FDA Will the FDA regs apply to orders from overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
This is not good, the FDA can have jurisdiction over products sold or intended to be sold in the US. If bought elsewhere but shipped to the US they shouldn't be able to interfere. Also, if it's imported to the US for the purpose of reshipping it elsewhere it shouldn't have to be compliant IMO.

According to the FDA: "tobacco products imported or offered for import into the United States must comply with all the applicable requirements under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act) as amended by the Family Smoking Prevention and tobacco Control Act (Tobacco Control Act). Under section 801 of the FD&C Act, imported tobacco products, are subject to refusal of admission if, among other reasons, they are, or appear to be, adulterated or misbranded."

Reactions: skoony

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
The crunch will come when there is a new mod or atomizer available off shore that American vapers want. Some will order it. Will customs have a list of all the pre existing products and check every incoming package to see if it's on the list?

Discreet packaging is what they will use.

Customs is not going to open every package coming to the US from China that says "electronic parts" on it.

Reactions: KentA

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
So it will be like playing Russian roulette with your vape mail
Nothing wrong with a little Russian roulette.
It's what makes life interesting.
:laugh:

I wonder if they have a database of delivery addresses of packages caught?
And if that database feeds into their scanning equipment?

That would be fun.

If they don't, I'm pretty sure I could put one together for them.
It would sure be easy, and I wouldn't charge all that much.

I'd just demand a lifelong exemption.
Well, actually, I'd code my address exemption right in the code myself.

But if I moved, then I'd be screwed.
:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lessifer

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

Customs is not going to open every package coming to the US from China that says "electronic parts" on it.

This will only work if the overseas manufacturers use drop shippers.
The information on today's shipping labels can identify a vendor by
location shipped from in most cases. Things like billing info and,company
name would have obscured in some fashion.

Then there is this, point to pooint shipping solutions - Google Search with humongous files of data.
I do not know if China has something like our zip codes but,there large shippers
must have something similar to track and properly bill shipping. I am assuming
that if the government gets really serious about blocking imports it will not be
a big deal.

As far as the Chinese government is concerned as with most any other government
if one country restricts imports of certain items it is 'generally' agreed on to be
cooperative in these manors if asked. Check UPS,Fedex and the USPS list of items
not to be shipped listed by a countries laws. One item that sticks out is religous
materials. If the Fed's wants it restricted it will be to a great extent. Not immpossible
to get but, It will take some doing and increase cost's.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I noticed on the FT site they are informing customers about age verification and saying they will comply with both FDA and State laws. They also seem to say that once a customer age is verified it won't have to be repeated for every order. I have a bit more stockpiling to do and then orders will be for non essential items until the end, when ever that may be.

My impression is nearly all the age restriction laws apply to purchase but not posession. So is a parent a legal source for posession? My view has always been that parents should decide if their kids can possess ecigs off school property the same as they decide about many other things. This is already imbedded in common law. Responsible retailers and everybody else follow it already regardless of the particular item.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I noticed on the FT site they are informing customers about age verification and saying they will comply with both FDA and State laws. They also seem to say that once a customer age is verified it won't have to be repeated for every order. I have a bit more stockpiling to do and then orders will be for non essential items until the end, when ever that may be.

My impression is nearly all the age restriction laws apply to purchase but not posession. So is a parent a legal source for posession? My view has always been that parents should decide if their kids can possess ecigs off school property the same as they decide about many other things. This is already imbedded in common law. Responsible retailers and everybody else follow it already regardless of the particular item.
The federal restriction is solely against sales to minors. They're all "marketing" restrictions so really all of the federal regulations have to do with sales. States, however, would be the ones who decide if "distribution" or "possession" is a criminal act. Most make giving it to a minor a punishable offense, only some make possession.

Reactions: ENAUD

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The federal restriction is solely against sales to minors. They're all "marketing" restrictions so really all of the federal regulations have to do with sales. States, however, would be the ones who decide if "distribution" or "possession" is a criminal act. Most make giving it to a minor a punishable offense, only some make possession.
A kid who wants to do cloud tricks only needs a mod, atomizer, wire and cotton. Once he has those he's set for a long time. If he doesn't need nic he can get VG and flavoring at Walmart. My hunch is the kids are interested in the clouds, not the nic.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere

AND:
"As previously discussed, USPS’s unfunded liabilities and debt have become a large and growing financial burden, increasing from 99 percent of USPS revenues at the end of fiscal year 2007 to 182 percent of revenues at the end of fiscal year 2015 (see table 2 in app. I for more detail). At the end of fiscal year 2015, USPS’s $125 billion in unfunded liabilities and outstanding debt represented a $7.4 billion increase from the previous year."

http://www.gao.gov/assets/680/674728.pdf

Most of that debt and such is brought about by the USPS being required to fund it's pension systems properly unlike the rest of the govt employees pension funds.

Reactions: BuGlen

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
A kid who wants to do cloud tricks only needs a mod, atomizer, wire and cotton. Once he has those he's set for a long time. If he doesn't need nic he can get VG and flavoring at Walmart. My hunch is the kids are interested in the clouds, not the nic.
No doubt that is true for some, and I'm sure there are some teens that use them for the same reason most of us use them.

Reactions: ENAUD

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
No doubt that is true for some, and I'm sure there are some teens that use them for the same reason most of us use them.
Smoking is a complicated behavior that gets a hold of people in a lot of different ways. I stopped in highschool with no effort at all then started up again after some years, stupid. I think the longer you go and the more you smoke daily the bigger the challenge. In my case vaping decreased my smoking 80% from day one. Going to zero cigs after six weeks felt like about 20% of the effort it would have been. I suspect most kids are not as committed to smoking because of the shorter time they've been doing it and I predict they'll be even less commited to vaping.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

They don't need to open it. Running it through x-ray is sufficient to see if they need to investigate further or not.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
Since Fasttech sells more products other than vaping products, would packages opened for "probable cause" from Fasttech be racial profiling? Meaning opening more packages from China or Chinese people than another country? What about the % of vaping products they sell vs. other products?

I see that Ebay has not slowed down at all and I actually found e-liquid with nicotine on Amazon.

If you buy e-liquid 0 nicotine marked hand lotion or baking goods, how can they prove intent ? They are going to have many problems enforcing their regulations.
What's kind of funny as well is that Utah has banned the sale of any vaping products, and the state next door to them has legalized other products

Last edited:

John Vezirian

Sep 27, 2016
Damn.... 2 orders being held in customs in Los Angeles.... Was not thinking of things when did some pre-order purchases last month, that dates fell into this month... Got notifications from DHL that my orders are being held pending further information:
  • My SSN
  • My address
  • My Name (referring to me a importer)
  • Detailed inventory, description of contents, manifest, invoice
  • Name of retailer
  • Address of retailer
Damn... I think I am going to see about $350.00 get flushed down the toilet.......

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Damn.... 2 orders being held in customs in Los Angeles.... Was not thinking of things when did some pre-order purchases last month, that dates fell into this month... Got notifications from DHL that my orders are being held pending further information:
  • My SSN
  • My address
  • Name of retailer
  • Address of retailer
Damn... I think I am going to see about $350.00 get flushed down the toilet.......
I could not like this post. Sorry to hear your stuff got held, but thank you for sharing this info here. What company did you order from?

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    • My SSN
    • My address
    • Name of retailer
    • Address of retailer
    What retailer was this shipped from?
    Thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread