Wicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jester

Jan 10, 2011
Acra, NY, USA
Looks like I have to post over here, since I don't have enough posts, even though I've been a member since 2011 (back before e-cigs were cool *flips hair out of eyes*).

I was just wondering if anybody could elaborate on what kinds of material is available for wicking. I know about silica (have some serious doubts about that one), but what about the rest? I've heard of cotton and steel. What are the pros and cons? What about currently available brands? Do any of these degrade in nic-juice? Which won't leak?

A comprehensive review would be ideal, if it's already been posted.

jozef-3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Plano, Texas, United States
Just my newb 2 cents...been using an igo-l organic cotton ball for wick for the last 2 weeks...flavors good, vapors good, and no leaks. But I do have to rewick every 2 days(no big deal).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2 weeks? Yikes! I use cotton balls and been using the same once for 3weeks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The Jester

Jan 10, 2011
Acra, NY, USA
Kay, a few votes for cotton already. As I see it, there are a 4 concerns:

1. Wick degradation due to nic-juice (major components could be PG, VG, flavor [mostly alcohol plus some organics])
2. Wick degradation due to heat (from the atty coil)
3. Wicking ability
4. Ability to prevent free-flow (leaking)

Anybody that can comment on those things? I have experience with silica, and I'm not impressed. Cotton is organic, and as such, could burn, which gives me pause.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My opinions;

Silica. Wicks moderately well. Does not short the coil. Many people say it mutes flavor, but I have not found this. Flavor with different wicks is just different. Dry burnable many times. Various types available, but I have not used many of them. Some people have been concerned about silica particles being inhaled and harmful. I don't believe this to be the case.

SS mesh. Wicks well when tightly rolled. The finer the mesh the better it wicks, no matter what juice used. Will short the coil if the wick is not insulated like in the RSST RBA. Dry burnable, but I don't do this because of possible health concern. I take the wick out and wash/scrub it to clean. I'm the only person I know who does this. Last a long time.

Cotton. Wicks very well. Does not short coils. Can not be dry burned so needs to be changed often. A lot of people boil in water before using for health reasons. Many different types.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread