

I got that date from the FDA website saying that the regulations are supposed to go into effect in June of next year... of course, given the way the FDA functions it very well could be pushed far ahead.

I do hope you're right, that it will be put off enough to see cigarette sales drop and e-cigarette sales rise... AND to see reduced death rates from smoking, and numerous physician reports stating that their vaping patients have vastly improved their health, and then the FDA will see the error of their ways :D that would sure be swell! :D This does give me hope :)

Or perhaps, we will have a more effective congress in 2016 who puts the needs of the people before that of their pocketbooks and votes on legislation for the greater good of all... wait, scratch that, it will never happen! :laugh:

20. Kent C

Actually it (greater good) is what is being used to justify the attack on ecigs. Listen to Zeller (and Harkin and Rockefeller et. al.) - for him it is the greater number of smokers who he thinks want to quit that justifies the deeming. If we had a congress that would uphold the rights of individuals to be free to do what they want so long as no one is harmed, we'd be good. But that is what might never happen :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.