Wick materials. Safe vs dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I used it of course a year ago. When I started using rayon too. It soaked really good . It drys fast if you don't watch it, it will dry hit and it's like smoking paper. It's great till you dry hit it! I use straight rayon which is very resistant to burning and works great. Rayon won over the viva. There has been no evidence that rayon is unsafe.

Yohkos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Texas
Burner52 you and I are on the same page. I can say I have not had a sinus infection since I started vaping a year ago, but longterm affects that might come up a decade or two, wejust don't really know. It's the risk we take. Hey at least we know one thing for sure, we don't stink and maybe someday soon we will get paid to be in a clinical study. Eeew wonder what flavor juice they will use the study

Last edited:
Well when I pull out a used wick/coil it looks and smells pretty dang nasty regardless of the wick material- but not nastier than a cig ..... As far as particulate I'd guess that ejuice itself has some that gets vaporized whatever wick you use. Presently a bottom coil mini tank user (which has a very small amount of wick material that is submerged) I am not terribly afraid of using silica in that application but who the hell knows. So far I have used the stock Silica coils, Hemp/Kanthal, Japanese cotton/Kanthal, I have "Ekowool" brand silica (higher quality than Chinese?) but have'nt gotten around to using it yet. I find silica to be the most neutral for flavor. With cotton there's always a slight T shirt overtone- but cotton really cranks out the vapor- higher ohms and lower volts and time between hits should avoid burning. Hemp has a definite after taste that I'm not sure I'd want to vape a lot of- I had high hopes for it, but Hemp might not be the go to wick for me- also in terms of how my lungs felt- hemp was more like smoking a roll your own or a non filter cig, whereas the others felt like a filtered cig. Stick the same juice in the same tank with the same volts/ohms to get a feel for what each wick does for flavor and vapor. I boil and blow dry all wicks and coils whether its a premade or a me made, which I find really helps with the work in time.

Last edited:

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Hi fellow vapers---I seen a you tube video about a year ago that was made by rip trippers I think and he took his stainless steel mesh wick and rolled it across a cotton ball

a few times and pieces of cotton started sticking to it and I tried this and it helps insulate the wick from shorting out.

It worked well and helped to wick the juice better.

Reactions: Plumes.91

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Hi fellow vapers---I seen a you tube video about a year ago that was made by rip trippers I think and he took his stainless steel mesh wick and rolled it across a cotton ball

a few times and pieces of cotton started sticking to it and I tried this and it helps insulate the wick from shorting out.

It worked well and helped to wick the juice better.

Don't forget to pre-burn your ss mesh to oxidize it to also prevent shorts.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
You can also wrap a single (thin) layer of tissue paper around the VG wetted mesh (after pre-burbning), then wrap the coil, insert into your device, activate for short bursts to dry out, then continue to burn the tissue paper away until you can blow off the ashes. You are now left with a thin layer of carbon between the mesh and the coil. It works like a treat!

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
yeah i really don't know why, its basically cotton with all the useless parts removed through the magic of chemical engineering
id rather vape on that than cotton with all the unknown substances in it

It's not cotton, it's cellulose produced from wood pulp, then put through roughly 20 chemical and physical treatment processes.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
It can and has been produced from cotton scraps & plants. But doesn't matter all they need is cellulose to separate from the plant, all plants contain cellulose. Obviously trees are a larger source to procure.

They also used rayon in original kotex because it holds so much fluid.. Later they found it held too much and women were leaving it in for days and days which caused problems from holding that stuff in.. So now they blend it with cotton to make it not last as long...

Last edited:

jb783

Jan 31, 2015
Hazy, USA
just tried the cellucotton (all I could get was a 500' box, lol) 100% rayon based on a co-worker's recommendation. It wicks amazingly well, holds a ton of juice, and honestly, it has 0 flavor unlike the Japanese organic cotton. Honestly, I will never go back to cotton after this.

If you have not tried it, I would suggest giving it a try and see if you like it. I am finding it better than organic cotton in every possible way.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
just tried the cellucotton (all I could get was a 500' box, lol) 100% rayon based on a co-worker's recommendation. It wicks amazingly well, holds a ton of juice, and honestly, it has 0 flavor unlike the Japanese organic cotton. Honestly, I will never go back to cotton after this.

If you have not tried it, I would suggest giving it a try and see if you like it. I am finding it better than organic cotton in every possible way.

You are correct jb, glad you like it!

----;;;-----

Funny seeing you here awesome. Jk

Those things also burn easier, and taste nasty. There are also some proteins in cotton which contribute to that as well..

We wouldn't use wool or alpaca because of the high protein content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread