Wicking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

slack3y

Jan 25, 2017
Hey guys I'm having a problem with my wicking. I'm getting dry hits when the wick is still saturated. I'm using a Tsunami 24 with 3mm 7 wrap .35 ohm coils. I put a decent amount of wick in so its snug.

wick.jpg

Does anyone have any advice for my problem?

Last edited:

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I find that if you burn the cotton once it loses some of its ability to soak up the juice. For me this usually happens around the middle of the coil. Try rewicking it and making sure its good and primed up. Looking at your picture the amount of wick you're using seems pretty good but your build looks a little lopsided(one coil seems closer to the posts than the other). This can cause one side to burn hotter than the other and so one wick dries out faster which also causes burning of the wick.

Out of curiosity, how often do you rewick?

Reactions: slack3y

slack3y

Jan 25, 2017
it's hard to say. Try wicking it looser.

Ill try that next wick.
I find that if you burn the cotton once it loses some of its ability to soak up the juice. For me this usually happens around the middle of the coil. Try rewicking it and making sure its good and primed up. Looking at your picture the amount of wick you're using seems pretty good but your build looks a little lopsided(one coil seems closer to the posts than the other). This can cause one side to burn hotter than the other and so one wick dries out faster which also causes burning of the wick.

Out of curiosity, how often do you rewick?

My coils weren't firing evenly so I moved one coil in a bit to even out the heat of the coils. I learned this technique from a youtuber. I also soaked the wicks by dripping the middle of the rda and watching the juice travel up the wick. I'm pretty sure I painted some juice on aswell after I watched the juice.

I just got my Tsunami on Wednesday, that was my last and first wick (if that makes any sense lol).

slack3y

Jan 25, 2017
I would recommend wicking a bit more frequently. Some people rewick for each new flavor of juice they use, some do it every day, Im pretty close to daily or at least every other day. I found that if I leave it too long it doesnt catch the juice very well.

Glad you got your coils evened out!
I usually wick every time I change flavours unless it's a similar flavour. Will that apply?

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Its all personal preference. For me I like a nice fresh wick as often as possible.

Keep it loose enough that there is slight resistance pulling it through the coil but not enough to actually move the coil as you wick it. Always keep the coils and wick good and juiced up and you should always have a great vape. Again, for me personally, I find that the older a wick gets the quality goes down, partly due to the wick I think, but most likely due to the coils getting "gunked up" and needed a good dry burn to clean em off a bit.

Reactions: slack3y

slack3y

Jan 25, 2017
Its all personal preference. For me I like a nice fresh wick as often as possible.

Keep it loose enough that there is slight resistance pulling it through the coil but not enough to actually move the coil as you wick it. Always keep the coils and wick good and juiced up and you should always have a great vape. Again, for me personally, I find that the older a wick gets the quality goes down, partly due to the wick I think, but most likely due to the coils getting "gunked up" and needed a good dry burn to clean em off a bit.
I tried making it snug but not too snug I didn't move the coil or anything. But I think it is too tight now that it's being mentioned.

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
@slack3y, I do believe your problem has only one answer...

( •_•) >--□-□

( •_•)>--□-□

(□_□) ALIENS!!!!

Did you get that battery rewrapped? ;)

Also did you set your coils again after moving them? As hotspots will cause the same problems your having, if not it sounds like your wick could be getting choked by your coil.

Last edited:
Reactions: lboyerbp

slack3y

Jan 25, 2017
@slack3y, I do believe your problem has only one answer...

( •_•) >--□-□

( •_•)>--□-□

(□_□) ALIENS!!!!

Did you get that battery rewrapped? ;)

Also did you set your coils again after moving them? As hotspots will cause the same problems your having, if not it sounds like your wick could be getting choked by your coil.
Haha hey man, no I haven't rewrapped it yet but I will ASAP. I should order some wraps tonight it turns out that site with the $1 wraps and shipping doesn't ship to canada. So I have to use another resource.

What do you mean by set the coil? I used my ceramic tweesers to adjust the coils so they'd fire evenly if that's what you mean.

Reactions: opticruby

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
Haha hey man, no I haven't rewrapped it yet but I will ASAP. I should order some wraps tonight it turns out that site with the $1 wraps and shipping doesn't ship to canada. So I have to use another resource.

Fantasic, It's just battery accidents happen very very fast and usually very shocking when they happen but it sounds like you have things under control.

What do you mean by set the coil? I used my ceramic tweesers to adjust the coils so they'd fire evenly if that's what you mean.

Yes, settle them down so they glowing evenly again after being moved.

The scottish roll method works really well that @Joergl100 posted, its all I ever use now in drippers, its also good to get your wick a little tighter with this method.

If no hotspots or hot-legs it has to be choked wick.

Rayon (celu-cotton), is also favoured by many because of its ease of use and (many say) better wicking properties, might be worth a look. Its a bit different to cotton wick, its packed more tightly in the coil.

Reactions: Joergl100

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
Ill try that Scottish roll out it looks interesting thanks for the suggestion!

I'm using cotton bacon atm is that celu-cotton? I'm not a big fan it's hard to rip off strands of cotton evenly. There's also these little specs of cotton in it. Ill have to look into different cotton types.

Cotton bacon (v2?), is a little different to rayon (cellu-cotton). I personally use 'muji' cotton pads because they're cheap, good quality and easy to work with.

The little specs in your cotton is just little pieces of cotton husk and nothing to worry about.

I told my wife the specs were caterpillar doo to stop her stealing my cotton pads to remove her eye make-up, lol.
She still belives it to this day...:evil:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread