FDA Will the FDA regs apply to orders from overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
FDA can't dictate requirements to companies that are not based in the US unless they wish to sell in the US. So technically, no, the FDA regulations do not apply to foreign companies. If the company wishes to sell their products in the US, then yes, the products would then fall under the deeming regulations and have to meet FDA requirements.

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
Interesting consideration though.

And online reseller could just offer the product for sale and fulfill orders anywhere in the world. A buyer in the US could order it. I suppose the onus would be in the buyer to ensure compliance.
But given that reality, I expect then that US customs would behave much like their Canadian counterpart.

Sent from the road using Tapatalk.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Given that generally you don't get the product back from Customs, it would be a poor business practice to send items to a country where they stood a high risk of being seized. Most e-liquid companies in the US stopped shipping to Canada for that very reason.

Thinking that foreign companies will cheerfully send non-compliant items to the US is wishful thinking. Especially if items start getting seized. At that point, most will probably put the US on their "nope" list.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Given that generally you don't get the product back from Customs, it would be a poor business practice to send items to a country where they stood a high risk of being seized. Most e-liquid companies in the US stopped shipping to Canada for that very reason.

Thinking that foreign companies will cheerfully send non-compliant items to the US is wishful thinking. Especially if items start getting seized. At that point, most will probably put the US on their "nope" list.
Maybe the Chinese companies will just add a disclaimer with a check box...
If you live in the United States, and your shipment gets seized, don't blame us.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Dunno. I'm sure there will be some who feel that it's the company's fault and then file a charge back claim. Eventually, those companies will just flat refuse to ship to the US.
Are you trying to tell me a disclaimer with a check box won't solve everything?
:laugh: ;)

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
The crunch will come when there is a new mod or atomizer available off shore that American vapers want. Some will order it. Will customs have a list of all the pre existing products and check every incoming package to see if it's on the list?
But the new rules apply to juices, not hardware, right

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
But the new rules apply to juices, not hardware, right

The strict language I'm aware of is no new products after the August deadline. Monitoring walk in shops in the US is feasible so most shops will probably comply. If consumer packages with new vaping products pass through customs without interference the local shops will be hurt by that. So far this has been the pattern on the state level. They take actions that hurt the local businesses but don't actually do anything about mail order. Will the federal rules be vigorously enforced at the border on consumer mail order? Law enforcement agencies have a way of setting their own priorities. Will they be interested in the vape war?

A practical problem for consumers is knowing which products are allowed and which are not. I buy everything from FT. I don't believe they date their products for when they are first carried and that doesn't establish when they were first offered for sale. The US is not the center of the universe. Only 4% of smokers in the world are Americans. The global market for vaping products will still exist after the August deadline. The vape companies will "pivot" to the rest of the world. America will be the Cuba of vaping.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Good thing I'm happy driving a mid 1950s car vaping a mid 2010s mechanical bottom feeder. ;)
My stockpile is multiple SV rda clones from FT, just 2 different mods, Picos and VTC minis, one type of wire, 28 guage stainless, etc. I have no doubt I can vape for the rest of my days with no more vairety than that. The only reason I have more than one make of mod is concern about long term reliability. You and I must be Cuban vapers already.

Reactions: Glinda

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
America will be the Cuba of vaping.

LOL!

That was great input into the size of vaping compared to the rest of the world. However, because of the media savviness of the vapers in the US, a lot of the content I'm searching for are US-centric. I'm just wondering how that will shift when the bans hit and reviewers no longer are able to get their hands on kit.
Has anyone talked about the level of vape-discussion post-ban?

Reactions: Glinda

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
LOL!

That was great input into the size of vaping compared to the rest of the world. However, because of the media savviness of the vapers in the US, a lot of the content I'm searching for are US-centric. I'm just wondering how that will shift when the bans hit and reviewers no longer are able to get their hands on kit.
Has anyone talked about the level of vape-discussion post-ban?
I'm fascinated by that too. The cool guys of the vaping world right now are the popular American Youtube reviewers. They get all the free stuff. Who doesn't envy free stuff? But there are other reviewers in other nations. If we want to watch reviews about new stuff we'll have to watch them. Or may be reviews for US vapers will be like High Times magazine.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Good thing I'm happy driving a mid 1950s car vaping a mid 2010s mechanical bottom feeder. ;)

Don't forget that quite a few of those mid 50s cars have modern (well relatively modern) soviet truck engines in them. We could learn much from Cuba... Or for that mater anyone old enough to remember WWII rationing. Have heard of modifying gasoline engines to run on much more easily available kerosene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread