Why won’t they just WORK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
No denying that the 510 can be a twitchy lil bahstahd! Especially when you start dorking with it.. then it seems like you can't stop.

A few weeks ago I got a M702 for jollies. Gotta tell you... that thing just works. But... you have to refill it often, and the PCC has a glitch. So there ya go.. fiddling.

I've got a KR808D-1. A really simple solution. The things that typically go wrong with a PV... ya just throw em out! But.... I've gone through 2 PCC's. The button on one of my manual batteries is twitchy. The cartomizers are sometimes a crap-shoot on flavor and vapor delivery. Sometimes you can refill them a bunch of times... sometimes... not. Bah!

The wife on the other hand..... she's got a 901. It's not a vapor monster or anything like that... but it generally works. She doesn't fill or drip or anything like that. Once a week or so she asks me to buy her some new 901 pre-filled cartridges and she just vapes them. She might refill a cartridge once or twice.... but that's it. Then she throws them away. And after 6 weeks she has an atty that she is either going to discard, or ask me to clean. In other words, she is kinda using them the way they were designed to be used. And she's getting pretty decent results.

In the overall scheme of things, the PV market is really in its infancy and these things are pretty archaic. I know that they will continue to get better (or be banned), and I'm betting that in a few years they will work almost exactly the way that we want them to. In the mean time, we're kinda pioneers... and with that, comes some hardship.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
(P.S. I'm not plugging any PV or any mod.. but I must admit... the 510 with the "spring topped with a blue Scotch Brite plug" really, really works well. It's a pain to pull the plug out whenever I want to refill... but no worse than refilling a cartomizer. And a 901 cart with this mod lasts dern near as long as a KR cartomizer does)

But... that's "tinkerin'".. and there we go!

LadyPamela

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Bay Area, California
Either the Protege works or I go for something more simple. I was a 30 year smoker and I want a big hit. On the other hand, I am tired of messing with it. IF I had to make a trade-off, I would go for simplicity IF it worked well, decent vapor and hit.

I just want it to work consistently, in the same manner every time. Dependability, I guess would cover it.

cerios

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Ohio,USA
The fact that there ARE so many mods just to get it to work satisfactorily is very telling. PTB, Straw, batteries, etc. Just need a solid device that works the same every time.

I am waiting for my Protege and new attys that I ordered. Right now, I have tried different batteries, attys, carts. No fill in cart, just dripping. Filling the cart, no dripping. Filling the cart plus dripping. Nothing is friggin' working today just like two weekends ago!! I have blown out the atty twice. No vapor or taste. Drip TWO drops and it's gurgling and still no vapor or taste!

I am ready to scream!

When I dripped a 510 juice would gather in the end of the cart and cause the "gurgling". Pop the little round piece off and dry the inside out.

PLSChows

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Either the Protege works or I go for something more simple. I was a 30 year smoker and I want a big hit. On the other hand, I am tired of messing with it. IF I had to make a trade-off, I would go for simplicity IF it worked well, decent vapor and hit.

I just want it to work consistently, in the same manner every time. Dependability, I guess would cover it.

I would go with a few of the others suggestions...the KR808D-1 but to take it a step further, specifically the VK from V4L. Steve's flavors seem to be consistently the best flavor (yes, they do taste different from different supplier's at least in MY experience) and you can't beat his CS if something does go wrong.

Pyrate

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I drip with my 510 exclusively now.
I dont use a cart. I pulled one of those rubber ergonomic finger grips from a pen and slipped it over the atty.
Its easy to drip straight down on the heating element and the rubber grip gives my teeth/lips something to hold on to. It also keeps me from burning myself if the atty gets hot from chain vaping.
Since Ive been using this method I have had almost no problems with my 510 (unless I flood, clog or fry the atty)
Now the battery life of the 510 leaves alot to be desired, but since I got my Bartleby battery life is no longer an issue.
Next Im gonna upgrade to a Chuck.

Madness008

Sep 27, 2009
Austin, Tx
when my 510 starts acting like that i just replace the atty. You can buy them for like $7 a pop. Im gonna start trying to clean my weak ones with vodka and see if i can bring them back to life, but if not its no big deal. Just buy a bunch of attys, and when one starts producing too little vapor and/or has a tougher draw, throw it away.

shasta

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
I hate reading this because I just ordered TWO 510 starter kits! I haven't received them yet, but I hope they aren't junk. I am still buying analogs waiting for my order to come in. Spent $100. I can tell right now that I will probably order other models too. I spend anywhere from $19-26 a week on analogs. I am hoping this will get less expensive or at least even out.

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
I feel your pain folks, it has been a real PITA to find something I really like and don't have to fiddle with. I first got a 4081 by NJoy and it was enough to make me put away my two pack a day habit, but it only cane with a single atty. Spent a lot of time waiting on a replacement so I got a Janty 510, not really better but the carts held more and it did seem to produce more vapor much of the time. Still a lot of trouble with all the batteries so I built a Nickostick.

This started a new era what with a 4081 and 510 mods, life was better but still the freakin carts. Because I drive for a living, messing with carts going down the road is a distraction I really don't need but thought I could live with. I thought I just needed more mod boxes to carry but was low on parts. I used a dead 510 atty to make a connector on a nother mod and ordered a 401 because they will fit the threads of the 510. The carts on the 401 are tiny and they just plain suck. After some very unsatisfying vaping I decided to cut the end off of the cart and drip a few drops in to try it out. Freakin awsome vape, very warm throat hit and all the flavor that the 510 did not have. The draw on the 401 through the 510 atty connection is as close to an analog as you can get. It has a ton of vapor and did I mention taste a lot better then any of the 510's that I have? I can also drip two drops into the end in less then a half a second and get 10-12 good drags from it.

I am thinking that perhaps it is the exposed atty that makes it so much better and along those lines ordered a couple of 306's to try with my 510 mods. I am going to build another 401 before to long but the atty has already lasted more then two months with no cleaning and no fuss at all. I have at least a half dozen working 510's that will most likely become connectors for 401's.

VaporCruz

Oct 10, 2009
I've tried as many different cart mods as I could find and I have returned to the basics.

Fill an empty cart, vape it.

I've been tobacco free now for 28 days, not long I know but over that time, this little 510 has done it's job, I used to smoke a pipe!

With a new batch of supplies on the way, I'm going to rotate four 510's like I used to do with my pipes. One a day. Use more freshly filled carts rather than recycle.

To me it's clear that a new 510 is as god as it will ever be and I can expect diminishing returns as soon as I put it into service.

Saving money isn't a critical feature for me, saving my life is.

Vaping is a substitute for the real thing. When I smoked I didn't reuse tobacco, I packed the pipe with fresh and used it up.

So I have gone back to the basics. Fill an empty cart vape it. Maybe top it up once or twice, then start fresh. Batteries get tired, passthroughs help, battery mods, too. Attys get tired.

Bottom line, anything I do vaping is 10X better than smoking. If it cost more that would be fine...I feel better, smell better and I will last a lot longer (I hope) by going this route.

Happy Vaping

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
At this point I think that one of the mods is the way to go. I also have a 510 and although I dont really have many problems with it, the batteries do seem do die way too fast. I get an hour at best and maybe 20 minutes at the worst. Also, the attys seem to loose vaping power after only a few days use. They still work pretty good, but not as good as they did the first day I used them. I have tried putting them on the USB passthrough and they still work just as good as they did when they were new. I think the real Achilles heel so to say with the 510 is the batteries, so I'm gettin a mod.

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
I hate reading this because I just ordered TWO 510 starter kits! I haven't received them yet, but I hope they aren't junk. I am still buying analogs waiting for my order to come in. Spent $100. I can tell right now that I will probably order other models too. I spend anywhere from $19-26 a week on analogs. I am hoping this will get less expensive or at least even out.

Hey Shasta,
Dont worry about your decision to buy the 510's. They are great little e-cigs and you will enjoy it for sure. It's just that in my opinion, the batteries are a little weak.
In my opinion, every e-cig has its cons. Some have short lived batteries, others will not produce near as much vapor as you like, others have crappy carts, so on and so on.
it's kind of like buying a new car. The car works fine when you buy it, but then after a while you find things about it that you want to improve. If you want a thumping stereo, you mod it. If you want it to go faster, you mod it. If you want it to be higher, you mod it, and so on and so on.

LoBo

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Marshfield, WI
I have had great success with the 510 by draining the atty at night. I take some paper towel, wad it up and stick it in the atty for the night. by morning you would not believe the amount of juice in the paper. the atty is almost dry. I have been doing this with two attys for the last month and a half and still are vapin strong with lots of consistency. I rotate every other day. I do not blow them out and have not cleaned them once. just drain every night. however you do have to "boot" up your atty in the morning by dripping a few drops vaping and repeating as needed. takes about 10 to 15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread