Status
Not open for further replies.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
Quick update:

1) Bought a CCTS from Hoosier today, 29 bucks shipped, helluva deal, (caused me to cancel my interest in the ChiChi CoOp thread). Still have the lavafire on the way too, can't wait to go unregulated with 18650s.

2) Been firing a 0.8 ohm coil, 4 wrap, 28ga, on the 7x7 wire rope wick with a 7x9mm 400mesh hybrid wrap, (7 mm tall, 9-10mm wide...goes around ~1.3 times the wick). I'm firing it on a modified Old Goat with a 14500 batt, and keeping them pretty highly charged, (4.2-3.8 volts), and have had zero issues. I have to tip the tank to a bit below horizontal once the juice gets down to about a mm above the lower tank plate edge, (less than ~0.4mL of juice left in a 3.2mL tank, I'd say), or else vapor production starts to suffer a little, but I've yet to have a single dry hit. Gone through about 3 tanks, last tank I vaped right down to only a drop or two left in it.

No dry hits, and still lots of vapor. I've started doing a quick water rinse and dry burn in between tanks, as I'm going through a little flavor changeup right now, and as a result I haven't had any juice discoloration that I've noticed throughout a tank. I'm also chain vaping pretty hard - I go through about 1.3 mL an hour, at a guess, and am charging my 14500s after around 45min of vaping. The SS drip tip will get decently warm by the end of the hour, but no burning flavor at all.

Have run the same piece of wire rope through, oh, 8 tanks so far, and at least 4 tanks on the recent hybrid wrap of mesh, and it's still looking and firing like brand new. The wire rope was originally torched for a bit until red hot through and through, then juice burned a couple of times. The juice burning is not necessary now that I'm doing the hybrid setup, but I didn't know that at the time. The small piece of mesh was just juice burned 3 times, no torching.

HAOVuqjl.jpg

Anyone else had luck, opinions, advice?

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
has anyone else noticed that your RBA gets quite a bit warmer when using the wire rope? especially when dry burning? the wire rope seems to hold onto heat quite a bit more, makes the RBA almost too hot to touch at times.

Mine always got warm, chain vaper that I am. I notice that after about 45 minutes of vaping that the drip tip gets pretty damn warm in my lips, but not uncomfortable. I don't dry burn very long, so I haven't really noticed that either.

The wire rope WILL hold twice as much heat as a mesh wick if they are both dry though, according to my earlier calculations, (and only about 10% more heat when they are juice filled).

I'm fixing to order some 3mmOD, 2.4mm ID NMR pyrex tube...after stumbling upon Scuba's multiple glass wick threads last night, (apparently I should have posted this in the Atomizer Mods forum, seems there's a ot more wick experimentation there...I thought that forum was just for making custom atties!). 2.4mm ID should slip easily over the wire rope wick...with any luck I won't even need any hybrid mesh...just rope and glass. It would be pretty cool to not have to do any oxidation, just slip a fresh piece of solvent bathed wire rope into the glass and go...

millertime660

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Central Mass
Mine always got warm, chain vaper that I am. I notice that after about 45 minutes of vaping that the drip tip gets pretty damn warm in my lips, but not uncomfortable. I don't dry burn very long, so I haven't really noticed that either.

The wire rope WILL hold twice as much heat as a mesh wick if they are both dry though, according to my earlier calculations, (and only about 10% more heat when they are juice filled).

I'm fixing to order some 3mmOD, 2.4mm ID NMR pyrex tube...after stumbling upon Scuba's multiple glass wick threads last night, (apparently I should have posted this in the Atomizer Mods forum, seems there's a ot more wick experimentation there...I thought that forum was just for making custom atties!). 2.4mm ID should slip easily over the wire rope wick...with any luck I won't even need any hybrid mesh...just rope and glass. It would be pretty cool to not have to do any oxidation, just slip a fresh piece of solvent bathed wire rope into the glass and go...

Where are you getting the pyrex tube from?

AmnNate

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
Charleston, SC
So, I just got done setting up my GTUS with the 7x7 rope at 0.094" from Amazon with about a double thickness of 400 mesh wrapped around it. I made my coil a little lower resistance than I meant, but the wick seems to be doing great! This is pretty friggin amazing. It does seem to get hotter after a long drag, but it also seems to keep up very well with the heat. I'm impressed. I'll admit though, I'm a little too chicken still to pull some great setups apart to experiment on some of my other rebuildable devices. (Not that it doesn't work, but why change something that already works, right?) Thank you again for sharing this idea and even sourcing the material for me. So far, I definitely recommend this.

Give it a shot guys and let us know your results! It definitely works and is easier to setup than a plain SS wick IMO.

Reactions: thetrucker

foggybottom

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2012
california
Reporting success with the mesh capped ss wire rope wick.

The setup:

72 mm of 7x7 316 SS strand core wire rope, OD .094" (Amazon Supply), washed in detergent, then cleaned with alcohol.
10 mm x 25 mm of #400 SS mesh, wrapped around one end of the wire rope (I found it easier to wrap it by extending it for about 2-3 mm beyond the tip so I could twist that part in a little point which I later cut off).
Torched and quenched the business end x3 then juice flamed it x3.
4/5 wraps of 33 gauge Kanthal, measured at 2.7 ohm
Aga-T+ filled with 2 ml 50/50 pg/vg.
Vaped at 7.7 watts.
Flavor: comparable to my usual # 400 mesh.
Vapor: volume just as good as all mesh, but less wet, and by that I mean finer. I like it more.
Sound: less throaty than an all mesh wick, more like a silica wick.

I have my theory as to why this thing works so well: the fluid climbs up in the helical V groove between strands which is not vertical, but maybe a 60-70 degrees. The height reached by a meniscus during capillary action is, among other things, directly proprotional to the cosine of the angle it climbs, henced the more off the vertical it is, the higher it can climb, I guess.
To bad it doesn't completely do away with the hassle of needing to isolate the resistance wire and oxidizing mesh, but it sure is interesting and a cost savings.
I hope Raidy, the original inventor of the genisis atty and mesh wick will see this.

Thank you Sortyjacobs (and Plume.91)

Section1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Metropolis, IL, Earth
I had good luck with the rope wick I was using with the cotton hybrid type top. Took it apart to clean it and was playing with the wire rope and flexing it some and noticed the black/gray coating came off in my hand. I did torch the whole length of wire rope several times like I did my mesh wicks to remove any possible oil or whatever might be there. Maybe I over did it with the torch or something. Maybe I shouldn't bend it either I guess but I didn't like that the coating came off like it did. I think I might try cleaning the wire rope without torching it next time. Other than that I was happy with the results.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Thanks for getting this out there shortyjacobs, great minds think alike. But your mind is greater than mine because you actually tried this instead of getting discouraged by people telling you it'd never work. I'm obviously going to continue watching this thread and I will have to try this one day. awesome.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
I had good luck with the rope wick I was using with the cotton hybrid type top. Took it apart to clean it and was playing with the wire rope and flexing it some and noticed the black/gray coating came off in my hand. I did torch the whole length of wire rope several times like I did my mesh wicks to remove any possible oil or whatever might be there. Maybe I over did it with the torch or something. Maybe I shouldn't bend it either I guess but I didn't like that the coating came off like it did. I think I might try cleaning the wire rope without torching it next time. Other than that I was happy with the results.

Hmmm, ash from burnt juice maybe? Or is your rope stainless? I went to Lowes today after seeing people here buying rope locally, and all Lowes has is 7x7 galvanized rope, which you would NOT want to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread