wicking BCCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
I just recently started making my own coils and ran into a problem wicking BCCs . cotton works great in my RDAs and RTAs but in my BCCs ( pro tank and mt3) it gurgles and floods getting juice in the drip tip. with 1 mm silica wicks this problem does not occur. using a 4 strand main wick with a 3 strand flavor wick they work great. I only have a problem when I use cotton. I am using rayon cotton that I boil before using. what am I doing wrong? have not tried cotton yarn but that is next on my list of things to try. any assistance would be greatly appreciated thank you

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Might just be you're not getting the wick density right. Too loose and it will gurgle and pop, and some of the popped juice will find its way up the chimney to the drip tip. Too tight, and it won't wick well, so you might be overdrawing to try to compensate (doesn't work :) ), and drawing excess juice up, with the same unpleasant result.

Cotton tends to swell a bit when wet, rayon tends to shrink a bit. I've not used a blend of the two, so don't know what it might do. I use straight rayon for my true rebuildables, but on my Kanger type BCCs I actually use silica for the main wick, so I can dry burn a few times before rebuilding, and cotton yarn for the flavor wick, which I toss on every cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread