Wick materials. Safe vs dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilGrym

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Moscow,Russia (ecigtalk.ru)

I'm not a biologist, but know about air dust etc. But that particles i found really irritate throat & lungs. It's enough for me (& about 100 people) to go to organics. About SS mesh - how often you clear it? When the slag covers wick & coil temperature rate gets broken. Acrolein & other things... I just saw a foto of ss wick yesterday. looks awfully.
IMG_1366.jpg

by the way , what wick are you vaping?

Last edited:

EvilGrym

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
When you use a new coil & a new wick you have a temperature equal to vaporization temperature of liquid, but after some time a lot of gunk (slag) covers coil (as on foto above). there is not enough liqid around coil's wire. as the result liqid overheats and we get acrolein.

SS wicks relax your attention to the system health status, and you get unwanted chemicals inside. (pic above - a man doesn't clean it for a month. It works, why he must clean it?)

Organic fibers protect from overheat. They destroy themself. When you overveat , or overdry your wick you feel specific taste (smell of burning) . i don'n know how you call it in english, we call it Garry ( too long to explain, it's russian slang). So anyone who used bamboo or cotton wick matched, that thre is no such thing. Only "slight ghost of Garry" enough to feel it and add some more liqid, wick does not burns at this case. Of course, if you ignore this ghost you can burn wick to ashes. Another funny thing is that you can add liquid and continue vape on ashes for some time. For example on silica Garry comes strong and fast no ghosts.

From my experience i replace wick weekly. vaping about 10 ml daily. I use liqiuds with natural aromas (tincture of cinnamon or pipe tobaco on vodka) which gives alot of gunk

Last edited:

EvilGrym

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
When glycerol is heated to 280.°C, it decomposes into acrolein. Acrolein may also be produced on lab scale by the reaction of potassium bisulfate on glycerol (glycerine).[2]

From wiki. Are our atomizers getting that hot? I honesty have no idea TBH

of course yes. if you have not enough liquid your coil becomes red. it's much more then 280°C at least twice :vapor:
colours vs temp:
very dark red (visible in darkness)..... 400°C
dark red ...................................... 500°C
dark cherry .................................. 550°C
middle cherry................................ 600°C
Light red ..................................... 950°C

If the coil has any color in some parts it produces acrolein.:D

organical wick has a better contact with coil , because it's soft. Soft wick has better contact with coil, better liquid transfer , more effective cooling capability.

Last edited:

EvilGrym

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
So where do we get safe organics from EvilGrym?
:unsure: I don't know where you can get cristal pure organics, may be grow it yourself on a space station...
First fiber i used was a bandage, sterille, from a dragstore. I don't know what bandages you have there, may be with some antiseptic - thats not one you need , the most simple bandage sterilized with x-rays. (it costs here about 0,3...0,5$) (but some users recommend to boil it anyway to wash away factory dust)

The next was white cotton yarn. Just boil it, changing water for several times.

People are actively using bamboo yarn & like it. i'm waiting for my one, but our post it The Legend.

Several people report about tail of lipton teabags. Good cotton, but you'll need a lot of teabags :toast:.

One man managed to vape even on a paper, but this was too cool, so that idea died.

Last edited:

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
IMG_1294.jpg

I am the owner of the picture you posted and it is not one month but two days of vaping to form that ball of crud. I vape 5 to 6ml per day of steeped in vodka pipe tobacco in 100%VG no nic except what little that gets through in steeping. I wash and dry burn the wick and coil every two days. Here is what it looks like after washing and dry burning. I ordered some bamboo yarn to try. You can see the white ash from dry burning.

Last edited:

notsmoking

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
Vermont
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread