wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

c4ppucino

Jun 2, 2015
Hi there.

So I'm pretty much new to rda (my every day go-to is subtank), and I kinda have a problem with wicking.

So I just watched and read about scottish roll recently, and got hyped by the claim of '15-20 hits before a dry hit' (whether it's overhyped, I don't know). So I decided to give it a try. However I couldn't seem to get it right. At most I can only get 5-6 decent hits before drying. When it's going, I got decent clouds and flavor, so no complaints there.

When I open the cap, I noticed that the wicks' ends (the ones that bend down to the juice well) are still quite wet, but the area around the coil is dry. I read somewhere that the heating coil creates a vacuum effect that pulls the liquid from the wicks' ends. If that's true, then the wicks' ends shouldn't still be fairly wet, should it? Is it the case of too much cotton? Too little? Wicks too long? Too short?

I'm using Airek rda, dual 26 ga Kanthal with 2,5mm inner diameter, 0.3 ohms, at 50 watts.

Thank you.

RT5A

Feb 12, 2016
uk
it sounds like you have a collapsed/kinked wick. try to Juice the coil and the adjacent wick BEFORE tucking the tails under. This keeps the cotton fibers from kinking . It's much harder to kink a garden hose while the water is running

The biggest reason that a wick fails to perform is because of an obstruction in it's path from deck to coil. Hold a tiny tool of your choice under the cotton next to the coil and support it while you tuck the tails under. If your cotton is kinked where it touches the coil, the juice will come to a dead stop right before it reaches the finish line.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hi there.

So I'm pretty much new to RDA (my every day go-to is subtank), and I kinda have a problem with wicking.

So I just watched and read about scottish roll recently, and got hyped by the claim of '15-20 hits before a dry hit' (whether it's overhyped, I don't know). So I decided to give it a try. However I couldn't seem to get it right. At most I can only get 5-6 decent hits before drying. When it's going, I got decent clouds and flavor, so no complaints there.

When I open the cap, I noticed that the wicks' ends (the ones that bend down to the juice well) are still quite wet, but the area around the coil is dry. I read somewhere that the heating coil creates a vacuum effect that pulls the liquid from the wicks' ends. If that's true, then the wicks' ends shouldn't still be fairly wet, should it? Is it the case of too much cotton? Too little? Wicks too long? Too short?

I'm using Airek RDA, dual 26 ga Kanthal with 2,5mm inner diameter, 0.3 ohms, at 50 watts.

Thank you.

To gey 15 puffs out of an RDA yoy need another RDA.

You need an RDA with a deep Juice well 7-10 mm deep.

c4ppucino

Jun 2, 2015
Hi, and thank you very much for all your replies.

Kinked wick may be exactly my problem. I installed a new set of wicks, still scottish roll, taking care of the notes above when I bent the tails. Now I got 7-8 drags with the same setup. 10 drags max if I fill the juice well full to the verge of overflowing.

This is the picture of the wicks
IMG_20160825_161137.jpg

Well, I guess this is the best I can get, considering all the factors.

Again, thank you all very much.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi, and thank you very much for all your replies.

Kinked wick may be exactly my problem. I installed a new set of wicks, still scottish roll, taking care of the notes above when I bent the tails. Now I got 7-8 drags with the same setup. 10 drags max if I fill the juice well full to the verge of overflowing.

View attachment 592971

Well, I guess this is the best I can get, considering all the factors.

Again, thank you all very much.

I think as Others have Mentioned, if you want More Hits between Drips that you should consider getting an RDA with a Deeper Juice Well.

That, or maybe think about getting into Squonking.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
View attachment 592971
Your wicks are, in my opinion, too long. I'm sure others will disagree with me, and I've seen alleged "pros" stuff even more than that into their atties, but I find I get best results when the wick tails are just long enough to just barely touch the deck. If the point of the wick is to move the juice from the deck to the coil, it seems logical that you'd want as little wick as possible in between those two points. The more wick you have, the more juice it holds on to, and all that juice that's soaked up in the wick tails is juice that's not on your coils getting vaporized.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I think as Others have Mentioned, if you want More Hits between Drips that you should consider getting an RDA with a Deeper Juice Well.

That, or maybe think about getting into Squonking.
+1 for squonking. I don't own any bottom-feed devices, but I appreciate the concept.

-1 for a deeper juice well. I find I get best flavor when I just "paint the wick" until it's saturated, but don't put any extra juice in the "well" (I treat the lip on the edge of the build deck more as a "drip guard" to help prevent leakage, than as a "juice well" to be filled up with juice.) The problem is, if you fill it up with too much juice, then yeah, you get to go longer before re-dripping, but the problem is that the juice sits in there for too long, at too high a temperature, and you end up just "cooking" your juice in the atomizer. This leads to excessive gunking of wicks and coils, and a foul taste that shows up after a few hits into each refill. Cleanest taste is in the first few hits after dripping, before the juice has been heated for too long. So when I drip, I drip just enough to get those first few hits, and I don't leave enough juice in there to sit around and get cooked. YMMV

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
+1 for squonking. I don't own any bottom-feed devices, but I appreciate the concept.

-1 for a deeper juice well. I find I get best flavor when I just "paint the wick" until it's saturated, but don't put any extra juice in the "well" (I treat the lip on the edge of the build deck more as a "drip guard" to help prevent leakage, than as a "juice well" to be filled up with juice.) The problem is, if you fill it up with too much juice, then yeah, you get to go longer before re-dripping, but the problem is that the juice sits in there for too long, at too high a temperature, and you end up just "cooking" your juice in the atomizer. This leads to excessive gunking of wicks and coils, and a foul taste that shows up after a few hits into each refill. Cleanest taste is in the first few hits after dripping, before the juice has been heated for too long. So when I drip, I drip just enough to get those first few hits, and I don't leave enough juice in there to sit around and get cooked. YMMV

I just Don't know of any Other way to get More Hits from RDA (besides going to a Bottom Feeder) than to go with a Bigger Juice Well?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I just Don't know of any Other way to get More Hits from RDA (besides going to a Bottom Feeder) than to go with a Bigger Juice Well?
No I feel ya there, I'm just saying that it comes with a cost. Each person must judge for themselves whether they'd rather have more, funky-tasting hits between drips, or fewer, cleaner ones while dripping more often.

Reactions: Lessifer

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No I feel ya there, I'm just saying that it comes with a cost. Each person must judge for themselves whether they'd rather have more, funky-tasting hits between drips, or fewer, cleaner ones while dripping more often.

One thing I learned Very Early with e-Cigarettes is that just about Everything is a Trade-Off.

Squonking lets me get the type of Hit I am looking for in an RDA without having to have a Big juice well. Or having to be tied to a Separate Bottle and a Steady Hand.

The Trade-Off, of course, is you have to have a Squonking Mod. And either Buy or Convert an RDA to a BF RDA.

Reactions: lboyerbp

VapJak

Aug 21, 2016
Wicking is by a creating low pressure under the coil - so juice flows from high to low

Then in recovery phase the air passes through the cotton to equalise the pressure - if the cotton is too packed it cannot do this. Low pressure remains in the tank and a drop off of flavour occurs, leading to a dry hit

It does not wick with capillary action - it is pressure differential in almost all tanks

Try first off, opening the tank to reestablish wicking or use slightly less cotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread