Wick materials. Safe vs dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilGrym

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Moscow,Russia (ecigtalk.ru)
This thread is not about SS mesh. I don't like it, it has it's own problems, so don't post anything about it, please.

Let's talk about wick materials for attys.

Not long ago I found that silica thread gives a needle-like fragments when vaping. Some people made their own independant studyes and found the same problem. The size of needles vary from rather big to small enough to penetrate lungs alveolus and stay there. Big fragments can make an irritating and injuring effect to throat, adam's apple,
vocal ligaments, stomach when swallowed. Small can stay in lungs forever or for too long time irritating alveolus, even to clogging it up. Simpthoms are scratching or pain at throat and/or adam's apple, regular voice dissapearing at the morning.
Here is some fotos:
new wick 05.jpg
used wick 01.jpg
:vapor: vapour condensate silica needles(1).jpg

I found that silica wick may be successfully replaced by a 100% cotton or bamboo yarn. Results are amazing.
Just one thing - you must boil yarn for some time (about 10-30 min) before use to wash away any yarn impregnation.

Yarn wick has a better liquid transfer rate, gives more fine-disperced vapour which transfers more nic to lungs , better taste transfer, less coil clogging.

Yes, if you dried out your wick it will burn, so the only thing it to keep it wet enough.

We made a croud test of organical wicks at various types of attys. Lifetime of a cotton wick varies from 2 days to more than 14, depends on use conditions. But in common is not less than silica wick testers reported.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
SS mesh gives a smack of metal, lowers efficiency factor of device - transfers heat outside useful area. too many operations to make it work. May be you just new in subj? I'm in subj since 2010 and tryed a lot.

Thanks, so even when it works well you taste metal?

Not sure what you mean by the "subj" line

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
SS mesh gives a smack of metal, lowers efficiency factor of device - transfers heat outside useful area. too many operations to make it work. May be you just new in subj? I'm in subj since 2010 and tryed a lot.

I am in subject since 2008 and IMO there is nothing out there better than SS in all the main parameters, TH, vaper production, flavor, and health. Never had any of the problems you state. The kanthal is metal and until it gets a little buildup gives off some metal taste no mater what wick you use.

Last edited:

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread